diy solar

diy solar

Ideas needed: What to mount SCC, shunt and other components on ?

meetyg

Solar Enthusiast
I am planning to put an SCC, shunt, battery, fuse box and some other components inside the trunk of my hatchback, as part of my (experiment) solar build.

I was wondering what would be the best "thing" to mount these on/in.

I have seen many just mount the components on a piece of plywood. Seems to be the easiest and cheapest way.
But, I am a bit concerned on using wood, as in case of an electrical short and possibly a fire, that would burn up quickly and take the car with it o_O

On the other hand, wood is non-conductive, so it may be wise to use...

A few more options:
1. A plastic "suitcase" (like the ones some are using for DIY battery builds).
It would make everything tidy, and less prone to harm from things moving around in the trunk. But on the other hand it won't allow airflow (unless I drill some holes...)

2. A small computer case.
This would be pretty nice too, as they usually have air vents (and I could easily add a fan if I thought necessary), and some mounting holes/brackets.
But, these are usually made of aluminum/metal (although painted), and in theory cause a short if a wire got loose somehow.

I don't have to have the case fit the battery, but it would be nice to have it strapped down somehow/to something. I will be using a fairly small 12v 20Ah Lifepo4.

So in short, my main goal is to mount the components other than the battery.

What do you think? Any other (safe) ideas?
Preferably something fire/flame resistant...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Plastic suitcases would burn even easier.
Steel sheet backing could turn to glowing hot if you short something to it.

thick piece of FR-4 rated fiberglass (Garolite G10) would be one option: fire resistant and very durable but expensive and nasty to work with. And while it doesn’t sustain fire the smoke is so nasty smelling that you rather wish that the car burned down entirely.

some variation of cement board should also work. Personally I’d pay attention to proper fusing and good joints and use plywood.

Last edited:
I actually had an idea of putting a silicone mat on some plywood. The kind sold used for soldering tables.
These mats are heat resistant, and are suppose to be good electrical isolators...

Does it make sense?

My plan is to use a piece of the concrete board and a piece of plywood behind it. The concrete board is fire proof and non-conductive and the plywood behind it gives the screws something to really bite into. Plus, the concrete board is cheap.

My plan is to use a piece of the concrete board and a piece of plywood behind it. The concrete board is fire proof and non-conductive and the plywood behind it gives the screws something to really bite into. Plus, the concrete board is cheap.
How heavy is the concrete board?
I would think it would be a bit heavy for an in-vehicle install.

Well I'm planning on just getting the 1/4" stuff and cutting it down to 3ft x 4ft to fit in my rack so weight isn't an issue as much, but it's pretty light with the thinner stuff and if all you're looking for is insulation it might be an option.

Thanks.
I've also heard that it produces dust/particles even after drilling or cutting. Is that safe for a closed environment? I wouldn't want to be breathing that stuff :rolleyes:

I think I'll try my silicone mat solution. Should be pretty safe.
I'll update when I get it and start mounting things.

PVC foam ‘lumber’ is not plywood and takes a lot of input to burn. Silicone mat on plywood makes some sense; probably what I would do

Back