diy solar

diy solar

Ideas for breaker panel connection of hybrid battery inverter

jahyde

Hi, I am in the planning process and my goal is to eventually cancel utility service. But there might be an interim period where I need to run both utility and AIO Hybrid together as a whole home UPS. I will be running 1 Growatt 10k (ideally 2 future for redundancy), and 30k of battery. I have no plans to sell back to the grid.

I ran a clamp meter on the main line from the meter and turned on everything possible and got peak ~60 amps per line, 45 running amps.
I am considering replacing my 125A breaker panel, currently the meter is built in to the panel and there is a 10 inch jumper wire from the meter base to the main lugs. it's outdoor, flush mount in stucco with overhead drop thru the roof. How can I best take advantage of the AIO inverter wired as a UPS, and program the inverter for power routing, ie prefer solar/battery over grid.

For the AIO to run as intended it should be in line with the meter and panel so it can decide what is best, Im not sure what is the easiest way to do that. It would seem maybe a separate stand alone meter enclosure would be better and then run through some sort of single breaker junction box to the Growatt, then back to the main panel. Any ideas for brands or specific models is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If I can't figure out an easy way to do that, I might need to just plan an instant cutover to the AIO with no going back to grid... But I just ponder the possibilities of one day adding lots more solar/batts to charge an EV and the need to fallback to grid on cloudy days.
Bumping your post. I'll mention that if you cut down on the wording you're more likely to get answers.

Something like this might be a great place to get you started. Others will hopefully be along soon with better ideas.

Thanks for those tips, I have seen that product, but it is more of a critical loads panel for dealing with random outages, my scenario is 24/7 solar+battery, and then what if I'm short on power and need the grid. So how do I wire my AIO inverter in between the grid and the main panel? Worst case is I might cut the cord now... but some day buying an EV might mean I need the grid back to help charge the car.

Hi,
I'm trying to figure a similar set up I think, as in solar and battery when possible and grid as a back up.
And connected to the main panel so we have solar available through the house circuit, and no chance of feeding back to the grid.
Trying to avoid the interconnection to grid step so we have a wider choice of inverters and less steps to figure out.

I'm not sure if this maybe relevant yet, but seems like the part about dynamic bonding could be the way to achieve it, I may be very wrong on this though!

Edit:
just found this which has very useful detail in option 3

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back