diy solar

diy solar

How to know if you lost 120vac power

I mean...
You could have an led tied to the shore power socket...
It would be ON whenever you are plugged into shore power...

No relays, no wiring, just hook it to the incoming shore power...

No?
I've thought of that but then when the light is out, it feels like it'd be an "out of sight out of mind" kind of thing. I'd rather the light be ON when we're running on battery. It may seem somewhat counter intuitive to some but not to me ... my brain may work differently than others too.

I've thought of that but then when the light is out, it feels like it'd be an "out of sight out of mind" kind of thing. I'd rather the light be ON when we're running on battery. It may seem somewhat counter intuitive to some but not to me ... my brain may work differently than others too.
To do it, you would just need to tie a relay to be energized by shore power to open a light switch.
Then, whenever you are not connected to shore power, the light is on...
But then ANY TIME you are on the road, or running from battery for any reason, the light is on.

To do it, you would just need to tie a relay to be energized by shore power to open a light switch.
Then, whenever you are not connected to shore power, the light is on...
But then ANY TIME you are on the road, or running from battery for any reason, the light is on.
Yes, that is exactly what I'm looking for! However, since I'm not good at electronic crap, I don't know how to do it.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm looking for! However, since I'm not good at electronic crap, I don't know how to do it.
Nothing electronic about it.
Just a 120V relay wired to break a circuit when energized, and make it when de-energized.
Easy.

Get a box, a 120V relay with N/o and N/C contacts...
Hook up the line to shore power to power the relay, feed battery power to common on the relay, and hook n/C to the light...

l find warning lights catch attention better. For example my fridge has a dumb light on constantly. I put electrical tape over it. But it also has a CHECK light when propane dies. That sucker catches attention right away.

The point of the small/single LED light is for it to be seen 100% of the time like an indicator light, not something that blares a loud sound so you can't sleep.

I'm looking into Supervstech's idea with the relays. I just don't know anything about relays so I need to learn 1st.

They make a bunch of other ones to alert if power outage. I thought there used to be light bulbs with built in batteries so they work when the powers out. Idk if they auto turn on.

Commercial buildings must have emergency lighting for power outages they're usually on the exit signs. I'm surprised you can't Google or check Amazon for some cheap Chinese dim led model of them

The one indicated has both a LED and a piezzo speaker...perhaps the judicious application of some wire cutters (or if your feeling particularly classy, a toggle switch!) would tune it to your exact specifications ...

There's lots of pre-assembled products that do what you want. For less than $10, it might be easier just to buy one.

Something like this would do what you want, and I'm sure it would be pretty easy to find one with a light rather than an alarm, although the alarm might be more useful.

I have a couple of water sensors from the same company, they work great.

QWORK Power Failure Alarm, 2 Pack Automatic Power Cut Failure Outage Alarm 120db LED Indicator Smart Warning Siren Power by 9V Battery (NOT Included), Plug 220V https://a.co/d/e7Hvknc

There's lots of pre-assembled products that do what you want. For less than $10, it might be easier just to buy one.

View attachment 170597
However, all of our outlets and appliances (outlets, TV, microwave, A/C, etc.) are live all the time because I wired them that way with the Mulitplus. So, plugging something into an outlet won't do anything for me because, if we lost 120vac to the rv, the batteries will take over and power that outlet (and all others) and I won't know anything changed.

I ordered a 120vac "ice cube" relay along with a 120vac LED and a 12vdc LED and I'll start the learning process.

However, all of our outlets and appliances (outlets, TV, microwave, A/C, etc.) are live all the time because I wired them that way with the Mulitplus. So, plugging something into an outlet won't do anything for me because, if we lost 120vac to the rv, the batteries will take over and power that outlet (and all others) and I won't know anything changed.

I ordered a 120vac "ice cube" relay along with a 120vac LED and a 12vdc LED and I'll start the learning process.
You would plug it into the outlet outside of the RV, not on the inside. That way if you had power on the inside of the RV, there would be no alarm, but if it was lost on the input side, you would get the alarm.

Back