diy solar

diy solar

I don't like the color of Windynation's copper

hwy17

Anti-Solar Enthusiast
I'm not happy to arrive at this conclusion, especially after building almost my entire system out of their wire. But I've cut into an reterminated two different wires of theirs recently and unfortunately both times I don't like the color. I don't like it enough that I will gradually be replacing it all.

These photos are of Signature Solar's wire on the left compared to Windynation on the right. The wire from Signature is 2 awg and the Windynation is 4 awg, so this is not a wire size comparison or complaint. Just the color. The Windynation was stripped about 4 weeks ago and has been in a compression terminal, but I assure you this is the same color I saw when it was freshly stripped.

I have no impression otherwise that the wire is inadequate or substandard, I have never had a functional or performance problem with it. Maybe there's a fine explanation for why wire would be that color, but even if there is I still don't like it I want the bright stuff.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 03.13.10.png
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 03.13.25.png

That is probably because of the ‘rubber-like’ sheathing of the windyNation welding wire versus the pvc of the other. Maybe.

I’d say it’s the result of it being a bulk of fine strands (more flexible) and it was annealed to eliminate work hardening during manufacture.

To me it’s indicative that some people like candy apple red corvettes, while others want a blue corvette. But since nobody can see the wires under the sheathing it doesn’t matter.

It looks perfectly fine, I wouldn't change anything based on those "color differences" As stated above...Is a red Corvette or a blue Corvette better....the answer is yes :)

Yeah I'm fine with accepting the conclusion that red copper is not itself a red flag and I am limiting my complaint here to simply just my personal preference.

But I would still add that you would not ever find that color in a Southwire or Cerrowire product. At least not in the THHN. I've tried to get my hands on Southwire Royal Excelene Welding cable but it's elusive stuff.

I'm gonna use my @timselectric bat signal that I try to use sparingly. Technicals aside, do you recoil like I do when it's not light and bright?

Last edited:
That is probably because of the ‘rubber-like’ sheathing of the windyNation welding wire versus the pvc of the other. Maybe.

I’d say it’s the result of it being a bulk of fine strands (more flexible) and it was annealed to eliminate work hardening during manufacture.

To me it’s indicative that some people like candy apple red corvettes, while others want a blue corvette. But since nobody can see the wires under the sheathing it doesn’t matter.
They run a Kraft paper in between the rubber and conductor.

Either way I have 4 awg and 2/0 from windy nation, I’ll continue using it. But everyone has their preferences and standards.

I was expecting green death or something horrific.

The darker wire appears to be slightly more oxidized. If you wire brush the copper, does it brighten? Anytime you are using copper that has any oxidization on it, it is best to wire brush it to remove oxidation before making a connection.

The darker wire appears to be slightly more oxidized. If you wire brush the copper, does it brighten? Anytime you are using copper that has any oxidization on it, it is best to wire brush it to remove oxidation before making a connection.
I agree that's what I think of when I see darker copper. @12VoltInstalls may be right that it's the rubber jacket of the windynation wire that is breathable and allowing the oxidation.

I'm not gonna be using these wires anymore so I won't bother wire brushing them and making a mess of copper dust.

Back