diy solar

diy solar

I want to lay down CALB cells

Usangira

I have bought Prismatic cells 16 of them.
Because of space issues...I am thinking to lay down the prismatic cells instead of standing them up as most of pictures show.

Is there any harm ?

Thanks, Innocent

Attachments

• IMG_20210819_175132_815.jpg
    IMG_20210819_175132_815.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 12
also, compressiin will be a bit challenging if you lay them down
heard all sort of compress and dont compress about these calb cells, so i descided to just compress them ...

Because of space issues...I am thinking to lay down the prismatic cells instead of standing them up as most of pictures show.

Is there any harm ?

Thanks, Innocent

They look very cool in the side like DMI INC did ... but no I would not put them on that position.

I put mine laying down in a wall cabinet from Menards much like the one above. The weight of the above cells will help keep them compressed.

I put mine laying down in a wall cabinet from Menards much like the one above. The weight of the above cells will help keep them compressed.
compression will get less and less with height...
no testing data, but common senses says keeping all cells at the same compression level is pretty good idea

Last edited:
I've always thought if the vent is on the top, between the posts, then that was intended to be just that...the top. Easy test to my logic is lay mustard bottle on it's side and give it a punch vs. standing it straight up and giving it a punch. Logic dictates that the bottle on it's side will expel more mustard. See how sciencey I am?

Is there any harm ?

Thanks, Innocent
From the Calb manual: "Power module or battery shall be operated in accordance with relevant instructions;
1) After clamping, each battery group should be fixed into the power module properly with the terminals upward clamped .Placing the battery on its side is not recommended , installing the battery upside down is prohibited ;
2) When clipping the power modules into group, make sure all flat washers, spring washers and nuts in readiness and tight". https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...4b0ff4fc1817c08/1430244273977/User+Manual.pdf

I've always thought if the vent is on the top, between the posts, then that was intended to be just that...the top. Easy test to my logic is lay mustard bottle on it's side and give it a punch vs. standing it straight up and giving it a punch. Logic dictates that the bottle on it's side will expel more mustard. See how sciencey I am?
I store my mustard upside down in the frig. I have had no catastrophic failures.

If space constraints were insurmountable my next choice, not the best, would be to lay them on there sides narrow edge down; not flat. I would clamp them as the manufacturer recommends.

I store my mustard upside down in the frig. I have had no catastrophic failures.
hell I do that with mustard, ketchup and mayonnaise, but if one of them leaks it is simple to clean up.... a toxic brew of lithium battery electrolyte is not something I want to deal with. Also Mustard and ketchup are cheap... a LiFePo4cell is not.

If space constraints were insurmountable my next choice, not the best, would be to lay them on there sides narrow edge down; not flat. I would clamp them as the manufacturer recommends.
Yes, if laid on the wider side some of the plates are being starved of electrolyte. Although I wouldn’t lay them on any side.

Attachments

• 85EA5AC1-9AE6-46D1-AD41-27B6141B7EE9.png
    85EA5AC1-9AE6-46D1-AD41-27B6141B7EE9.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 16
Yes, if laid on the wider side some of the plates are being starved of electrolyte. Although I wouldn’t lay them on any side.
It is very much preferable to do as the manufacturer recommends. In the case of the Calb cells their instructions state that they should be upright. If at all possible in the OPs situation he should follow what is in the manufacturers manual.

Back