diy solar

diy solar

How to connect 10 Longi 550 panels to a growatt spf 5000es?

Jd01

Hi I have 10 Longi panels rated for 550w( 49.8 voc and 13.12 a). I was thinking of 2 strings in parallel with 5 panels each and a combiner box to link both strings before connecting it to the inverter? Is this configuration possible since the inverter has 18a as max pv ampere input? And I would like to ask if their any risk of damaging the inverter?

550w( 49.8 voc and 13.12 a). I was thinking of 2 strings in parallel with 5 panels each
Does the growatt accept over (5x 49.8Voc + temp compensation ) as max input voltage?
If so, 5S2P sounds good, best if the Vmp x 5 is within the MPPT (optimized range, if stated) range.

inverter has 18a as max pv ampere input?
Thats max usable amps. The amps are pulled by the SCC.

Does the growatt accept over (5x 49.8Voc + temp compensation ) as max input voltage?
If so, 5S2P sounds good, best if the Vmp x 5 is within the MPPT (optimized range, if stated) range.

Thats max usable amps. The amps are pulled by the SCC.
Thanks for your reply, the inverter has the following specs : max pv power of 6000w, a max VOC of 450v and a working range of 120 to 430v. I want to put parallel string to compensate for shading since the location of the panel is partially shaded. Theoretically 5s2p should give me 250 v voc with in the working voltage range of the mppt. But my concern is about the amperage with 5s2p, the setup should provide 26.24A as an imput for the inverter. Since you have mentioned that the 18A is the max Iscc, providing 26A have no risk demaging the inverter? I know also 5s2p setup will come with some solar power clipping, but my main concern is high amperage values at the mppt input 26A>18A, for that I am asking to be sure if 5s2p is safe or should I stick with 8s instead.

Since you have mentioned that the 18A is the max Iscc, providing 26A have no risk demaging the inverter?
The inverter pulls what it needs/wants so what the array is capable of providing will not harm it.

Consider what happens when you plug in a 2W night light into a 15A receptacle. The light only pulls what it needs (2W / 120V = .016A). If amps were pushed, 15A would surely destroy it or most things we plug in at home.

Your wiring will need to handle 26A, which depends on the wire length as well.

Since you have mentioned that the 18A is the max Iscc, providing 26A have no risk demaging the inverter?
As previously mentioned, a SCC only draws what it can use.
I had over 80 amps worth of panels connected to the same unit, for several months. 18 amps is all that it ever pulled. I now have them split across two units. About 40 amps each. 18 amps is all that either will draw.

Latest version of the firmware should upgrade the max amps to 22A acc. to Growatt.
Thinking of doing 5S2P myself in the spring. Have almost the same panels, 540W.

Latest version of the firmware should upgrade the max amps to 22A acc. to Growatt.
Thinking of doing 5S2P myself in the spring. Have almost the same panels, 540W.
Are you sure about the 22A since on the sticker they only put 18A. How can I check my firmware version and if it is outdated how could I upgrade it.

Your wiring will need to handle 26A, which depends on the wire length as well.
Actually, it only needs to handle the expected current. (18a or 22a, depending on version)
With OCP correctly sized for the wire. (If required)

You have revised HW version of the 5000ES. Those have slightly different firmware than the older type which I have and also different numbering. I am unsure what that 10.4 supports or not.
Could be a good idea to contact Growatt and get them to send you the newest version for your hardware and also ask if you already have 22A support - maybe you do not have to upgrade ^^.
Mention that you would like to use the full 22A instead of 18A.

Back