diy solar

diy solar

Ordered 32 LF280K cells from Amy Wan. 1 is damaged in transit. What to do?

Rhaski

Hi all,
I ordered 32 LF280K grade A matched cells from Amy Wan (Luyuan) and received them in December. The boxes all had a little damage but after checking on the worst of them, I was pretty happy with how the packaging had protected the cells and couldn't see anywhere that anything had got through. I really didn't have time to go through and unpack each and every box (it's very time consuming as the cells are in there real tight in the foam and life was a little hectic at the time). The project was put on hold for a number of reasons (battery boxes took a long time to show up) and the boxes were stored in my office.

I finally got my battery boxes a couple weeks ago, so today I unpacked all the cells and started getting them read to be top balanced.

Then I found it. One of the boxes had what appeared to be quite a minor U-shaped tear in the cardboard box and a little bit of the cardboard (maybe a thumbprint size) pushed into the foam. I had missed it when I looked over everything before as it really looked better than most of the other boxes that were quite badly damaged. But, when I went to take the foam package out of the box, it wouldn't budge, I had to actually tear the cardboard where it was damaged for the foam package to move freely. That cardboard was pushed into the foam a lot further than it looked. In fact, something had penetrated the box, gone through the foam and hit one of the cells and damaged it. The foam had simply formed around the little bit of cardboard that had gone in and, from the outside, looked pretty normal.

I've attached some pictures. You can see the patch of cardboard that had to be torn away to get the foam package out. Prior to removal, it really just looked like a dent with a bit of a tear. I feel like an idiot for missing this but, as mentioned, I simply didn't have the time to do a more thorough inspection of all the boxes and now I'm kicking myself.

So now, I am 1 cell short and can not build both 48v packs. I have messaged Amy and await her response but I wanted to know if anybody else has had a cell arrive damaged (despite her excellent packaging) and what happened afterwards.?

Attachments

• 20220929_144458.jpg
    20220929_144458.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220929_144505.jpg
    20220929_144505.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220929_144508.jpg
    20220929_144508.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 47
shit happens. Does the battery test ok? You can still build even if it is damaged, probably still ok to use. Obviously contact Amy.

Back