diy solar

diy solar

How Can a Tier 1 System Make Financial Sense?

Tier One has no liability insurance requirements in Florida, I am on this tier with Duke energy
Technically correct - I saw this in an amendment to the rule that was not adopted. They can only 'recommend' this amount of liability insurance for Tier 1 systems. My mistake.

What liability? Almost every Grid tie inverter is Anti Island.
Are you buying the insurance through them?
Seems suspect if so.
The insurance is to protect you should the system malfunction and somehow create a hazard to linemen. You purchase your insurance through a private carrier, not the utility. I've heard figures of around $15 / month for a $1M policy. Each client is different though..

@markpj23, I think you are off on your expected kwh per day calculations. I live in north Louisiana which does not have the sunshine potential you do, and I get considerably better production than you are estimating. I have 10.4 kw of solar, in three arrays, facing SE, SW & South. I can get 50+kwh's per day on a full sunny day in the summer, and up to 40kwh in the winter. And that is using a grid tie Schneider XW6048. By using direct grid connect, with no batteries, better pv panel sun orientation than I have, and a 10kw inverter, you should get a good bit more. Maybe twice what you have figured. And that would make your potential payback look much better.
Agreed - or at least I hope so. My estimated production used the 75% 'rule of thumb' and due to shading, roof shape / position, I used only 4 hours of sunlight per day. Neighbors have some really tall trees that are nice for everything except solar production....

I'm also in florida.

I also have a "tier 1" system, Schnieder XW Pro.

In FL, if you go above 10kw, you must have $1m in liability insurance to have a net metering agreement with FPL or duke. When shopping around a few months ago, this is about $15/month.
If you decide not to have a net metering agreement, that insurance requirement goes away. That said, if you aren't planning on batteries (or at least, not at first) then.. NEM makes a lot of sense.

If you are talking a 5 year payback, I would say it still makes sense. a solid and reliable system will give you 25+ years of power. so "20 years" of free power, starting at the 5 year mark.

If your concern is about 5 years payback, and still having to pay an electric bill, consider the $15/month insuarance for the tier2 option. But honestly, being in florida myself.. I'd strongly suggest a battery system. going 20+ days without power is NO FUN.

9 days with no power after IAN, (But I had solar+batteries, so my critical loads continued to work)
23 days with no power after charlie, aside from what time I ran a generator... and fuel was SCARCE the first week or so.

To be fair, Charlie was so long because when the power poles fell over, it ripped the weatherhead out of my house, and I had to wait for an electrician to fix it and replace my main panel that was destroyed. most of my neighbors were something like 15 days.

One last thing to consider. You are saying 5 years payback. But does that include the cost of energy going up? Judging from our economy the last few years, it's only a matter of time if yours hasn't gone up already.

Back