diy solar

diy solar

Hgher amp solar charging at the same time as lower amp AC charging

ahelwig

Im setting up my truck to do some remote camping for two weeks. Going to be driving several hours each day. I will have a 300W panel on my room going through a 150/45 victron charger charging my 230AH battery. Now this should be fine for the small draws Im going to be using it for. However Im thinking about backup charging just in case I hit some cloudy days or whatever may happen. A DC to DC is out (don't want to run wires to my house battery in brand new truck). I do have an AC plug in the bed of my truck. The problem is its not powerful at all. I can only use it for 400W or 3.6A. I did find a Battery Tender brand charger/maintainer that works at 3A. Now I know it would take forever to fully charge a fully discharged battery. I just thought it would be nice getting a tiny bit more charging in for the hours IM driving. So my question is:
Can I have my victron 150/45 charging at the same time as a 3A battery charger? WOuld they compete or conflict each other? The Battery Tender is a plug and play, I cant adjust any of its charging parameters.

Yes.

I have had two different solar panels/chargers feeding into one battery and also connected to the vehicle alternator all at the same time, and could have added AC charger into the same battery too.

The issue will be in what the chargers will see. I had two MPPT charge controllers feeding into one battery and that was fine, each charger saw the truth.
If you have an AC charger then whatever voltage that puts out will be what the other chargers will see, and smart chargers will think that is batt voltage and stop charging, or go into float. So, it will be the charger that has the highest voltage that will do all the charging in the instance you have one that puts out a constant voltage (not MPPT or PWM). This will not harm the battery, but will slow charge times.

Currently i have a DC-DC charger from the tow vehicle, and not really sure how that interacts, but I have the option to flip a switch when driving and the alternator will put voltage on the batts along with the solar. I have never had to flip the switch yet, solar is enough.

I may be totally wrong and I hope someone will correct me if I am.

But, wouldn’t say a fifteen amp charger putting out 14.4 volts at 95% efficiency be
15x14.4=216 x1.05= 227 watt draw? I

If I’m right, now you can get some charging done!

VictronConnect has some nice little Bluetooth connectable units

Last edited:
Im setting up my truck to do some remote camping for two weeks. Going to be driving several hours each day. I will have a 300W panel on my room going through a 150/45 victron charger charging my 230AH battery. Now this should be fine for the small draws Im going to be using it for. However Im thinking about backup charging just in case I hit some cloudy days or whatever may happen. A DC to DC is out (don't want to run wires to my house battery in brand new truck). I do have an AC plug in the bed of my truck. The problem is its not powerful at all. I can only use it for 400W or 3.6A. I did find a Battery Tender brand charger/maintainer that works at 3A. Now I know it would take forever to fully charge a fully discharged battery. I just thought it would be nice getting a tiny bit more charging in for the hours IM driving. So my question is:
Can I have my victron 150/45 charging at the same time as a 3A battery charger? WOuld they compete or conflict each other? The Battery Tender is a plug and play, I cant adjust any of its charging parameters.
A Good Question.
1) Your battery pack has a Max Input Amperage it can take... Typically, a 230AH battery can discharge @ 1C (230A) for 1 hour but only take 0.5C or 115A Charge for 2 hours max. It is generally better to charge LFP between 0.2C to 0.4C but that also depends on the class of cells in the battery pack.

2) As long as you do not exceed max charge capacity, the charge input sources are irrelevant to a point. You can have Solar + AC(grid/genset)->DC or other combo's as long as they do not collectively go above 0.5C.

3) The GOTCHA !
As LFP charges, Internal Resistance increases (as expected) which in turn decreases the amount of amperage the pack will take. Your EndAmps/TailCurrent for a 230AH Battery is 11.5A. Once the battery drops to taking 11.5A, they are about 95% full and the final 5% is to be completed with FLOAT (Constant Voltage / Variable Current) to top off and balance out the cells internally.

When charging from Multiple Sources the voltage settings (profiles) need to be identical so that the chargers respect each other. This includes taking into account voltage losses between devices. To work that out, you need a Very Good MultiMeter with at least 2 decimal place accuracy. Check the voltage @ the device terminals and at the battery pack terminals to determine "the" loss on that line. Compensate for the losses on the settings. IE: If charging @ 14.0V at the device terminal, the odds are the battery is getting 13.8 or 13.9, so you would up the charger to 14.2 or 14.1 to compensate. Each charge device needs to be checked, they will vary because of the wiring.
NOTE: Differentials also exist when discharging ! Look at the Inverter Terminals Voltage & Battery Terminals when discharging only... you will likely see 0.1 or 0.2V difference... adjust your Low Volt Discopnnect etc to compensate for that or you may discharge deeper than is good.

I am Offgrid Residential.
I can (and have) charged my battery bank with multiple sources concurrently.
- EVO Inverter/Charger pushing 80A
- Solar Controller pushing 79A
- External AC to DC Supplemental Charger pushing 50A
for a total of 209A to my bank (1680AH)

Remember that Battery Packs in Parallel divide & share Load & Charge proportionately.

Most important is to keep a reasonable & respectable charging profile that is not excessive to get the most from your batteries. Charging over 3.5V per cells gains you nothing other than High Volt Disconnects which handicaps your pack.

Hope it helps, Good Luck.

Taking this thread one more step. Similar as the op, travel trailer, been in steady rain for a week, so I have had to use the portable Gen to add some charging. Solar has been rare. SOK 280x2. Victron phoenix ac/dc 50a charger. So 25a charge per battery.

My question. I have my old PD 60a charger. Can I run it into the victron power in to give a higher charging rate (3500w gen) in order to reduce generator run time? The PD lithium setting is 14.6v or power supply at 13.6v. I would adjust the Victron to one of those voltages so they stay balanced?

Thanks

The problem is its not powerful at all. I can only use it for 400W or 3.6A.
Your math is wrong. You don't use the 120v output voltage, you use the 12v input. That 400W is as much or more than most of the dc to dc alternator charge setups on market! It is fed from the battery at 12v, thats 33A draw on the alternator/starter battery! That's probably as much as your truck alternator can provide without overheating.

Here, this might solve your charge issues. I have a 400W Tacoma, didn't want to run extra wires when I had 400W already supplied to bed. Here is the solution:

Back