diy solar

diy solar

How loud are AIO controllers?

Geokilroy

In a smaller (28ft class C 12v system) motorhome noise is a factor to me. I have heard the AIO unit fans are very loud. I do not know anyone personally who has one to ask about them. As it would be mounted inside my rig, this is a big concern for me. Thanks in advance.

Get a unit that is convection cooled , also known as no fans.

The Solis 5G HVES is convection cooled and a primary reason I choose it.

The eg4 3000w is real loud while charging or under load. I'm in a 12x24 cabin and it annoys me and I have horrible hearing. Going to build a box and mount it outside

In a smaller (28ft class C 12v system) motorhome noise is a factor to me. I have heard the AIO unit fans are very loud. I do not know anyone personally who has one to ask about them. As it would be mounted inside my rig, this is a big concern for me. Thanks in advance.
Most motorhomes I have been in do little to prevent noise from outdoors. So if the sounds of traffic, loud music from neighbors, outdoor equipment, emergency sirens, dogs barking, people yelling, jets, and other noise of populated regions can be ignored, the AIO fans is just something to add to the background cacophony. Though mine can sound a bit like a jet when running full out in the middle of the day. BTW. the fans only rarely turn on at night from it. Easily drowned out in Summer by the A/C fan.

Besides the noise, also consider the idle watts consumption. In general, the all-in-one units seems to have a higher consumption than the inverter/charger units.

Besides the noise, also consider the idle watts consumption. In general, the all-in-one units seems to have a higher consumption than the inverter/charger units.
From what I've seen over numerous threads, when you ignore Victron and other Tier-1 equipment (read: super expensive), adding up all the different components in an AIO they're pretty on par with component systems.

I.E. if you add the standby draw of a generic (RZLB, Giandel, Weize, etc) 3kw inverter, 80a SCC (EPEver, Renogy, etc.), ATS, and central control systems you'd see about the same standby draw as a 3kw AIO within a couple watts. The price of all those components individually are more expensive usually than an AIO as well.

The fans in an inverter are usually much smaller requiring a higher RPM fan for similar cooling and not as easily replaced.

From what I've seen over numerous threads, when you ignore Victron and other Tier-1 equipment (read: super expensive), adding up all the different components in an AIO they're pretty on par with component systems.
With components, you can easily shut off the inverter and save severl hundred to a couple kWh per day. AIO may or may not have that,
. I have heard the AIO unit fans are very loud.
I have found going to sleep with a 31 db headset very useful. In the Rv I use ear plugs. I only wish I had done this years ago.
The Solis 5G HVES is convection cooled and a primary reason I choose it.
What inverter would you recommend for an enclosed RV installation? I’m a bit skeptical that passive cooling would work for a 1 - 3 kw inverter for an RV installation. Hope I’m wrong.

Just seems like you see a lot of Victron installs in RVs. Their inverters do have temperature controlled fans at least and their idle current draw is specified directly on their spec sheets so you know exactly what you are going to get.

Back