diy solar

diy solar

How to connect multiple 4/0 wire for AC

DIYrich

Solar Wizard
I'm thinking of how to parallel two Sol-ark 15k to increase grid down peak ability. In theory, putting the grid and load lines in parallel is not complex. However, in reviewing connection options, I couldn't find an easy way to connect three 4/0 wires together to handle the 200 amps from grid into each inverter, and combine the Load lines to the Main Service panel.

Is Busbar the option? Crip a connector to 4/0 wire? Same as combining battery wires?

Or, find a connector with 4/0 on the input side, and two 2/0 connections on the Sol-ark side? I'm thinking if any one Sol-ark goes down, I would need 4/0 wire to the Sol-ark to handle the full load.

I'm thinking of how to parallel two Sol-ark 15k to increase grid down peak ability. In theory, putting the grid and load lines in parallel is not complex. However, in reviewing connection options, I couldn't find an easy way to connect three 4/0 wires together to handle the 200 amps from grid into each inverter, and combine the Load lines to the Main Service panel.

Is Busbar the option? Crip a connector to 4/0 wire? Same as combining battery wires?

Or, find a connector with 4/0 on the input side, and two 2/0 connections on the Sol-ark side? I'm thinking if any one Sol-ark goes down, I would need 4/0 wire to the Sol-ark to handle the full load.

3/0 copper is enough for L1 & L2, and 2/0 for neutral.

The above solutions require a junction box if you are not using a trough already. I have used Midwest electrics terminal boxes for years. Good stuff and UL listed for splicing. Depending on your setup, splicing may not be allowed inside your raceways. Not sure how its wired/conduit/trough/etc... My AHJ, state inspectors, local POCO's have approved this for use as a supply side tap for larger solar installations. Any utility/inspector wont approve a DIY buss bar due to no UL listing.

https://www.midwestelectric.com/products/terminal-boxes/terminal-boxes-0
terminalbox-300x300.jpg

Back