diy solar

diy solar

In 20 years, you likely will not buy another LFP pack.

It's an interesting topic. I've crossed 2000 cycles on my oldest battery (1 of 9 for 121kwh) after 6.5yrs of operation and no sign of degradation at avg 37% DoD. The youngest of 9 is only 400 cycles. At this rate - e.g. 2000 cycles per 6.5yrs I could go another 13-20yrs for 4000-6000cycles and since I'm older and in my final home... this battery bank may very well be 'it' for me - e.g. no need for future battery purchases.

I have to say that the battery portion of the system operates with almost no maint - just a little touch up balancing every 6-9 months. It's probably the most maint free system I have in my life! - boring!

Time will tell :)

Thats a great …and accurate word…it’s also a very un- exciting word….and it’s true..
And after it’s complete and runnin smooth that word describes your entire emotional Solar experience unless somthing breaks ,or is stolen, or you replace / add a new widget you ordered..

If you restore an old corvette, you and a buddy can go push through the curves…”wow..” hey let’s go have a beer..

If you custom shop build a .338 superdupper Zombie whacker you and a buddy can go practice 1000 yard shots.”.wow..” hey let’s go have a beer…
BUT….
If you invite your buddy or “anyone” over to watch how many milliseconds it takes for your system to transfer to solar if the grid fails , or how quiet the fans are when pushing hard or brag about being 96.365 efficient with a new device….or whatever….
then all ya hear is crickets………or ……
“ gotta run man, wife needs me to help with the dishes.” .

It’s actually very odd…you know they are Gona be calling on ya when the big one arrives and they have no power……….Baawaawaawaa!!!

You would think they would be interested to learn.🤔

Thats a great …and accurate word…it’s also a very un- exciting word….and it’s true..
And after it’s complete and runnin smooth that word describes your entire emotional Solar experience unless somthing breaks ,or is stolen, or you replace / add a new widget you ordered..

If you restore an old corvette, you and a buddy can go push through the curves…”wow..” hey let’s go have a beer..

If you custom shop build a .338 superdupper Zombie whacker you and a buddy can go practice 1000 yard shots.”.wow..” hey let’s go have a beer…
BUT….
If you invite your buddy or “anyone” over to watch how many milliseconds it takes for your system to transfer to solar if the grid fails , or how quiet the fans are when pushing hard or brag about being 96.365 efficient with a new device….or whatever….
then all ya hear is crickets………or ……
“ gotta run man, wife needs me to help with the dishes.” .

It’s actually very odd…you know they are Gona be calling on ya when the big one arrives and they have no power……….Baawaawaawaa!!!

You would think they would be interested to learn.🤔
So true. I've never seen such a LACK OF INTEREST in the DIY battery portion of my system or even the off-grid solar in general. Even my computer server center engineer friends that are comfortable with math and should understand kwh(s) as server centers use significant power - just yawn and change the subject. Oh well.... we've got this forum for us (boring) folks. :)

Last edited:
It's an interesting topic. I've crossed 2000 cycles on my oldest battery (1 of 9 for 121kwh) after 6.5yrs of operation and no sign of degradation at avg 37% DoD. The youngest of 9 is only 400 cycles. At this rate - e.g. 2000 cycles per 6.5yrs I could go another 13-20yrs for 4000-6000cycles and since I'm older and in my final home... this battery bank may very well be 'it' for me - e.g. no need for future battery purchases.

I have to say that the battery portion of the system operates with almost no maint - just a little touch up balancing every 6-9 months. It's probably the most maint free system I have in my life! - boring!

Time will tell :)
Careful, if you’re run out of projects (especially solar ones), you die.

I don't see how solar can possibly get any cheaper than it is now. Panels are selling for little more than the cost of aluminum and glass, plus a bit of handling.

I don't see how solar can possibly get any cheaper than it is now. Panels are selling for little more than the cost of aluminum and glass, plus a bit of handling.
You are correct… there’s alway a certain percentage of people who can’t pull the trigger at the right time…It’s called paralysis through analysis ….or fear….or greed ….
They are the ones who later on are always saying they wish they had bought when the price was
( - - - )…..?
We all know people like that…

Once somthing hits a point it’s a great deal and works for the purpose ..boom , do it…!
Now start on new acquisitions… new stuff..stuff that you can afford easier now ……

When anything gets to cheap its either runs verticle , or it just leaves the market…

Perhaps solar panels are going the way of the VHS players… maybe so…

We will know soon I think….

I don't want to build my own batteries right now. Who's got the best deals and best quality for the money these days? Rack mount or wall mount? I'm not seeing prices 1/4 from what I remember them a few years ago ..with as a example rack mount batteries. Do you guys still like trophy batteries?
You can get a fully assembled epoch rack for 7,200 (w/ diysolar10 discount code) $234/kWh

Ruixu has a new outdoor rated standalone for $3,399. Probably the best value for a plug and play. Issue being they're so new there's not too much information or availability. Also, UL listing isnt complete if that's something you need. $212/kWh

The PowerPro standalone seemed like the best value for a while. Some availability. Certs complete. $3,299 indoor. $3,599 outdoor. $230/kWh & $251/kWh

Separate rack mounts Ruixus seem like the lowest cost at $1,099 for 5.12kWh. Epochs are $1,169.10 after code and are self heated. $214/kWh & $228/kWh

Shipping is obviously a big cost and can differentiate these heavily, but I can't generalize that.

You can get a fully assembled epoch rack for 7,200 (w/ diysolar10 discount code) $234/kWh

Ruixu has a new outdoor rated standalone for $3,399. Probably the best value for a plug and play. Issue being they're so new there's not too much information or availability. Also, UL listing isnt complete if that's something you need. $212/kWh

The PowerPro standalone seemed like the best value for a while. Some availability. Certs complete. $3,299 indoor. $3,599 outdoor. $230/kWh & $251/kWh

Separate rack mounts Ruixus seem like the lowest cost at $1,099 for 5.12kWh. Epochs are $1,169.10 after code and are self heated. $214/kWh & $228/kWh

Shipping is obviously a big cost and can differentiate these heavily, but I can't generalize that.
Thank for the comprehensive list.

EG-4 power pro battery with the 18kPV is probably the lowest cost UL9540A certified ESS on the market that has 14.3KWH. Would I be incorrect in saying that?

I think most of us will run our packs we have purchased in the last 2 years for a decade or two but the replacement wont be LFP. LFP is great but better stuff is coming. Maybe LFP will just be dirt cheap by then. Seems like battery tech is moving fast. I'm already at 2 years of good use with my first LFP bank and its going strong. Prices are 1/4 of what I payed 2 years ago. The dreadful days of lead are finally over.

Its a great time to go off-grid with battery prices dropping and panels are a decent price. Jump in everyone, the water is fine.
I'm in agreement. I loaded up to a certain extent on the current technology. I might go up on battery storage a little, but i figure the next big thing is 7 or 8 years away unless we have a "reset" or something. I'll wait and see what happens. I sure would like to have a small reactor about the size of a 4 ton ac unit kicking out 18,000 watts on demand, but we can never have nice things because humans just can't be trusted with something like that.

Our 4 cell 300Ah Sinopoly LiFePO4 battery pack has now survived 10 years of fulltime travel both powering the RV and starting the 3.9l TD truck engine.
Over those 10 years I have read umpteen times about the revolutionary new battery technologies just around the corner.
Which corner? I'm still waiting.
Oh well perhaps it all might occur within the next 10 years but I won't hold my breath.

EG-4 power pro battery with the 18kPV is probably the lowest cost UL9540A certified ESS on the market that has 14.3KWH. Would I be incorrect in saying that?
How do you interface the Power Pro with the LiFePower? I was checking it out but already have a cabinet of the 100ampers

My grandchildren will be the ones that will replace my batteries.
Hopefully by then, they can get a portable nuclear reactor or ZPM.
Or at least a mark 1 reactor.
Isn't that big yellow ball of fusion energy in the sky already our ZPM??

I would love to see some new type of battery tech come along in 10-or so years - smaller/cheaper/more capacity/safer
After upgrading the ESS - I would go absolutely crazy working on re-purposing all these LFP cells for other projects!
ATV -electric conversion, Lawn Tractor, Sawmill, ...LOL :ROFLMAO:

I'm in agreement. I loaded up to a certain extent on the current technology. I might go up on battery storage a little, but i figure the next big thing is 7 or 8 years away unless we have a "reset" or something. I'll wait and see what happens. I sure would like to have a small reactor about the size of a 4 ton ac unit kicking out 18,000 watts on demand, but we can never have nice things because humans just can't be trusted with something like that.
I want a “patio nuke reactor” 24” x18 “ 2 ft high…that blends in with the patio theme…safe…weather proof , AI controled , needs no wiring…..
that can put out 50kwh continuously for the next 150 years… and is totally silent …and can’t shock the dog…
Now we’re talking back up power….
I’m all in..

J.*

I want a “patio nuke reactor” 24” x18 “ 2 ft high…that blends in with the patio theme…safe…weather proof , AI controled , needs no wiring…..
that can put out 50kwh continuously for the next 150 years… and is totally silent …and can’t shock the dog…
Didn't the Voyager have a RTG that is still running after 50-years of use...but cost millions, and plutonium might shock the dog...

Didn't the Voyager have a RTG that is still running after 50-years of use...but cost millions, and plutonium might shock the dog...
I want the di-lithium crystal version with a buffer gronification unit..in Victron Blue…
they will be cheap at Costco and pet safe .
I also want slow blinking blue and yellow lights on it too..

Sure, but imagine that The Next Best Thing is invented today. How long before you can buy it at the level of engineering, reliability, and cost you can the COTS batteries of today? LFP was ‘invented’ around 1996, so the next EG4 PowerPro equivalent using TNG technology is 25-30 years away.

I’m all in..

J.*
I already got one.

diy solar

diy solar
Back