diy solar

diy solar

Hqst 100amp battery

Is the hqst lithium 100 amp battery any good. The price and weight are both fantastic.
I’d be interested in hearing more from people that have purchased these too! (Trying to figure out an affordable ad safe option rather than attempting to build one myself!)

I’d be interested in hearing more from people that have purchased these too! (Trying to figure out an affordable ad safe option rather than attempting to build one myself!)
They are essentially the old renogy battery. No Bluetooth but do have low temp charging protection.

Reactions: Mia
I bought two in May for our camper and up until this week they have been doing well. We have been on a number of week-long trips without shore power and didn't have any issues. However, I installed a 500W inverter and Starlink last week and we went on a trip to test out Starlink this week. Starlink works great but it does consume between 40W to 80W when it's on, so it's not an insignificant drain. I have a Victron shunt to monitor power and it was reading about 60% capacity remaining shortly before the voltage crashed to below 9V, the lights flickered, and we lost all power. So, we were at about 1/2 capacity before it shut down.

When we returned, I recharged the batteries then tested each battery. With one its voltage under a 50W load was around 13V then shortly it would crash to less than 9V then recover to 13V. The other was a consistent 13V for a number of hours. For any battery-heads out there, I'm pretty sure that the first one is defective? I filled out the contact form on the HQST website requesting a replacement just today and haven't heard anything yet.

I bought two in May for our camper and up until this week they have been doing well. We have been on a number of week-long trips without shore power and didn't have any issues. However, I installed a 500W inverter and Starlink last week and we went on a trip to test out Starlink this week. Starlink works great but it does consume between 40W to 80W when it's on, so it's not an insignificant drain. I have a Victron shunt to monitor power and it was reading about 60% capacity remaining shortly before the voltage crashed to below 9V, the lights flickered, and we lost all power. So, we were at about 1/2 capacity before it shut down.

When we returned, I recharged the batteries then tested each battery. With one its voltage under a 50W load was around 13V then shortly it would crash to less than 9V then recover to 13V. The other was a consistent 13V for a number of hours. For any battery-heads out there, I'm pretty sure that the first one is defective? I filled out the contact form on the HQST website requesting a replacement just today and haven't heard anything yet.
Ty for the update… so another Starlink detail to be aware of when boondocking ;(

Well... if you like having your internet (and who doesn't?) and you like to boondock Starlink is pretty amazing. We looked at cell data boosters and they are a good option in many areas but we camp in areas without any cell signal fairly often. I suppose if we were made out of money then I'd get a cell booster and use Starlink as backup (especially if I wanted to work remotely frequently). In any case with Starlink running we will have to budget our watts. We have 350W of solar which should be enough under ideal conditions. I'm an anti-generator snob but that might be a last resort.

Well... if you like having your internet (and who doesn't?) and you like to boondock Starlink is pretty amazing. We looked at cell data boosters and they are a good option in many areas but we camp in areas without any cell signal fairly often. I suppose if we were made out of money then I'd get a cell booster and use Starlink as backup (especially if I wanted to work remotely frequently). In any case with Starlink running we will have to budget our watts. We have 350W of solar which should be enough under ideal conditions. I'm an anti-generator snob but that might be a last resort.
I just deal with being unplugged when I don’t have internet/data/cell signal… which isn’t always a bad thing! It can be refreshing plus I’m retired and not working remotely ;)

Yes, that's not a bad thing at all. We do find that even in unplugged mode it's nice to know what are the best hiking trails nearby or maybe find a watering hole.

It would sure be nice to see Will test them and tear one apart. I see they are $220 today for a batt that can do 48 volts.

Back