diy solar

diy solar

I just don’t have the skillset…. So, how “easy” are solar generator systems??

Mort

I am standing before you to admit that I do not have the skill set to do electric/solar work/DIY.

In a conversation, I can say the words related to solar/electric, but I do not comprehend it at all, no matter how much I try. I bought Will’s book (excellent), read a number of articles, and watched a bazillion YouTube videos. As much as I WANT to understand, I do not, and I am ok with it, mostly. Everyone has different skills and abilities and I have come to the conclusion that my abilities are in other areas.

Having said that, I still have a desire to have some kind of solar generating and storage system. When I first joined, the few generator/battery systems that were available were new and there was limited experience with them. Now there are larger systems from several companies such as Jackery, PointZero, EcoFlow, Bluetti, and Generak, and probably others.

My question is: How “plug and play” are these newer systems? Can I literally unbox them, connect every up and plug in a TV or phone? Can I easily just plug in a second battery pack and then plug in a refrigerator? Do they require knowledge similar to assembling a DIY system and, importantly troubleshooting problems that may arise?

I know I will be paying more for the convenience, but for someone like me who is willing to admit he doesn’t have the skills/comprehension to DIY build a similar system, are these systems really that user friendly? I was going to also ask which system is better, but I think that is the classic Ford vs Chevy debate...

Thanks. Do I get points for knowing my limitations? :cool:

Thx Bobert.

I live in Southern Calif in a high fire zone and getting repeated notices about upcoming power shut offs. In the time I have lived here, 20 + years, there has never been an outage longer than 6 hours so power has been very reliable to date. But times they are a changing and I want to be prepared and have some renewable power to keep lights on, run some fans, occasionally run the fridge/freezer for short durations to keep things cold, and recharge devices (phones, tablets). Obviously, not all would be in use at the same time. But enough to keep things going. There is great sun in yard.

Does this help??

want to be prepared and have some renewable power to keep lights on, run some fans, occasionally run the fridge/freezer for short durations to keep things cold, and recharge devices (phones, tablets).
These devices are an expensive way to get- at most- 150Ah in a suitcase. But ya, you just charge them, and plug stuff in.

For the same dollar you could have twice the availability of power and solar panels to extend the battery availability either for a time- or indefinitely.

The portable suitcases, however, require no code approval, are easily transported, and don’t have much complications other than plugging in solar panels. Not what I would choose but that’s up to you.

You pay more for what you get but the portability is often worth it. It’s not unusual for frequent campers to have one in addition to a $10,000 or greater rv solar system. It really depends on your needs and skill set.

Thank you both for your help. I just would not feel safe ordering the correct parts and making the connections. When dealing with wire gauges, connecting things in the correct order, amps and volts in amounts that could destroy the equipment or cause injury, I know assembling a DIY is beyond my capabilities. I applaud those for which this comes easy!!

If your looking for both reliability and ease but not often needed, you'd be much better served with a generator. CHEAPER, SIMPLER, only downfall is being there to start and connect it. Unless you get an automatic unit but that's more $$ but not anyplace close to the $$$$$ of solar and batteries. Plus 3 days of hazy skies from the smoke and the batteries are now paperweights. Just my 2 cents.

This is very beginner friendly :

I plan to do this setup now too, although I say the original thread poster would probably be better off using PIP 2724LV-MR inverter/generator instead because it has pre-installed outlets and has pre-made battery wire. And I just wished that battery bank would be shipped out earlier because I feel SHTF is coming soon, but I can wait until end of June.

Thank You all very much and I appreciate the confidence you have in me!!! I gotta tell ya that my skill set in this area is such that I have never even jump started a car because I do not know which connections to make in the right order!!!

But assuming that, with all your help I try, where do you all order or buy the parts for these? I know if I were building a PC (and I have), places like NewEgg and MicroCenter have all the PC components. What are some good/reputable places/websites to buy the various parts (battery, inverter etc)?

Thanks!!!

I buy vetted brands on the cheap end from Amazone and have bought from US MPPSolar as well.

Thank You all very much and I appreciate the confidence you have in me!!! I gotta tell ya that my skill set in this area is such that I have never even jump started a car because I do not know which connections to make in the right order!!!

But assuming that, with all your help I try, where do you all order or buy the parts for these? I know if I were building a PC (and I have), places like NewEgg and MicroCenter have all the PC components. What are some good/reputable places/websites to buy the various parts (battery, inverter etc)?

Thanks!!!
Reality is some people just need for fix problems with a check, my brother is that way, brilliant at his job, plenty people are. Some have interesting life experiences by not admitting it upfront. Power stations like the Delta Pro and others with LifePro4 batteries were built for you. Press enter on your keyboard, UPS knocks on your door. Beauty of the system is it's expandable as your knowledge and comfort zone increases. Yes it costs more, but it's plug and play, if you can deal with extension cords. Again a check to an electrician solves that problem. Don't be pressured into electrical work if you really aren't comfortable, The emergency room bill or home damage would quickly erase any money saved by not buying plug and play.

Thanks Rustic! I keep looking at both Power Stations and the individual parts. I know most folks on here could build a much nicer system for the cost of a power station, but I just don't think it would go well for me. Costco even has a two pack of Lion Energy 12 V 105AH 3500 cycle batteries that would be nice. But I know my limits.

Still researching the power stations. I like the Bluetti units but the quality control does not seem to be there yet. I think EcoFlow Delta is nice but a bit pricey, and no warranty if you do hook up 3rd party panels. I like the simplicity of Jackery but they are not expandable. I am think I am in that "analysis paralysis" zone at the moment, or I need to go buy a lottery ticket......

Thanks Rustic! I keep looking at both Power Stations and the individual parts. I know most folks on here could build a much nicer system for the cost of a power station, but I just don't think it would go well for me. Costco even has a two pack of Lion Energy 12 V 105AH 3500 cycle batteries that would be nice. But I know my limits.

Still researching the power stations. I like the Bluetti units but the quality control does not seem to be there yet. I think EcoFlow Delta is nice but a bit pricey, and no warranty if you do hook up 3rd party panels. I like the simplicity of Jackery but they are not expandable. I am think I am in that "analysis paralysis" zone at the moment, or I need to go buy a lottery ticket......
If you do EBay Ecoflow and EBay are selling refurbished Delta Pros and other equipment with full warranties at good prices. I bought several items and they are perfect condition. No company will I know will warranty customer errors that blows up their product, if you exceed specs, even with their panels.
Without experience it’s hard to filter what one reads about particular perceived shortcomings of tech products. Customer service kinda sucks across the board in today’s crazy world.
12 volt batteries are a terrible way to go for home backup for several reasons these days.

researching the power stations. I like the Bluetti units but the quality control does not seem to be there yet. I think EcoFlow Delta is nice but a bit pricey, and no warranty if you do hook up 3rd party panels. I like the simplicity of Jackery but they are not expandable. I am think I am in that "analysis
That is a good summary of why I’m opposed to these units. Half their price is the suitcase. Basic hookup of commodity batteries, charge controller, inverter can be guided right on this site. Spend the same money, get twice the power.
12 volt batteries are a terrible way to go for home backup for several reasons these days.
For a smaller system with demands afforded by the toaster/suitcase products 12VDC is quite suitable. These days or yester’s days. The suitcases aren’t scalable but components are.

That is a good summary of why I’m opposed to these units. Half their price is the suitcase. Basic hookup of commodity batteries, charge controller, inverter can be guided right on this site. Spend the same money, get twice the power.

For a smaller system with demands afforded by the toaster/suitcase products 12VDC is quite suitable. These days or yester’s days. The suitcases aren’t scalable but components are.
Sure why not have 4 12 volt batteries when one can have one 48 volt battery, as an example. YouTube videos showing builds on hand trucks with one 48 volt battery, all in one inverter and electrical connections are nice. They are easily scalable by connecting additional batteries in a stationary place using Anderson connectors. Under $2,000 you can get a good 48v LifePro4 battery and 48 volt 3000 watt inverter only. For a little more you can add solar or use an all in one. For smaller systems a Delta or Delta Max, Bluetti 200, Goal Zero are examples, all portable, scalable, and with care on charging the Deltas and GZ will last for years, All under 2k and plug and play.

Last edited:
smaller systems a Delta or Delta Max, Bluetti 200, Goal Zero are examples, all portable, scalable,
How are they scalable? They sometimes plug into other overpriced toaster suitcase battery banks or whatever but you can’t reconfigure as needs change- just buy another high cost device.

Back