diy solar

diy solar

How to keep your batteries warm - hot water tank jacket

We have solar powered batteries on the automatic gate openers on our farm in Illinois. Temps typically get well below 0F and have gone as low as -30F in the past few years. I've experimented with a variety of ways to keep the batteries from freezing in the winter. Here is a typical example of a gate in the summer, that's a deep cycle marine battery:
1007231403_HDR.jpg

The biggest complication I encountered trying to make an insulated box was condensation inside whatever I built because of the moisture in the air and the wide temperature swings from day to night inside the box. The best solution I found is an insulated ice chest like you use at the beach in the summer. Here's one of my experiments as an example, I took the lid off the ice chest and put it upside down on the ground, then used a heating pad made for a car battery. I put a piece of ceramic tile on top of a piece of wood, then the heating pad, then a ceramic tile, then put the battery on top of the tile and covered it with the ice chest. The short version is I set that piece of wood on fire in the middle of the night and it's lucky I didn't melt the battery and start our trees on fire. I didn't think about how high the energy density is in that kind of heater and how hot it gets when it's well insulated.
1201221044.jpg

So I eliminated the heater and just set the battery on top of the upside down lid then covered it with the big part of the chest and put a remote temperature sensor inside the chest and set the whole thing on the ground on a piece of insulated foam board. That has proven to be adequate without any supplemental heat, it is generally 10-20F hotter in the chest than outside which is enough to help the battery keep from freezing. It helps that the box is in the sun all day. I also had to vent the chest since this is a lead acid battery, so I drilled a small hole in the top of the chest and put a piece of aquarium tubing in the hole as a vent.

If I had to do this for a large bank of solar batteries I would build some kind of box insulated with pink foam and make it as airtight as I could since you don't need to vent LiFePo batteries. That should help reduce the air exchange in the box that feeds the condensing moisture. I'd put a temp sensor inside so I could monitor how large the temperature swings were, and whether it was getting close to the dew point. I don't think condensing moisture can hurt a battery, but I think it provides an environment for small current drains and for mold to grow. All this depends on your climate, we can see 40F on a sunny winter day and it frequently gets well below 0F at night, we've had stretches of -30F that lasted 3 days. If this was near my house I'd probably hang some fire suppression balls above the enclosure just so I could sleep at night.

that's a deep cycle marine battery:
Which are nearly irrelevant in regards to being low temperature damaged.
My first three-ish years of solar I used marine batteries which functioned as expected and were fine to as low as -39*F (-40C)

Back