diy solar

diy solar

How to avoid the tremendous hidden taxes on solar and related equipment.

Cheap junk tax.
Buy something cheap that looks like it might work, it doesn't so you buy the expensive one too.

I've paid the "Early Adopter" tax quite a bit, most of my solar projects were on their 3rd or 4th iteration before I knew this forum existed and the resources at the time were quite limited. Back then a Mid-Grade MPPT controller was MidNite and cost a few hundred bucks.

I wouldn't call it a "Stupid Tax" or a "Lazy Tax" since at the time the only people working with solar were the brand-new-fly-by-night-grid-tie-installers and major power companies. Not a lot of available information out there.

I will refuse however to pay the "Victron Tax" and buy an overpriced piece of kit just because it's "The Best" by popular demand. There is nothing that the $800 MPPT does for me that a $200 MPPT doesn't do. I'll never understand the big desire for equipment that requires bluetooth and constant internet connection and such for an off-grid cabin that has no internet or cell access.

But that's just me. I'm going to go hide from the Victron Mob now. :)
big agree on value per unit utility.

not all victron devices use bluetooth.. i refuse to reward wireless only devices.. anti operator grounds.

the bluesolar line is still overpriced, yet has wired UART serial data communication.

any device that does not provide basic operational data to system operator, is as good as garbage to me.

epever seems to have serial data interface, at a more reasonable point

access to local hardware operational data is a fundamental operational requirement for me.

big respect for all those who resist hardware feature price inflation.

open research enables this freedom.

Back