diy solar

diy solar

I could use some help setting Deligreene BMS parameters.

First of all what are these bms parameters set to?
Second what are the details of your charge profile?
Hint, the charge profile is defined on your charge source.
Different chargers use slightly different names.
The idea is to have your charge profile not bump into the bms limits.
Its not necessary and actually counter productive.

Also what is the cell delta when the bms tripped?
The BMS sum hvd is 28.8 and the Cc is hvd of 28.9. From what you are saying this looks my problem. Would you say backing off the Cc a decimal point would be sufficient?

The BMS sum hvd is 28.8 and the Cc is hvd of 28.9. From what you are saying this looks my problem. Would you say backing off the Cc a decimal point would be sufficient?
Please see my multiple posts above where I stressed that the bms is the "reserve parachute"

Once more, the charge controller parameters should be safely inside the bms parameters.
Set the bms hvd to 29.2(3.65 per cell) and the bms high cell disconnect to 3.65.
Then set the charge controller to terminate the charge at 28.8.
If you then get a high cell disconnect adjust the charge controller down until you quit hitting the limit.
Also you want to be balancing only during charge and only above float voltage.

You did a proper top balance, right?

Last edited:
Please see my multiple posts above where I stressed that the bms is the "reserve parachute"

Once more, the charge controller parameters should be safely inside the bms parameters.
Set the bms hvd to 29.2(3.65 per cell) and the bms high cell disconnect to 3.65.
Then set the charge controller to terminate the charge is 28.8.
If you then get a high cell disconnect adjust the charge controller down until you quit hitting the limit.
Also you want to be balancing only during charge and only above float voltage.

You did a proper top balance, right?
Yes, I understand the “reserve parachute “ and I think I’m getting the jest of it all.
Working on adjusting these now.
And yes I did do a proper top balance. Thanks for your time and patience, it’s much appreciated. I’ll keep you posted.

Yes, I understand the “reserve parachute “ and I think I’m getting the jest of it all.

If you understood the "reserve parachute" concept why did you set the charge voltage higher than the bms cutoff value?

Working on adjusting these now.
And yes I did do a proper top balance. Thanks for your time and patience, it’s much appreciated. I’ll keep you posted.

Do you have a low voltage disconnect strategy?

If you understood the "reserve parachute" concept why did you set the charge voltage higher than the bms cutoff value?

Do you have a low voltage disconnect strategy?
Honest mistake really. I didn’t quite get the not “bumping” values.
The BMS LVD is 20 and the CC value is 22. Is that what you mean?

Honest mistake really. I didn’t quite get the not “bumping” values.
The BMS LVD is 20 and the CC value is 22. Is that what you mean?

The charge controller should not be in the load path.
Please don't do that, even if you have fire a extinguisher under your pillow.
You should have a low voltage disconnect for your inverter to protect the bms from the brutal assault of disconnecting a load at significant amperage.
As I've said quite often, The bms is a "reserve parachute".
See my previous post where I recommended a solution.

The charge controller should not be in the load path.
Please don't do that, even if you have fire a extinguisher under your pillow.
You should have a low voltage disconnect for your inverter to protect the bms from the brutal assault of disconnecting a load at significant amperage.
As I've said quite often, The bms is a "reserve parachute".
See my previous post where I recommended a solution.
So, the CC LVD should be lower than the BMS setting, correct?
And I need to add a LVD (like the one you mentioned above) between the positive buss bar and the inverter, correct?
And I would want to set that at a higher voltage than the BMS LVD values, correct?
To make sure I understand, I want the loads to disconnect before the BMS or CC disconnects thereby preventing the CC from ever carrying the load, or tripping the BMS? Jeez, I hope I’m getting this right.

The charge controller lvd should be irrelevant to the discussion.
Pretty sure I've said this before.

And I need to add a LVD (like the one you mentioned above) between the positive buss bar and the inverter, correct?
Actually between the battery and all the loads.
The only thing that should bypass it are your charge sources.

And I would want to set that at a higher voltage than the BMS LVD values, correct?
Yes you want to set it high enough so that your weakest cell doesn't nose dive into the low knee.
To make sure I understand, I want the loads to disconnect before the BMS or CC disconnects thereby preventing the CC from ever carrying the load, or tripping the BMS? Jeez, I hope I’m getting this right.
The charge controller is a charge source not a load.
Said this many times.
Are you using the load ports on your charge controller?

When I choose the LVD for the inverter is it safe to say “worst case scenario” would be pulling 4000 watts of load divided by 24v would be 166 amps. I don’t see ever being near that load range so I feel like a LVD like the Pro Latch rated for 160 amps would be sufficient , yes?

The charge controller lvd should be irrelevant to the discussion.
Pretty sure I've said this before.

Actually between the battery and all the loads.
The only thing that should bypass it are your charge sources.

Yes you want to set it high enough so that your weakest cell doesn't nose dive into the low knee.

The charge controller is a charge source not a load.
Said this many times.
Are you using the load ports on your charge controller?
I am not using the load ports.
From positive buss bar to Pro Latch to inverter and 24v converter? Those are my only loads.

When I choose the LVD for the inverter is it safe to say “worst case scenario” would be pulling 4000 watts of load divided by 24v would be 166 amps. I don’t see ever being near that load range so I feel like a LVD like the Pro Latch rated for 160 amps would be sufficient , yes?
The formula is...
inverter continuous rating in watts / .85 conversion factor / low voltage disconnect.

So assuming a 2000 watt inverter and a 24 volt system.

2000 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 24 volts low cutoff = 98.039215686 dc amps

That is out of spec high for the least expensive relay and well within spec for the one I specified.

I am not using the load ports.
Good, then the charge controller is not relevant to the low voltage disconnect strategy.
From positive buss bar to Pro Latch to inverter and 24v converter? Those are my only loads.
The only thing(s) that should bypass the Pro Latch are your charge source(s).

@Jwtravel I think I have a cheaper, easier solution.
Are you hardwiring the ac side of your inverter to a distribution panel?
If not I can show you how to make something kinda neat.

@Jwtravel I think I have a cheaper, easier solution.
Are you hardwiring the ac side of your inverter to a distribution panel?
If not I can show you how to make something kinda neat.
I need to. I was gonna get by for now but bring it smoothjoey! Whatcha got?

I need to. I was gonna get by for now but bring it smoothjoey! Whatcha got?
Sorry my solution I was going to propose is not compatible with hardwire.

But with a bit more jiggery pokery it can still work.

1. get the 65 amp victron smart battery protect.
insert it between the positive busbar and your 24->12 converter.
This provides low voltage disconnect for your pure dc loads.

2. get a 40ish amp ac rated solid state relay and a 20 amp ac breaker.
The breaker goes on the ac side of the inverter on the live wire
after the breaker goes the ac side of the relay.

3. the control side of the relay is connected to the downstream side of the victron smart battery protect.

I'm sure this is all Greek to you but it should work fine.
It needs to be done properly and safely though.

Then the only load that the bms has to disconnect is the inverter idle draw.

The summary is that the pure dc loads are disconnected directly via the victron smart battery protect.
The inverter ac side is isolated via an ac relay which is controlled by the victron smart battery protect.

Could use some help with my daly 16s bms settings. When it cuts charging im getting "cell volt high level 2".
But the pack voltage and no cell are near their set parameters. The eco worthy hybrid inverter says it only charges a 48v pack at 56.8v. But the pack doesn't get quite there. I've seen it get it to 55.4/5 but that's it. If anyone has any advice or a list of what the daly error codes mean I'd appreciate it.

Could use some help with my daly 16s bms settings. When it cuts charging im getting "cell volt high level 2".
But the pack voltage and no cell are near their set parameters. The eco worthy hybrid inverter says it only charges a 48v pack at 56.8v. But the pack doesn't get quite there. I've seen it get it to 55.4/5 but that's it. If anyone has any advice or a list of what the daly error codes mean I'd appreciate it.
@Jimmynik1 what are the cell voltages and pack voltage when the error occurs?
Does the bms open the charge fets?

Cell 8 is my highest and is right around 3.60 when it cuts and the pack is 55.4 ish.
Did you fiddle with the bms configuration?

I don't understand the second part.
The bms is physically common port but internally there is one set of field effect transistors(fets) for charge currrent and another set of fets for discharge current.
I'm trying to determine if the charge path is open or closed?
If its open, I would like to know what parameter was exceeded causing the trip.

Did you fiddle with the bms configuration?

The bms is physically common port but internally there is one set of field effect transistors(fets) for charge currrent and another set of fets for discharge current.
I'm trying to determine if the charge path is open or closed?
If its open, I would like to know what parameter was exceeded causing the trip.
Yes I made the cell cutoff voltage 3.65

Its a common port as far as I know. Daly 16s 100a with BT.
I found the little toggle that lets me turn off and on charge and discharge and they are both on. So charge path is open until that "cell high voltage level 2" comes on the the charge path turns off then comes back on a little while later.

Back