diy solar

diy solar

I have fried 2 charge controllers! Please help!!

You can always go over the max current. Just think of it this way: Your house AC outlet can provide 120V at 15Amps. If you plug in a small night light that takes 3 watts, it's not going to blow up with 1800 watts being pushed into it. The night light will just use what it needs. 3 watts.

Similarly, even if you have 50 panels that could provide 250A, and you connect it to your charge controller that has a 60A rating, it just means that the maximum current it will charge your battery is 60A. The 60A rating is output, not input. The charge controller will just use what it needs to charge your battery, up to 60A. Anything above that is just not used.

The max voltage rating, on the other hand, is for input. If the max voltage is 150V, you will blow it up if you connect something more than 150V to it. You should usually stay at least 10-20% below the max voltage rating due to variations in specs/testing methods and weather temperature.

Last edited:
The charge controller has two parameters dealing with current. There is input current (from the panels) and output current (to the batteries). Under full sun (angled at the sun), the 10 panels in parallel (yours are in series right now) will produce around 50A. That is the input current to the charge controller. The input voltage to the charge controller in 10p configuration is about 40V. That means there is about 2000W (50A x 40V = 2kW) trying to get to the charge controller. However, the CC may not be capable of taking the 2kW and transfer all of it to the battery bank. The output voltage of the CC is determined by the voltage of the battery it is trying to charge. If you have a 24V nominal battery, the CC may only be able to deliver around 1500W. That is because the output current is maxed out at 60A (~24V x 60A = ~1.5kW).

The beauty of an MPPT charge controller is that even though your panels are not producing 60A, the CC can take the excess voltage of your panels and convert it to current. Unfortunately, it does have a limit. The CC you referenced earlier has that limit defined to be 60A at 24V (as was the example I just laid out).
Thank you!
The charge controller has two parameters dealing with current. There is input current (from the panels) and output current (to the batteries). Under full sun (angled at the sun), the 10 panels in parallel (yours are in series right now) will produce around 50A. That is the input current to the charge controller. The input voltage to the charge controller in 10p configuration is about 40V. That means there is about 2000W (50A x 40V = 2kW) trying to get to the charge controller. However, the CC may not be capable of taking the 2kW and transfer all of it to the battery bank. The output voltage of the CC is determined by the voltage of the battery it is trying to charge. If you have a 24V nominal battery, the CC may only be able to deliver around 1500W. That is because the output current is maxed out at 60A (~24V x 60A = ~1.5kW).

The beauty of an MPPT charge controller is that even though your panels are not producing 60A, the CC can take the excess voltage of your panels and convert it to current. Unfortunately, it does have a limit. The CC you referenced earlier has that limit defined to be 60A at 24V (as was the example I just laid out).
I’m going to take this information and do my research. It looks like I will be leaning towards 2 mL. Connecting five panels to each. I’ll let you guys know!

Thank you!

I’m going to take this information and do my research. It looks like I will be leaning towards 2 mL. Connecting five panels to each. I’ll let you guys know!
During your research make sure you use the correct numbers. Also garner some basic understanding of loads, storage, and supply.
Loads drive your supply needs.
Storage (batteries) is a method to save up some of your supply to use later.
Supply is where the current to feed loads comes from. Utility, gas generator or solar.

Batteries are a load when they are not fully charged and in the case of lead acid are still a small load since they self discharge continuously.

I am sorry that I provided bad information on connecting your solar panels. I should have caught that your voltage mentioned was not the panels voltage but instead your intended battery voltage. In my reply I did state Voc as my method to determining SCC voltage limits but using 24v was a huge error.

One option to use excessive panels would be to point some of them to evening sun. This would spread out the power generation to longer time span and to those late afternoon/evening hours when you have actual power demand.

Split up the panels and use two charge controllers. That way when you toast the next one, you will still be able to have some charge going to your batteries. Actually, you’ll probably have more than enough with half those panels considering your battery capacity.

Ooycyoo sounds more like something my doctor would give me a prescription for. Where do they come up with these names?
I'm pretty sure most of them are phonetic spellings of Chinese words, but between the translation, and spelling, they end up being a meaningless garble of letters.

I think I'm there everyone!
Here is the solar wire configuration and the Control Charger that is currently on it's way!

Honestly I have to research on exactly how this is wired. Until then I can connect 5 in parallel and get 53 Amp / 53V (1000 W max) to safely run my system.

Let me know that all is good please.

Attachments

• Solar Panel Diagram.jpg
    Solar Panel Diagram.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 60 mppt.jpg
    60 mppt.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 17
Split up the panels and use two charge controllers. That way when you toast the next one, you will still be able to have some charge going to your batteries. Actually, you’ll probably have more than enough with half those panels considering your battery capacity.
Check out my configuration RVLiFe. I just posted it to the thread. I think I can connect all 10 to one CC. What do you think?

Check out my configuration RVLiFe. I just posted it to the thread. I think I can connect all 10 to one CC. What do you think?
My post was actually meant to be funny in regards to you burning up a third controller but I support you connecting all 10 of them in the configuration you provided. However, I don’t see where you added fuses to your diagram or if you are going to use a bus bar or simply a Y connector. Fuse those panels!
***I also think you should get a CC closer to 75Amp output or maybe even 100Amp instead of 60. The MPPT will be efficient and will be able to put out a lot more than 60Amps. Why limit yourself to just 60Amps? The controller will lower the voltage to that of your battery and increase the Amp output. That’s what makes a MPPT work the way it does. You will probably get Closer to 80 Amp output with 10 panels but the CC you selected will only output a max of 60. Sounds like you are setting yourself up for more failure to me.

Last edited:
My post was actually meant to be funny in regards to you burning up a third controller but I support you connecting all 10 of them in the configuration you provided. However, I don’t see where you added fuses to your diagram or if you are going to use a bus bar or simply a Y connector. Fuse those panels!
***I also think you should get a CC closer to 75Amp output or maybe even 100Amp instead of 60. The MPPT will be efficient and will be able to put out a lot more than 60Amps. Why limit yourself to just 60Amps? The controller will lower the voltage to that of your battery and increase the Amp output. That’s what makes a MPPT work the way it does. You will probably get Closer to 80 Amp output with 10 panels but the CC you selected will only output a max of 60. Sounds like you are setting yourself up for more failure to me.
I caught it just in time! I’m going to update to 80 amp charge controller and get back with you. Thank you!

I think I'm there everyone!
Here is the solar wire configuration and the Control Charger that is currently on it's way!

Honestly I have to research on exactly how this is wired. Until then I can connect 5 in parallel and get 53 Amp / 53V (1000 W max) to safely run my system.

Let me know that all is good please.

Beware... I have that exact charge controller. Mine is only a 2 stage. Have you confirmed it is a 3 stage?

I caught it just in time! I’m going to update to 80 amp charge controller and get back with you. Thank you!
To be honest, with 3-200 watt panels I exceed 30 Amps quite often. I have a feeling you would benefit with a 100Amp CC but if it’s a matter of money, 80 will get you there as well. But 60 amps is just way too small. Then again, I have no idea where you live so if it’s the Antarctic…?

To be honest, with 3-200 watt panels I exceed 30 Amps quite often. I have a feeling you would benefit with a 100Amp CC but if it’s a matter of money, 80 will get you there as well. But 60 amps is just way too small. Then again, I have no idea where you live so if it’s the Antarctic…?
just cancelled and am purchasing an 80 amp.

Back