diy solar

diy solar

How long is this Top Balance going to take!

What I have observed with mine is that if the pack or cell is at a lower SOC when connecting the power supply .... The voltage will drop when connecting it ... Well, unless you are using the crappy alligator clips that comes with these supplies.
The power supply will output it's max or current level that has been set ..... and be in constant current mode. As the pack / cell voltage increases, the power supply will then switch to constant voltage mode and output the voltage that it was adjusted for with no load .... and the current tapers off.
If you attempt to adjust the voltage with the load connected there will be now way to know what the setting actually is .... It will very likely be set too high and when the supply goes to constant voltage mode the pack / cell will be overcharged unless there is a BMS connected for protection.
Hence ... everyone saying ..... ONLY ADJUST THE VOLTAGE WITH THE POWER SUPPLY DISCONNECTED and verify that voltage with a DVM.

Usually, power supplies are set to a specific voltage, and they output that voltage constant
That isn't how mine works.
The bank is charged when the amperage drops to under 1 amp.
That's not what the cell spec sheet calls out. It's more like 0.05c, right?
For 4*280Ah cells, that's 1120 amps* 0.05 = 56 amps at 3.65 volts would be fully charged.
So, basical once it hits 3.65 the cells are full and balanced in this situation (assuming there isn't massive voltage drop in the alligator clips)

What I have observed with mine is that if the pack or cell is at a lower SOC when connecting the power supply .... The voltage will drop when connecting it ... Well, unless you are using the crappy alligator clips that comes with these supplies.
The power supply will output it's max or current level that has been set ..... and be in constant current mode. As the pack / cell voltage increases, the power supply will then switch to constant voltage mode and output the voltage that it was adjusted for with no load .... and the current tapers off.
This is exactly how mine works. I can set it to 3.65 volts. But if the cells are at 3.2 volts, the power supply switches over to constant current because it can't reach 3.65 volts and displays whatever the actual voltage is, maybe 3.25 volts as an example.

Back