diy solar

diy solar

Pimp my Pop-Up, system check?

Preliminary build done on the 2 batteries, but it's about 20F in the garage and I can't feel my fingers so I'm gonna have to go thaw before I continue...

20240116_122243.jpg

So does anyone know how the heater on these JBD 4s BMS units? I've got a jack with a red and a black wire and no instructions anywhere in the box or on the internet including JBD's site.

Red to heater positive, heater negative to.... ?? Black wire? P-?

Anyone??

Sigh... just figured out I screwed up placement on my breaker box, so I gotta get a new one and start over. ?

Also, not having the right size lugs is making the battery build a real PITA...

20240118_133459.jpg

The 3/8" lugs eat up a LOT more space in that box than I'm used to. That little Y cable has to be EXACTLY the right size and shape, and new lugs each time I try.

4awg × 3/8" lugs are on the way... ?

get a european caravan (camper) heater. they suck in from below the body, and exhaust through a stack at the top, they use no fans, and are freaking screwing hot.

In my camper (a netherlands "windmill 445 " the heater at its lowest setting int he middle of -15 c weather is OK. any warmer and I have to open the top vent of the camper to keep it from getting too hot.
\
Popup so cloth or plastic sides with no insulation? (sorry not up to speed on US campers) either way lots of air leaks I am sure compared to a hard side. it seems to me one of the European heaters would be the cats meow. no electricity needed! its all convection and even the sparker is a piezo striker so no batteries needed to even light it off.

just a thought.

BTW I made friends in england with a dude who strips caravans out for parts... just a thought.

I'm told it works, but I'd like my stuff to get cold BEFORE we get to the camp site, not a week AFTER we get home. ? Those absorption fridges are just so worthless and it's not like I won't have the power to spare to feed a real fridge for a couple days.
then it isn't working right, any adsorption fridge I have had (8 in the last 40 years) will freeze your pop overnight if you set it too low. I think you will be surprised at how much power thoes bar fridges actually take to run. I have 480 watts of solar and 235AH of usable battery power (yes I know you will have over double that but in 24 hours running nothing else but the odd light when I tried to run the bar fridge in my outdoor kitchen as a test I had to turn it off so the solar could recharge the batteries that were getting very low. leave the absorption fridge in place and learn how to use them properly and save your power for the other things you want to use. Sometimes you may need to add a little fan to them to make them even more efficient.

get a european caravan (camper) heater. they suck in from below the body, and exhaust through a stack at the top, they use no fans, and are freaking screwing hot.
OK, I need everyone to sit down. Calm yourself. Maybe fix a stiff drink. I have something shocking to tell you...

Yes, I'm as sane as normal...

No, I'm not being held at gun point...

Yes, I've thought about it a lot and I've decided...

I'm NOT going to install a Diesel heater.

It's OK, it's OK, relax. I know nobody here would ever expect those words to come out of my keyboard, but it's true. The one that's in there is rated for 36,000BTU and works just fine so I'm going to leave it alone other than a tune-up and replacing the thermostat just because I hate the little power switch that's on it.

Really, I'm fine. ?

then it isn't working right, any adsorption fridge I have had (8 in the last 40 years) will freeze your pop overnight if you set it too low.
I've had many absorption fridges in my life and while they will get cold, they never get cold quick. When I was a kid we had one that we'd take camping and we'd have to start it a couple days before we left and it would be OK, but every time you opened the door it was another hour or two before it got back to temp. The old fridge at my camp we'd fire up Thursday night when we got there but wouldn't hit temp until Saturday afternoon. Maybe the 5 or 6 I've dealt with in my life have all been bad, but they've all been bad so a mini-fridge just seems to be the best way to go. Besides, a full size fridge is about 1Kwh/day so this little guy should be significantly less than that.

Quick cool for propane fridge. We put a bunch of frozen gel packs in ours to start the cool down . Put cold food in it the next day and your good to go

I have two of the sawafuji/Engel made compressor fridges. they use less power/wattage than the propane units when they (propane units) are using 12 volts, and they freeze a liter of water solid within 3 hours. make of it what you will, pay for quality or whine online repeatedly about the trash you bought.

Back