diy solar

diy solar

How do you remove MPP Solar green parallel cable connectors?

SenileOldGit

Solar Enthusiast
Hi, I am trying to remove the two green connectors that each have a black and red cable coming out of them, from one of my MPP Solar PIP5048MKX inverters, so that I can fit the replacement MPPT board they sent me yesterday (it only took one week from Taiwan, pretty amazing seeing as it was over the Christmas holidays). I have stripped the head of one of the side screws on the inverter, because I didn't enough space to get a normal screwdriver up the side of the inverter due to the enclosure I have got them in, and I had to use a right angled screwdriver adaptor, and couldn't press hard enough to start the screw properly. Then I undid the two screws that hold the inverter to the wall (which I wish I had done in the first place) and found I had stripped the screw head on the side screw.. I thought it would be easier to just remove all the cables from the botoom of the inverter and bring it indoors to change the MPPT board, but I can't work out what's holding those two green connectors in place, and I don't want to damage them.

This is a screenshot from a Youtube video - they are green connectors with two ports:

MPP Solar parallel connectors - green.PNG

They plug into the two green ports on the bottom left of this parallel card:
MPP Solar parallel connectors - green2.PNG

If I had paid more attention before my electrician fitted everything, I would probably have worked out how they fit into the ports, and what is holding them there, but I didn't watch him do the wiring. It may be that they just pull out but need more force than I can provide with just my fingers, but I don't want to risk breaking anything.

On the side with the wires, is there a little screw?
There are two screws, but they are where the wires go into the plug, so I think they actually hold the wires in.

I will try giving it a harder pull tomorrow, Quattrohead!

There are two screws, but they are where the wires go into the plug, so I think they actually hold the wires in.

I will try giving it a harder pull tomorrow, Quattrohead!
I believe you will find that the green connector is just a plug into the circuit board, however, the way they pass through the lower metal bottom of the MPP you need to unscrew the circuit board first, and lift it slightly before you can pull the connectors from the board. This is because they fit fairly snug into the metal opening they pass through.

I've just had a proper look at the green connectors on my inverters (my inverters are only a few feet off the ground and it's difficult to get underneath them to look, plus I have presbyopia) - they use two screws each, which screw into the sockets on the bottom of the inverter. So I'm glad I didn't try to just pull them out...
(In other words, there are four screws in each connector, two on the front, which hold the black and red wires in place, and two underneath, which screw into the socket in the inverter.)

presbyopia = farsightedness caused by loss of elasticity of the lens of the eye, occurring typically in middle and old age.

Sounds like you have found your solution ... good deal!

Back