diy solar

diy solar

Hi from central Portugal

Leylandbobby

Hi, happy to be here! I am very much a newbie to solar and want to set up various solar stations to help with the consumption as electricity in PT is a little on the expensive side. I made initial enquiries to local solar outlets in the hope of having somebody qualified do the instal and the prices were astronomical.
So I bought the items attached from vevor and Geleipu with the intention of powering the pool pump and filter (Intex: 26374NP, 9m x 4.5m) and if there was any surplus, maybe a few hanging lights around the deck.
Initially, I would try to run the inverter charger with solar alone as we have full sun almost all of the time during the pool season.
I can always run grid power to it if the need arises but avoiding that would obviously be preferential.

I saw on the Vevor FAQ page for the inverter/charger that it is recommended to not exceed a battery bank of 24v 300ah, and use 4 x 30a 300w solar panels in parallel to supply them.

I again approached my local solar shop for the panels and they told me that everything that I had bought was old technology and that I would struggle to find panels for it and my best bet would be to let them replace everything with up to date technology.
As I have literally just bought the components and they have many excellent reviews I decided to look elsewhere.

I am hoping that "here" is the right elsewhere😁

In essence, I was hoping that somebody could tell me what they would buy to go with my already purchased bits.

You can probably tell from my post that I am indeed a newb', but hope to learn as I go and you never know, maybe one day be able to contribute to the community.
Thanks in advance to anybody taking the time to read this.

Attachments

• IMG_2813.png
    IMG_2813.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2812.png
    IMG_2812.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2825.png
    IMG_2825.png
    391.3 KB · Views: 7
Just need some solar panels and you are good to go. The MPPT will have a maximum voltage so stay well under that (15%) as you put the solar panels in series. Post the max voltage and the panels you are looking at for best comments. Maybe link to the inverter manual would help. I assume you have read the manual cover to cover at this point.

Welcome. I love Portugal. Beautiful country.

It’s usually unfortunate (and expensive) to buy stuff before you have a plan. For example, I normally advocate for 48 volt systems.

Hope it works out.

Lots of info here if you have specific questions.

would struggle to find panels
Many issues with the Vevor unit, low solar solar limited, 75 volts, 600 watts and poor inverter efficiency.

Panel from Leroy Merlin, 500 watts, less than €100.

Electricity, water and people need quality instalation with RCD protection as required by the pool motor. It's possible the Vevor outputis are not compatable. Thus the systen needs test equipment to ensure RCD performance. As you are aware 230v AC installations in Portugal can only be legally installed or modified be licenced electeicians.

Thanks guy's, lots to check out there.

Bluedog225: Thanks buddy, it's the closest thing we've found to Paradise. A lot to be said about the benefits of 48v
Mike and time2roll: the more I thought about the 230 V installation the less I like it. I've even been looking into solar pumps for the pool.
All proper wiring sizes, all proper spec connectors, breakers and correct fuses, all in a made for purpose pump house built into the deck but I think I would still prefer no grid tie.
There is a switch on the unit to make it purely solar.
Vevor recommended an ideal setup as 4 x 36volt 300w panels running in paralell into 300ah of 24v batteries. (i've just noticed the typo on my original post regarding the panel recommendation, sorry about that)

The batteries are German engineering and I am very happy about that, it would seem, judging from the many positive reviews that the inverter charger is a decent bit of kit, so if I can get the best panels for the job everything (on paper) should be okay, it's just that there is such a wide array of choice and it's difficult to know where to start.

many positive reviews that the inverter charger is a decent bit of kit,
Amazon had 25% very negative reviews . If the reported inverter efficiency of less than 70% is true then the word decent is not correct.
Any solar controller with a 75 volt limit for a large solar array is poor design.
VEVOR brand lots of stuff, I could buy a Vevor cylinder head for my Toyota, or a Vevor patio chair swing set. They a branding badly designed low cost unit. Why don't you listen to your local solar shop. Products they recomend will work correctly and comply with regulations for electrical equipment.

Last edited:
Because the only people with worse reviews than vevor are my local Solarshop.
I had no idea that there were reviews for this product on Amazon, I had no idea you could buy it from Amazon.
There are no bad reviews on vevor for this product, but you live and learn.
As I mentioned earlier, the price of solar has risen exponentially over the last few years, to go Directly to a solar company is beyond my means for the time being which is exactly why I came here, for unbiased opinion and to try and make up the intellectual and financial shortfall.

I came for advice and I got it and I will be returning the inverter/charger on the strength of that advice.
Now I need to make a new post and garner some advice regarding a replacement.
Thank you for your input.

Can’t go wrong with Victron. And several other quality brands. The pool pump is a big deal and will take some quality equipment.

Check in here with a plan before you buy. All the best.

diy solar

diy solar
Back