diy solar

diy solar

How to Handle Neutrals with Two Gen Inlets?

pepmint

I have had a generator inlet on the exterior of my home for several years, which I use in conjunction with a gasoline generator and an interlock switch at the main panel. I have a new Ecoflow Delta Ultra and I am adding a second inlet inside of my garage.

I plan to use a manual transfer switch to change the connection from the exterior inlet to the interior inlet. Both the generator and the Ecoflow have floating neutrals and therefore not considered “separately derived systems”. I rely on the main panel to provide my bonded neutral.

My question is, can I use a Double Pole Double Throw switch for this purpose such as https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Generator-General-Duty-120V-240V-100A/dp/B0D73TND4W and then tie all of the neutrals together inside the switch?

Or do I need a Triple Pole Double Throw switch like this, which will switch the neutrals? https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-DTGNF323R-100-Amp-240-volt-Non-Fused/dp/B00TEADJ0A

I’d prefer the first option because it is 25% of the price, but I believe it will result in the not in use inlet carrying current on the neutral.

Of course, 99.99% of the time, both inlets will be electrically disconnected by way of the interlock. My concern is only for when one of the inlets is energized.

<Not an electrician>
The neutrals on both inlets should be tied together.
There is no current that can flow on the neutral unless there is a hot available as well.
The not-in-use inlet would not be considered energized if just neutral is connected.

As you know, the neutral is bonded to ground anyway. If you stick your finger into the inlet and touch the neutral, nothing will happen.
Same as with a regular outlet, you can touch the white wire all day and not feel anything, but don't touch the black or red ones.

I have two inlets as well, but instead of going with a transfer switch, I just use a 2 ft jumper (cut from a piece of generator cable) from the inputbox receptacle to the power display input that I built. One benefit to this is that I can use the generator receptacle to send power directly to my Chargeverter to power the battery rack while the Inverter powers the house. My inverter is larger than my generator and can start my 4 ton HVAC unit.
1721172958412.png

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back