diy solar

diy solar

I have a gutter below 3 inverters, how do I juggle 6 EMT conduits into place.

Maitake

Solar Enthusiast
Like the title says.
The gutter will be about 12-16" below the inverters. 3 inverters, 2x 3/4" EMT going from each inverter to the gutter.
I'm thinking of leaving the mounts for the gutter a little loose, but not sure how it will go. Inverters are already mounted. I'm using the box adapters with a set screw for the conduit. Appreciate any tips.

Thx

if the gutters are not mounted yet, then pre cut all your emt and mount it to the inteverters. Make a mark on the wall where your gutter will start ( on the end closest to the inverters). Next use a piece of cardboard tp make a template of the conduit, starting at the mark on the wall. Now you can take the template to the gutter and mark all your hole locations.

I clamped the gutter to the bottom of the inverters and transferred the hole marks that way.
So I should pre-cut the EMT, mount them to the inverters, and start from one end and hang the gutter on the EMT, then mount the gutter to the wall?

Yes, its much easier to drill out the gutters before they are mounted. Depend on how long it is you may need a hand hanging it

Get two friends to help.
Or, if you are like me. A floor jack and a board cut to the right length.

EMT will fit through the appropriate size fitting hole. I would go ahead and temporarily mount the gutter. Make all necessary ko holes. Measure, bend and fit the conduit to the inverters with fittings by dropping it into the hole on the gutter then pulling it up into the fittings at the top and hover over the bottom hole. At the end remove gutter install lower fittings and install gutter.

Like the title says.
The gutter will be about 12-16" below the inverters. 3 inverters, 2x 3/4" EMT going from each inverter to the gutter.
I'm thinking of leaving the mounts for the gutter a little loose, but not sure how it will go. Inverters are already mounted. I'm using the box adapters with a set screw for the conduit. Appreciate any tips.

Thx
Given 12 - 16" of room, this is what I see lot for similar situations..
1) Secure the gutter
2) Use a laser or short piece of emt to line up the inverter holes to where the gutter needs to be drilled
3) Drill out gutter
4) Cut emt ~3/4" short, put the connectors on each end of the emt loosely with no lock nuts, fit in place.
5) Cheat the connectors down and up (center the emt between them) and secure everything

I prefer connectors with insulated throats, plastic bushings are ok.

Anyway for this job I already have the EMT and fittings.
My gutter was six feet and it was easier to mount it before attaching EMT. I found the EMT only had to be about 5/8 inch short to allow one set of threads to clear the hole and even with the compression connectors there was plenty of EMT to grip the EMT once the fittings were tightened to the gutter and inverter and sub panels. The last two posts also explained this in more detail.

Back