diy solar

diy solar

How does inverter connect to grid? (Schneider TW Pro)

FreshMonkeyU

1) I have a schneider tw pro inverter (see wiring diagram picture attached). It has the ability to send power back to the grid, how does that work; does it sync up its phases with power from the grid that's coming in and just attach to the main load center for the house with a breaker?
2) Probably going to just run a subpanel for now though, on cloudy days, it's going to have to route power from the grid to the inverter (60 ft wire run), back to the subpanel (another 60 ft) (assuming I'm not using a bypass and actually running it through the inverter), do I need to size the gauge of my wire for a 60 ft run or 120 ft?
3) Can the inverter handle a 10% voltage drop from the grid or does it need to be the critical threshold of 3%?

IMG_1092.jpg

The feeding to the grid for any inverter that can feed to the grid that I have seen just goes back out the ac in lines.

Remember to feed to the grid normally requires an agreement with your power company and they usually have requirements you have to meet to do it.

Not sure if you ever got an answer to question 3. On page 195 of the XW Pro manual it lists the AC 1 (Grid Settings menu) values for Default, Low and High Voltage disconnect settings range. For AC 1 inputs lowest setting is 54V and highest setting is 144V. That is certainly more than 10%.

does it sync up its phases with power from the grid
Yes any grid interactive inverter does this in order to connect itself to line power, whether it's going to export or not.
Can the inverter handle a 10% voltage drop from the grid or does it need to be the critical threshold of 3%?
This wording reminds me of the Blue Sea DC chart. You should use NEC wire sizing for all your AC wires.

Back