diy solar

diy solar

I miss these panels.

Sipma02

I loved these 160 watt panels! https://www.newpowa.com/products/newpowa-160w-12v-polycrystalline-solar-panel

They no longer seem to be available anywhere! I just ordered some a few weeks ago. I specifically liked how they are (were?!) ~48 inches wide. They fit on the top of our van very well :(

Does anyone know of a similar panel? ~150 +/- wattage, ~48 inches wide. Most of the other panels are 58" which is too wide for the top of a van. Oh well.

I like them as a typical E350/450 based Class C is 100 inches wide. You can fit two of these end to end across; where bigger panels you are limited side by side and typically end up with more "dead" space.

I'm working on a class C project right now where we will fit 10 of these on; where going with larger panels would have gotten less overall watts.

what kind of "van" doesn't have a roof width of greater than 58".

Sprinter does. E150 does.

That's true. But they overhang in a way that I don't prefer. Personal preference, but fair point!

The Newpowa 120w 24v are about 26 x 40 inches and most MPPT can handle that voltage fine.

I own 20 12 year old - Sharp 167w panel and each one are 39.1 wide, seep pic, you can find on FB Marketplace or Craigslist, Joe.
1621885695910.png

I loved these 160 watt panels! https://www.newpowa.com/products/newpowa-160w-12v-polycrystalline-solar-panel

They no longer seem to be available anywhere! I just ordered some a few weeks ago. I specifically liked how they are (were?!) ~48 inches wide. They fit on the top of our van very well :(

Does anyone know of a similar panel? ~150 +/- wattage, ~48 inches wide. Most of the other panels are 58" which is too wide for the top of a van. Oh well.

You mean 48 inches long. I have the same panels and I did a doubletake there.

You mean 48 inches long. I have the same panels and I did a doubletake there.

Ha! Yep, I should have said long.

I can find plenty of 40" panels—I just really liked the space usage of the 160w. The 250 linked above look really cool! But a van roof would max out at 500 watts (with fan/AC or whatever)—with the 160w in less space, you could fit almost 650w!

Last edited:
Back