diy solar

diy solar

How much would it cost to build a setup that would replace a Honda 2200watt Generator?

Realmaplesyrup

If something like this has already been discussed please link me. I am a huge newbie but have been following the channel for about a year. I am just curious of how much it would cost to build a very portable set up and take down for camping or emergencies that would be 2200 watts or more.

2200 watts is not really something that could be said to be portable. That's 8 300 watt panels, assuming they actually produce 300 watts which they won't, and that's just daytime production. It all stops at night so you need even more panels and battery storage. Balance this against the fuel consumption of the generator and storage space for it.

What you really need to do is think about your loads and how long you will be using them. Grab yourself a watt meter if it helps and run your appliances for the expected time and use pattern and see how much power you really need. You may well need 2.2kW peak, but only 100 watts averaged across a 24 hour period. Check the FAQ section for the beginners video list. You'll find a clip in there that discusses working out what you need in terms of solar production vs loads and expectations.

Here is a rough estimate 2200 watts * .66 derate * 5 hours = ~7200 watt hours.
Weight is ~50 pounds.
400 amp hours @ 25.6 volts * 8 depth of discharge = 8192 watt hours
Thats ~250 pounds of battery plus a ~2000 watt inverter/charger plus wires and fuses etc.

I just re-figured for 16x 280 ah aluminum case prismatics.
Comes in at under 200 pounds.

Since you're comparing to a Honda rather than a cheap generator I'll throw some "quality" parts. You could do more for far less.
See also:

Item$Notes
Hand Truck
35​
Portable...but awkward (have to lay the panels out).
There's always a Gorilla Cart too ;-)
MAGNUM ENERGY RD2212 2000W, 12V INVERTER/CHARGER
900​
With charger can charge from solar, grid, or both.
Battle Born Lithium Iron Phosphate 100 Ah 12V Battery
1000​
1200 Wh, 2000 Watts for 1.6 hours per battery
200 WATT SOLAR FLEXIBLE KIT
With insolation of 5 would recharge battery in 1.2 days, you'll need a bigger SCC if you go more than 2 panels.
2,364​

A generator runs as long as you have fuel. A solar generator runs as long as you have battery and sunshine to charge it... to get true costs you need to know how many batteries you need and how many solar panels to recharge it. For that you need an energy audit... see this post for an example.

Update: The flexible panels might not be uber quality, but they are light! See Flexible Panels hit Prime Time?

Last edited:
Oh wow, ha ha. Thanks for the responses guys. I definitely would like to get something like this and 2 or 3 grand is not that bad at all. I am not in the market for it right now exactly but I just wanted to start thinking about it.

So lets drop the thinking down to actually something portable. Could you make it all fit into a suitcase style deal? I would want lets say to power a deep freezer, fridge, two laptops (of course those can be charged at night) two, lamps at 60 watts each.

Things like that. Like I said, I have no idea and I might still be being unrealistic but I am just curious what an actual portable camping like unit could do.

Th
Oh wow, ha ha. Thanks for the responses guys. I definitely would like to get something like this and 2 or 3 grand is not that bad at all. I am not in the market for it right now exactly but I just wanted to start thinking about it.

So lets drop the thinking down to actually something portable. Could you make it all fit into a suitcase style deal? I would want lets say to power a deep freezer, fridge, two laptops (of course those can be charged at night) two, lamps at 60 watts each.

Things like that. Like I said, I have no idea and I might still be being unrealistic but I am just curious what an actual portable camping like unit could do.
the only way to do this properly and get a semi accurate idea of what you need is to do an energy audit. Time spent now understanding what you actually want to run will pay huge dividends moving forwards. It will allow folks here to help you come to good cost effective decisions.
You need to make a list of all the devices, appliances you want to run, their voltage, their current draw (Amps) and estimate how long they need to run (either in time or as a percentage of time (eg a fridge might work 50% of the time). If you can measure actual watts used using a plug in meter then even better.
Once you’ve got a table showing this then post it here. You will get very good advice from there.

Thanks, I will do that sometime when I get more serious but for right now I am talking best portable system that weighs lets say 70 or 80 pounds. What do you think that would get mem

Thanks, I will do that sometime when I get more serious but for right now I am talking best portable system that weighs lets say 70 or 80 pounds. What do you think that would get mem
This info is probably the best place to start

Check each 3.2vcell for resistance when charging and discharging, do they stay within .5 because your BMS will cut off at the weakest cell(lowest) that could leave 25ah(13.4v) or more in the strong batteries, so before ordering cells ask them to do a capacity test for resistance and confirm with pics, or ask that the cells be from the same batch (consecutive serial numbers) grade A. Ordering components separate will give more control of quality of parts, no all n one systems.

Check each 3.2vcell for resistance when charging and discharging, do they stay within .5 because your BMS will cut off at the weakest cell(lowest) that could leave 25ah(13.4v) or more in the strong batteries, so before ordering cells ask them to do a capacity test for resistance and confirm with pics, or ask that the cells be from the same batch (consecutive serial numbers) grade A. Xuba is recommended. Ordering components separate will give more control of quality of parts, no all n one systems.

Back