diy solar

diy solar

How to connect a combined wind and solar system

s1657

Hi guys,

I live in an off-grid cabin up in the Coastal Mountains of BC, Canada.
I have both solar and wind systems on a 24V lithium battery bank. I have two solar arrays. One facing South and one facing West.

I would like to upgrade and switch all my components to Victron and I was wondering about a couple things:
1. Can I use the Smart Shunt as a regular Shunt to monitor the income from the West solar array and the South array? Can I program the Cerbo GX to show what?
2. Do you have any idea how to charge the batteries with a Victron device? Victron doesn't have a wind charge controller and I don't think I can just use the solar one since a wind turbine will keep generating power even when the batteries are full.
I thought about connecting the Victron battery protector between the batteries and the dump load and when the batteries get to the maximum voltage, the battery protector will "close" and power will be transferred into the dump load.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hi guys,

I live in an off-grid cabin up in the Coastal Mountains of BC, Canada.
I have both solar and wind systems on a 24V lithium battery bank. I have two solar arrays. One facing South and one facing West.

I would like to upgrade and switch all my components to Victron and I was wondering about a couple things:
1. Can I use the Smart Shunt as a regular Shunt to monitor the income from the West solar array and the South array? Can I program the Cerbo GX to show what?

Yes. Victron smartshunt/BMV can be configured as an energy monitor.

If code compliance is a concern, very few Victron inverters are UL approved.

2. Do you have any idea how to charge the batteries with a Victron device? Victron doesn't have a wind charge controller and I don't think I can just use the solar one since a wind turbine will keep generating power even when the batteries are full.

Victron has no solutions for wind. Folks who REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING, have successfully used dedicated MPPT for both Hydro and Wind, but it is 1000% unsupported.

Recommend you retain your existing wind controller and use a shunt as an energy monitor to track the wind power.

Back