diy solar

diy solar

How to calc min cable size to how much distance

alishac

So I thought I was calculating this right but I'm thinking I'm wrong.

I was testing a solar blanket, it had a 30a powerpole anderson connectors obviously not the real brand but a cheap copy. and I think awg 13 cable from the inside lil box to the powerpole. It was testing good at 192w for a 180w blanket but I wanted to put a 50a anderson on which I did.. crimped the connectors and when I checked it with elejoy 800w tester which I tested it before on the 30a powerpole.. But when testing on the newly 50a anderson it came up as 172w.. Now that is on a different day and on a very hot midday sun day compared to the 182w day it was much cooler on midday. So I don't think it was a connection issue but I will do tests to see if it is...

Question is when putting numbers into dc voltage drop calc for the voltage do I put the battery voltage or the panel's VOC or the panels VMP in then the ft/m I want the cable to run and the amps to find out the mint cable requirement? The battery voltage is 12v, the panel voc is 26.2, the vmp is 22.3 so which do I put in the voltage point because I did a test with 4mm2 solar cable thinking that maybe ok because when I put the VOC in the dc calc it says awg 12 which is 4mm2 but when I did a test from panel to my victron 100/30 it was showing 122w over 32ft cable which like I said when putting VOC in it says 4mm2 cable for 3% voltage drop.. Is this correct?

With PV wiring, you use the isc number I think... the max amps the system is capable of.
And you multiply that times the number of panels in parallel.

For voltage, you would use thw vmp. Voc is a number for calculating peak voltage for equipment protection.

Back