diy solar

diy solar

I am looking for the discount code for Overkill Solar?

Terrapin

I used it a few days ago and it went through on my checkout but that BMS order was canceled. Now I am ready to pull the trigger but can't figure out where I found that code.

If anyone knows it i would appreciate it.

Not sure about the code, but I think you get a discount when you purchase through Will's links:

Thanks for the link. I really didn't expect to need a programable unit. I just want to be able to monitor it as a good shunt unit would work, but by bluetooth to a cell phone. ....I am so far out of my paygrade.... The unit I had purchased, and canceled because of the listing confusion re: "3-20S' typography in the ad and invoice, was one that's been removed from Will's site's "blueprint links". So on total blind faith regarding the team effort here I pulled the trigger on this link you offered. It's a backorder item so I have time to sort it out. So if you or any one can assure me it will act as a good monitor like the original it would ease my mind greatly. that aspect is not mentioned in this VS the other. and it's all I really want out of it.

IIRC, I believe you purchased essentially the same BMS, or same line of BMS as the previous one you had ordered (JBD smart BMS). So long as you got a 4S version for your 12v battery you have nothing to worry about. Overkill Solar's website is much more straightforward, only 3 BMS options so its hard to mess up.

I think you will be happy with your choice, its a good blend between not too daunting but fairly feature rich. And OK has a reputation for good support and customer service, and put together a great manual.

IIRC, I believe you purchased essentially the same BMS, or same line of BMS as the previous one you had ordered (JBD smart BMS). So long as you got a 4S version for your 12v battery you have nothing to worry about. Overkill Solar's website is much more straightforward, only 3 BMS options so its hard to mess up.

I think you will be happy with your choice, its a good blend between not too daunting but fairly feature rich. And OK has a reputation for good support and customer service, and put together a great manual.
Thanks D. you've been helpful. This purchase was very little more and I am 100% fine with that knowing a portion will go to keeping this forum and Will's site going.

Reactions: Dzl
Thanks for the link. I really didn't expect to need a programable unit. I just want to be able to monitor it as a good shunt unit would work, but by bluetooth to a cell phone. ....I am so far out of my paygrade.... The unit I had purchased, and canceled because of the listing confusion re: "3-20S' typography in the ad and invoice, was one that's been removed from Will's site's "blueprint links". So on total blind faith regarding the team effort here I pulled the trigger on this link you offered. It's a backorder item so I have time to sort it out. So if you or any one can assure me it will act as a good monitor like the original it would ease my mind greatly. that aspect is not mentioned in this VS the other. and it's all I really want out of it.
I have a bluetooth shunt that you might be interested in. I can't give you my opinion on it yet because I'm still waiting on my batteries to come in. I can tell you that it appears to be well made and the feature list looks good. Has logging built into it as well.

I'm also leaning towards the OverKill BMSs for the connectivity and logging but I really wish they had an 8s version with more amperage.

Joe-

I have a bluetooth shunt that you might be interested in. I can't give you my opinion on it yet because I'm still waiting on my batteries to come in. I can tell you that it appears to be well made and the feature list looks good. Has logging built into it as well.

I'm also leaning towards the OverKill BMSs for the connectivity and logging but I really wish they had an 8s version with more amperage.

Joe-
Thanks for the offer but I think I am all set for this first build ...finally. I ended up with the overkill 120a and had them do 8gauge wires a bit longer for the case I have.

My attempt at this 280ah 4cell battery, even tuned to a very long life narrow bandwidth cycle, should be plenty for my weekending needs in the trailer for a starting point.

The Thornwave shunt looks like the Victron SmartShunt which has a fantastic monitoring and data logging app also.

See here:

Hate to derail this thread, but I was researching the Victron smart shunt and after reading some reviews... Come to find out that the Victron smart shunt doesn't have any logging on the device. It's all in the phone/tablet app and as soon as the app is closed or put in the background the data history is lost. Meaning the third party device has to stay on and connected with the app in the foreground in order to have any kind of history data.

If anyone in the forums could confirm or refute that I would like to hear it. Victron makes some great stuff, but if that's how their smart shunt is designed it sounds like an oversight for a lot of people's needs.

Joe-

I’m away from mine right now and it is connected to a CerboGX so maybe that is what I am remembering.

Hopefully someone can chime in with a definitive answer.

Battery Bvuilds must be skyrocketing...or Covid is devastating delivery lines. Overkill now only lists one 12v BMS the 120ah.

I just purchased, installed, and promptly returned my Victron Smart Shunt after finding it had a terrible Bluetooth range. With my battery compartment door open I could connect at up to about 6 feet, door closed, 3 feet. This is a common complaint on the Smart Shunt, but not on the BMV 712. I purchased the Thornwave Powermon and the 500A high accuracy shut and what a difference! I got like 200 foot line of sight Bluetooth connection with the compartment door open and can connect 50 feet away, inside my house with the RV out back! It also has true data logging on the module, that you can download and view on their phone app. Also had great tech support from Razvan, the owner and innovator. I would certainly recommend this product to anyone, and Raz tells me a new software for the Bluetooth connected monitoring is about to be released with even more features.

Although I am completely happy with my SmartShunt and have experienced very good BT range I think I will give the Thornwave a try next time I need a monitor.

I believe this is the unit:

and it has a very thorough 27 page manual online to check out.

Although I am completely happy with my SmartShunt and have experienced very good BT range I think I will give the Thornwave a try next time I need a monitor.

I believe this is the unit:

and it has a very thorough 27 page manual online to check out.
It's a great unit!, And great support!

The only thing I’m not fond of is maximum 6 AWG wire if you’re not using an external shunt.

For something that can measure 60 amps I would have liked to see 4 AWG.

Back