diy solar

diy solar

How to prevent pumps from coming on at night?

spendlove

I have a 5,000 gallon water tank that feeds into the water main going to 3 homes. With that much water it's not necessary that the pump kicks on at night to top off the tank. What is a good method to ensure the pump does not come on after the sun has gone down?

Thank you!

Water heater timers are used to prevent water heaters coming on during peak hours. I suspect you could use one to only have it power on during daylight hours or even peak solar hours (10am-2pm or so).

I have a 5,000 gallon water tank that feeds into the water main going to 3 homes. With that much water it's not necessary that the pump kicks on at night to top off the tank. What is a good method to ensure the pump does not come on after the sun has gone down?

Thank you!
Daylight detector...

Put a normally open relay in series with the pump or the pump control. Put up a small solar panel to be a daylight detector to close the relay.

Water heater timers are used to prevent water heaters coming on during peak hours. I suspect you could use one to only have it power on during daylight hours or even peak solar hours (10am-2pm or so).
Correct, I have one on my hot water heater that works very well. Manual trip switches that you can set the desired time to, go on an d off.

Does your charge controller have a relay that you can program to only come on when the pv voltage is a certain level?

Is this a separate system than the "pressure tank" you had problems with in past?
Is this a municipal type water service? Are you regulated by the country where you are located? Would there be a fire service problem if the pumps can't run during the night?

A simple electric eye for a farm yard light is configured to turn on after dark. Wired to a normally closed relay it would be activated by the electric eye to open the relay and your pump is off till daylight.

Suggest you buy one of those light sensing switches commonly used with security lighting.
Hours of daylight vary a lot between summer and winter, and even on really dark gloomy days you may not want that pump to start up.

I have a timer in series with the float switch on my water tank so the well will not run during certain hours. If you want the model I can look it up.

Back