diy solar

diy solar

I Can't Afford So-Called "Tier 1" Equipment. What's Good at Tier 2?

I would consider the EG18kpv: if you can squeeze it into the budget (less battery maybe for now at least) otherwise I agree with @EastTexCowboy hard to beat the price and utility of a pair of 6548.
Single run high voltage for the PV = EG18kpv (up to 600v)
Expansion in future for more PV = EG18kpv (has three built in inputs)
all in one 120/240 = EG18kpv gives you both in one unit
more reliable equipment (due to the off grid no utility) = EG18kpv, but at considerable cost increase over the 6548's

7kW of PV x 5 hours sun = 35kWh/day likely (depends on location and time of year) check with your research. Do you see needing this much energy per day?

Thanks for the feedback. There's a ton to read and analyze in all these comments, so that will take me some time. Do we need 35kWh/day? That's a great question, and one I have not managed to nail down. First, I'm anticipating that we will only realize about 70% of that theoretical maximum after system losses, shade on the panels from our stovepipe chimney, clouds, inefficiencies, idle consumption, etc., so I think we'll probably only get about 25kWh/day. That'll be just enough to run some A/C during the hot months, but even then it would not cool the whole cabin (it's only 800 sq. ft. on the ground, but it has a 200 sq. ft. loft and 18-20 ft. vaulted ceilings, so lots of cubic ft. to cool). We'd also love to replace our propane fridge and water heater with electric options if possible. To do all that, we would actually need more than we can realistically expect to generate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. There's a ton to read and analyze in all these comments, so that will take me some time. Do we need 35kWh/day? That's a great question, and one I have not managed to nail down. First, I'm anticipating that we will only realize about 70% of that theoretical maximum after system losses, shade on the panels from our stovepipe chimney, clouds, inefficiencies, idle consumption, etc., so I think we'll probably only get about 25kWh/day. That'll be just enough to run some A/C during the hot months, but even then it would not cool the whole cabin (it's only 800 sq. ft. on the ground, but it has a 200 sq. ft. loft and 18-20 ft. vaulted ceilings, so lots of cubic ft. to cool). We'd also love to replace our propane fridge and water heater with electric options if possible. To do all that, we would actually need more than we can realistically expect to generate.
Any room for some ground mount down the road? I think you're definitely on the right track but it sounds like you could use some more production eventually.

Do we need 35kWh/day? That's a great question, and one I have not managed to nail down. First, I'm anticipating that we will only realize about 70% of that theoretical maximum after system losses, shade on the panels from our stovepipe chimney, clouds, inefficiencies, idle consumption, etc., so I think we'll probably only get about 25kWh/day.
You may be over estimating the loads, I have 9.6kW of PV and run my business (100%) and most of my home next door. Typically before the solar, the two properties combined would be 37kW per day (about), but we use A/C a lot less than those in the TX/AZ/LA/OK/CA/NM-belt. Your cooling load isn't really increased due to the high ceilings, the heat gain is mostly a function of wall areas and glass facing into the sun (overhangs are a good design option if you can). Even at the 49th parallel from end of January until the end of October we get enough solar, unless week long of straight rain every single day.
If the energy needed per day is less, you would need less PV, and spend less of your budget on the PV part. It sounds like you don't have a very clear picture of the actual energy use, since the cabin is off grid, so no utility bill to look at for guidance. On this forum is a great energy audit tool that Filter Guy created and posted, has a lot of good information built into the spreadsheet. I recommend if you haven't already, do a complete audit of the loads and see what it spits out, you may be surprised.
On a positive side, since this is a cabin, maybe the Off-Grid risk is less, as I suspect you have somewhere else to live when not at the cabin.(?)
I have a cabin retreat I go to once in awhile, but if there is a week of straight rain, I don't stay up there, I go home, maybe you will too, and the batteries don't need to be as big as we first thought. If your A/C is the biggest load, this tyically will be running while it is also sunny out, so again less need for big battery pack.
If it were me, I would carefully go over the actual loads, and if the numbers confirm it, go smaller on the PV at first and then run it and see. You can plan it out to be able to add more PV easy enough. Same with the batteries, get a few to start, and add if you see the need.

There's a ton to read and analyze in all these comments, so that will take me some time.
And just a 'heads up' on the sell subforum Grant is selling two NEW MPP 6548's with 28kWh batteries and some other handy parts and pieces for well below cost. He is in Alabama.

When I said we need a 7kW system, I meant PV input power to the charge controller, not output. There's room for 16 x 455W panels on the sun-facing side of my roof, so that's 7280W (theoretical max, obviously). That's all the room we have for now, so that's about the best we can do. I want an AIO with hefty VOC so the whole array will feed into a single MPP without a combiner box if possible, but I also want 2 x MPPs so I can add another array later (extend back porch, put panels on that roof). We currently use about 5kW/day, but we're wanting to build a system that would support more like 25kW/day. We get about 4.9-5.1 sun hours a day here, so if we figure about 30% overall system loss, that would net us the 25kW we need. We would only use that much in the height of summer. The rest of the year, we would get some autonomy.

There's no utility around these parts. We're off-grid, baby! That said, I can't figure out how to build a system with 2-3 days of autonomy within my budget, so I'm sure we'll still end up using the generator from time to time. We have 4 of them. Currently, we run the generator several hours per day on most days, so reducing it to once in a while would be awesome.

We have the budget for the project right now, but we have to clear a bunch of trees first, so we have some time. We have not calculated federal tax rebates into the equation.
I have similar goals and am currently researching to build a similar set up.
I go back and forth more than once a day on which route I’ll take, with most changes typically in regards to inverters. I feel pretty content with panel and battery choices.
If I had a money tree I would have already ordered stacked Midnite Rosie’s and 2 hawkes bay 120s (one Barcelona would probably do, but redundancy sounds nice)
Second would likely be a pair of schneider 6848s with their kit that includes the PDP and other boxes
Seemingly third, but I’m still trying to learn more about as it doesn’t seem as common in pure off grid, is a pair of Outback Radian 8048s

I think the main difference in our system plans are inverter capacity.
Low frequency is the only option for my system (mentally hahaha)

In the last few weeks I’ve really become keen on reading threads with hedges, Texas cowboy, zwy, 420ohms, offgridforgood, and of course TimsElectric participating in them. Such fun, friendly, and beneficial banter it seems on a regular basis.
And at least half of them seem to suffer analysis paralysis as significantly as I do ?

Anyways, 30k in cash up front is painful; so I’m trying to find alternatives (my initial cost projection pre tax credit)
I can’t quite get myself to depend on only one inverter, regardless of size (and the big ones are HF anyways) but I do think I would go with a single schneider before ANY HF option, including sol-ark (mostly their forum presence and business model)

This leads me to the plethora of 6048 variants. Whether it’s sungold, mpp, eg4, or other. Important to me is one of the refreshes that has a high VOC capacity. And I guess the LF growatt can’t be stacked either.

My plan is 10-14k PV with ~400w panels ground mount (40-50c/watt). 40kwh of eg4 battery (8 of them) and then figure out the inverter side of things

But for purely rough numbers for your system, 4k for panels, 1500 inverter, and 4 Lifepo4 batteries for 6k, and 2k for misc. would get you pretty close to your goal and in budget pre tax rebate. I’m sure other incidentals would be at play in the napkin math.
And would allow you to stack inverters and/or add PV later as well as increase battery

I have similar goals and am currently researching to build a similar set up.
I go back and forth more than once a day on which route I’ll take, with most changes typically in regards to inverters. I feel pretty content with panel and battery choices.
If I had a money tree I would have already ordered stacked Midnite Rosie’s and 2 hawkes bay 120s (one Barcelona would probably do, but redundancy sounds nice)
Second would likely be a pair of schneider 6848s with their kit that includes the PDP and other boxes
Seemingly third, but I’m still trying to learn more about as it doesn’t seem as common in pure off grid, is a pair of Outback Radian 8048s

I think the main difference in our system plans are inverter capacity.
Low frequency is the only option for my system (mentally hahaha)

In the last few weeks I’ve really become keen on reading threads with hedges, Texas cowboy, zwy, 420ohms, offgridforgood, and of course TimsElectric participating in them. Such fun, friendly, and beneficial banter it seems on a regular basis.
And at least half of them seem to suffer analysis paralysis as significantly as I do ?

Anyways, 30k in cash up front is painful; so I’m trying to find alternatives (my initial cost projection pre tax credit)
I can’t quite get myself to depend on only one inverter, regardless of size (and the big ones are HF anyways) but I do think I would go with a single schneider before ANY HF option, including sol-ark (mostly their forum presence and business model)

This leads me to the plethora of 6048 variants. Whether it’s sungold, mpp, eg4, or other. Important to me is one of the refreshes that has a high VOC capacity. And I guess the LF growatt can’t be stacked either.

My plan is 10-14k PV with ~400w panels ground mount (40-50c/watt). 40kwh of eg4 battery (8 of them) and then figure out the inverter side of things

But for purely rough numbers for your system, 4k for panels, 1500 inverter, and 4 Lifepo4 batteries for 6k, and 2k for misc. would get you pretty close to your goal and in budget pre tax rebate. I’m sure other incidentals would be at play in the napkin math.
And would allow you to stack inverters and/or add PV later as well as increase battery

I've looked at everything you mentioned and had them in my cart multiple times ?
Where I'm currently at...
The Rosie looks promising but I don't think it's been around enough and costs to much once you add all the other components.

The Schneider is tried and true on the hardware end, the software is holding me back a little, the big thing is the single mppt inputs for each controller and the costs.

I'm leaning heavily towards the LXP-LB-US 12k, have you looked at it yet?
The specs are solid and there are enough reviews and videos with hardly any complaints, which seem to be resolved quickly. I've been following the thread for it and the support provided by @Grace_Luxpower @Eddie_LuxPowerTek @GRV0423 (sorry to the others I'm missing) is impressive, I believe they truly care about there customers and product. It can also be stacked if I ever need that much capacity.

I'm still happy with my TP6048 but I want more power all around and the Lux is currently at the top of my list. It would be a great fit for the amount of panels you are planning and still allow room for expansion.

Have you considered building your own batteries? You can save a pile of money to put towards your AIO / inverter...
I'm currently trying to find a BMS (x4) that will communicate with the Lux, I'm not certain my current JBDs will and plan to replace them if I go with the Lux. Running off voltage would be fine but I'd rather have all my components be a system...

The more I read about batteries, the more I’d consider building my own. If I could come out with something like the 220ah or 304ah trophy batteries in a similar form factor, I could probably be convinced.

What prevents you from adding a second tp6048?
The lux unit looks very interesting, and Eddie seems to be very responsive. I’d lean that way if I was forced to buy a single AIO

In regards to the Rosie and cost. I agree it’s pricey. But not really different from Outback and schneider. And the guys that made the Rosie had a lot of influence in the schneider and Outback products.
They also have a local forum with solid support whereas like you mentioned, schneider scares the crap out of me in the software/support side
Like Tim says, the best support is support not needed. And it seems schneider CAN be that way. But can I be a competent enough pilot is the question

The more I read about batteries, the more I’d consider building my own. If I could come out with something like the 220ah or 304ah trophy batteries in a similar form factor, I could probably be convinced.

The lux unit looks very interesting, and Eddie seems to be very responsive. I’d lean that way if I was forced to buy a single AIO

In regards to the Rosie and cost. I agree it’s pricey. But not really different from Outback and schneider. And the guys that made the Rosie had a lot of influence in the schneider and Outback products.
They also have a local forum with solid support whereas like you mentioned, schneider scares the crap out of me in the software/support side
Like Tim says, the best support is support not needed. And it seems schneider CAN be that way. But can I be a competent enough pilot is the question
I like building my own batteries because I can use premium BMS units. It’s really impressive to turn on my REC setup and watch all of the sub BMS units start flashing in synch with the master unit than several seconds later all of those big azzed contactors all close almost at the same time. Pop pop pop.

Not that I’ll heed to turn it off all that often, but I am confident in the hardware.

The specs are solid and there are enough reviews and videos with hardly any complaints, which seem to be resolved quickly
As this is a Lux product, how similar it is to the EG18kpv (built by Lux i understand) - both units appear to be about the same price point, does the LXP check all the boxes like the EG?

It could easily be done. There are kits out there that let you stack the cells, I'd build my own and frame it with non pressure treated lumber... I currently have ~22kwh of lifepo4 diy cells for under $4500 all in...
The idle consumption... 2 would consume close to 6kw a day just being powered up.
??
Agreed. With the help of this community I think know we could figure out just about anything.

As this is a Lux product, how similar it is to the EG18kpv (built by Lux i understand) - both units appear to be about the same price point, does the LXP check all the boxes like the EG?
That is my understanding. It also seems to have better support based on what I see on here.
I don't have anything against eg I just like eliminating the middle man as much as I can, unless I decide to take out a line of credit and buy a container load to become the middle man; then it would be ok ?

Edit to say I'm sure the support for the eg will get much better as they master the product, just like I've seen it go for there other equipment.

Last edited:
Agreed. With the help of this community I think know we could figure out just about anything.
It's quite a brain trust Will has built here. When you consider the depth and breadth of expertise, all ages, so many varied backgrounds, I am 100% in agreement. I've spent time on a lot of forums over the years and this one is quite unique.

That is my understanding. It also seems to have better support based on what I see on here.
Thanks, I don't mean to knock SS either (I have one of their rack batteries, service was excellent), however there are venders in my area that carry the LUX LXP 12k and that would mean easier access, lower costs of shipping and no import/brokerage to deal with. Just another option. I am very happy with my solar set up, just always planning the next upgrade.

When I said we need a 7kW system, I meant PV input power to the charge controller, not output. There's room for 16 x 455W panels on the sun-facing side of my roof, so that's 7280W (theoretical max, obviously). That's all the room we have for now, so that's about the best we can do. I want an AIO with hefty VOC so the whole array will feed into a single MPP without a combiner box if possible, but I also want 2 x MPPs so I can add another array later (extend back porch, put panels on that roof). We currently use about 5kW/day, but we're wanting to build a system that would support more like 25kW/day. We get about 4.9-5.1 sun hours a day here, so if we figure about 30% overall system loss, that would net us the 25kW we need. We would only use that much in the height of summer. The rest of the year, we would get some autonomy.

There's no utility around these parts. We're off-grid, baby! That said, I can't figure out how to build a system with 2-3 days of autonomy within my budget, so I'm sure we'll still end up using the generator from time to time. We have 4 of them. Currently, we run the generator several hours per day on most days, so reducing it to once in a while would be awesome.

We have the budget for the project right now, but we have to clear a bunch of trees first, so we have some time. We have not calculated federal tax rebates into the equation.
Seriously, talk to Ian. That deal in this post you can scale up times 2. That's 13Kw of inverter power (and it will run the well pump) and 30Kwh of SOK battery. I'd have him knock the combiner boxes off and instead install 2 of these. https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-solar-charge-controller-mppt-500voc-100a-mppt100-48hv/

Hit him up for a deal on panels if you don't have any. He has pallets of them.

I've looked at everything you mentioned and had them in my cart multiple times ?
Where I'm currently at...
The Rosie looks promising but I don't think it's been around enough and costs to much once you add all the other components.

The Schneider is tried and true on the hardware end, the software is holding me back a little, the big thing is the single mppt inputs for each controller and the costs.

The specs are solid and there are enough reviews and videos with hardly any complaints, which seem to be resolved quickly. I've been following the thread for it and the support provided by @Grace_Luxpower @Eddie_LuxPowerTek @GRV0423 (sorry to the others I'm missing) is impressive, I believe they truly care about there customers and product. It can also be stacked if I ever need that much capacity.
What is the LXP-LB-US-12K going for?
I'm still happy with my TP6048 but I want more power all around and the Lux is currently at the top of my list. It would be a great fit for the amount of panels you are planning and still allow room for expansion.

Have you considered building your own batteries? You can save a pile of money to put towards your AIO / inverter...
I'm currently trying to find a BMS (x4) that will communicate with the Lux, I'm not certain my current JBDs will and plan to replace them if I go with the Lux. Running off voltage would be fine but I'd rather have all my components be a system...
12K is more than I need and even 10K (5+5K) is overkill, but for the $1700 Y&H is looking for this rebadged SRNE split-phase hybrid, I’m waiting for a few more positive member reviews before moving on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Spl...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I don’t know whether SRNE qualifies as ‘second-tier’ or not but this split-phase inverter has UL1741 certification: https://www.srnesolar.com/wp-conten...ase_solar-charger-inverter_usermanual_1.4.pdf

I don’t believe there is a better deal for a UL1741 split-phase offering at this power level in today’s market.

What is the LXP-LB-US-12K going for?
I'd use the form linked below or send @Eddie_LuxPowerTek a private message on here. https://luxpowertek.com/lxp-hybrid-12k I've looked at so many different inverters I don't remember the exact price and don't want to give bad info.

I looked at that one extensively and decided to stay away, for now, based on info I found here and limited info found elsewhere. Note you could save a decent chunk off the y&h price if you bought it through alibaba.

I'd go with 2 lv6548 or 2 EG4 3ks over that particular srne.

I'd rather have way to much power than not enough, who knows what great deals one may find on electric power tools, appliances, etc. I would have never bought a water distiller if I didn't have all this extra solar power in the summer months. ?

I'd use the form linked below or send @Eddie_LuxPowerTek a private message on here. https://luxpowertek.com/lxp-hybrid-12k I've looked at so many different inverters I don't remember the exact price and don't want to give bad info.

I looked at that one extensively and decided to stay away, for now, based on info I found here and limited info found elsewhere. Note you could save a decent chunk off the y&h price if you bought it through alibaba.

I'd go with 2 lv6548 or 2 EG4 3ks over that particular srne.

I'd rather have way to much power than not enough, who knows what great deals one may find on electric power tools, appliances, etc. I would have never bought a water distiller if I didn't have all this extra solar power in the summer months. ?
I concur. I would run, not walk, from that Y&H inverter. Unless reliability and support are of no importance. Cheap isn't often less expensive. The MPP and the EG4 units may not be Tier 1 hardware but they're somewhere in the middle of the pack, have a decent track record, and you can get support.

Back