diy solar

diy solar

Deciding to DIY my solar battery was one of my worst mistakes ever

Where do I start?

I bought a professionally installed grid tied system with Enphase IQ8+ micro inverters. I had the idea at the time that I would eventually add a battery backup system to it as a DIY project. The Enphase system, as a grid tied system has really met every expectation. It is reliable (not a single panel of inverter has failed). I actually oversized the micro inverters over what was recommended. I figured at the time they were designed to handle larger panels so smaller panels would not push the micros as hard and there should be less heat build up and longer life.

On paper these micros can deliver 10.3 KW. Because some of my panels are east facing and the others are west facing, at most I get around 9 KW at the peak of the season. So to AC couple I wanted inverters that could do at least 180 amps of charging and 9 KW of output. I looked at Sol Ark and thought they were good, but too expense. I also saw some videos about them not handling surge current very well. I heard the Schneider Low Frequency inverters had great surge capability. One would now provide enough charging or inverting power, so I got the "Two Inverter AC Coupled combo".

Now individually, both the micro system and the hybrid system have many great features. The problem is getting them to actually work together has proved more challenging then I anticipated. First, for 1.5 years I couldn't get the micro inverters to turn on and produce power at all. Then Enphase released an update to the firmware that fixed this issue. Thank you Enphase. Then I could get on string to come up and run fine. When I added a second string in ALL the PV would shut down. Presumably, this is due to some incorrectly configured setting that I have yet to figure out.

So, I built a PV shedding controller to manage the PV strings myself and turned off the "AC Coupling" function in the Hybrid inverter. On testing this worked perfectly. My system always would have worked fine as a battery backup system. I could have used a generator during those rare actual blacks outs we experience, if needed. The thing is I really wanted to be able to recharge my batteries with my solar when needed. I have that working now proving that the hardware is not the issue. More than likely it is a configuration problem. I am going to try and experiment more with the setting to see if I can figure out why the PV shuts down and won't come back on without rebooting the PV inverters.

So I think my biggest mistake was just not asking on this forum "Has anyone gotten this combination of hardware to work together, when connected in this manner"?

At least I hooked everything up the way it was designed to work. Maybe I would have decided to try and do this anyway. At least I would have gone into this with totally different expectations. I see many new forum members here thinking that AC coupling is going to be easy. You just buy a bunch of different stuff from different manufactures. Then you plug it all together in a novel way that it was never intended to be used, and everything will just work. Sorry but with AC coupling it is just not that easy.

I also see people thinking they can just add a generator, AC coupled PV, and their Hybrid Inverter. Then start them up all at the same time and some magical electron controller will make electrons go where they are supposed to. In reality these devices are connected to an AC bus just like the one in your main electric panel. Now some devices such as the Enphase "System Controller" do have CTs on each input / output and they do actually have proprietary communication channels to control the attached devices. They actually can balance PV production, battery charging, grid power and generator power. Most Hybrid inverter companies can't do this. Grid tied inverters are not designed to work with generators. They will attempt to back feed power into them. Sometimes the companies will give you this information, but it is not always prominent. Like Sol Ark on it's "AC coupled to Load" line diagram has a little "Do Not Use" blurb on the Gen Input. They don't explain why. It seems like AC coupled requires a whole different level of understanding to get it all working correctly.

So can AC coupling be made to work as a backup system when the grid is down? Yes, but don't expect that is will be easy or that any products will actually work together, unless you know of people that have gotten it to work.

Last edited:
First, for 1.5 years I couldn't get the micro inverters to turn on and produce power at all. Then Enphase released an update to the firmware that fixed this issue. Thank you Enphase.
I trust that is a sarcastic "thank-you"... 1.5 years with no power ! :eek: OMG

I trust that is a sarcastic "thank-you"... 1.5 years with no power ! :eek: OMG
Just to clarify, this has to do ONLY with their off grid operation. When these inverters were grid tied they produced power as they should. They operated with basically perfect reliability. It was only when "cutting my cord" to the grid that I had problems.

This is an anti-DIY message specific to DIY batteries, so I apologize, but my message for the masses is, unless you know what you're getting into, consider buying a pre-assembled battery.

Deciding to DIY my solar battery was one of my worst mistakes ever.
I'm still not done yet, and so far the project has wasted about 12 million hours of my time.

Originally I was going to buy fully wired batteries in a box from Amy, but was told the boxes were too big and couldn't be shipped to my country. So stupidly, I figured I could do all the boxes and wiring myself.

Even for pro-level handymen, to do this right, with all the research required, the fixtures and compression and flexible busbars and sizing and building the box and top balancing and the BMS and the fuses and wiring... etc. etc. this is a really big project. For the record, I happen to be a pretty crappy handyman. So maybe for some of you this is a walk-in-the-park.

But my message for the masses is, unless you really really know what you're getting into, buy a pre-assembled battery. For the vast majority of people who are working for a decent wage, when you figure in the cost of your time, a DIY battery doesn't save you anything. I guess if building one of these is your idea of a good time, then go for it. But in my case, I'd rather spend the time doing other things.

/rant

Edited to fix typos
Possibly you’ve over complicated it? Can be as simple as lining the cells up, crimping rings on the balance leads, placing the busbars and screwing them all down.

No I get that, building a computer is easy, I didn't mean to compare the complexities, but the broad strokes of it all. But with the amount of time you've spent, I bet you've learned some stuff along the way, so maybe not a complete waste of time :)

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Shiiii--it! 20 years ago building a computer was easy... these days i just buy them as too many ocnfsing choices to track and research. So while I find the battery builds easy and fun, you find the computer builds easy and fun. To each his own, but like above you are learning something even if you decided to never do it again.

There's nothing wrong with that. The only reason why I have mine somewhat compressed is because it takes up less space.
i have mine compressed to raise cycle count, to keep the pack neat, and to bring my aluminum plates in firm contact to transfer heat in the winter from the heating pads. I used spring loaded rods to put a variable load that starts out at 10PSI at 30% charge and climbs up to 16 at full charge.

I recently completed my first battery build using nylon case CALB cells. I used a MRBF terminal fuse and corrugated plastic separators.
Do I qualify for "CHAD" status? Please note it is only a 12 volt system. :)
Are those the 180Ah from batteryhookup?

Yes so consider me out of the running for any experiments like, "can a Victron SCC that's placed in a freezer outperform one at ambient 75F thats approaching the temp of the sun due to less derating?" :)
Dunno, might be worth the doghouse for a night or two to figure that one out. :love:

Considering that buying prebuilt batteries would have cost me about $9k more, a couple of hundred Dollars of waste is not so bad, I think.

Also by using the savings on extra battery you can reduce the size of wire in most cases.
Example I have 4x 280ah batteries with 12kw inverter. The most one battery will ever see is around 60a. Wire size for that is reasonable
Why not wire oversized in that case so that if a battery or two gets pulled, you aren’t self limiting your power

Back