diy solar

diy solar

In 20 years, you likely will not buy another LFP pack.

LFP was ‘invented’ around 1996, so the next EG4 PowerPro equivalent using TNG technology is 25-30 years away.
The reason why it took so long was that Chinese factories were waiting for all the key LFP patents to expire in 2022. UT Austin probably over-valued their patents and were not able to come to reasonable terms with manufacturers, especially overseas ones. Many such cases.

EG-4 power pro battery with the 18kPV is probably the lowest cost UL9540A certified ESS on the market that has 14.3KWH. Would I be incorrect in saying that?
That should be correct. I can't find a list of all 9540a certifications to do am exhaustive search.

When Ruixu finishes testing on their 12k inverter and 16k battery it should take that title. OFC EG4 will likely respond to maintain competitiveness.

You are correct… there’s alway a certain percentage of people who can’t pull the trigger at the right time…It’s called paralysis through analysis ….or fear….or greed ….
They are the ones who later on are always saying they wish they had bought when the price was
( - - - )…..?
We all know people like that…

Once somthing hits a point it’s a great deal and works for the purpose ..boom , do it…!
Now start on new acquisitions… new stuff..stuff that you can afford easier now ……

When anything gets to cheap its either runs verticle , or it just leaves the market…

Perhaps solar panels are going the way of the VHS players… maybe so…

We will know soon I think….
JRH agreed Im terrible with the analysis paralysis but recent prices have convinced me to move ahead on my project if it works it works

I actually think LFP variants and new cells designs will be around for a long time. It's going to take many decades until solid state batteries can be manufactured at large volume.
Agreed Samsung and Toyota have been saying for years they would have solid state EV's out by now and they keep pushing back and I think the earliest I have seen in news reports is 2027 on low volume production with no guarantee on what the energy density is going to be.. in the meantime CATL has broken 500wh/L already with traditional chemistries.

Last edited:
you all must live boring lives...at 57 if I am still alive in 20 years, something has gone seriously wrong with the world... that or the star trek version of medical where a tricorder and a stim shot will fix anything has happened.
Would it be fair to say that the fact you are 57, something is already “seriously wrong with the world?”

In 20 I'm using my own Cold Fusion Home Rector (tm).
Gotten tired of waiting for someone to make one, I'll do it myself ^^.
ZPM as a backup ofc.

I'm not kidding. :cool:

Last edited:
Would it be fair to say that the fact you are 57, something is already “seriously wrong with the world?”
yes something has seriously gone wrong.. should have been dead by 25.... lets look at the boxes I check...
  • 18-25 male from rural hold ma be-er area
  • joins USMC 85-93
    • multiple deployments
    • has kids and divorces
  • races cars from the 80's till current
    • on street in the 80's teens early 20's
    • hillclimb and winding mountain roads
    • graduates to racing on tracks in early 90's
    • build first 400hp+ car in 1998
    • builds first 500hp+ car in 2004 cracks 650 in 2009.
    • races up until 2010
  • chases lots and lots of women (who would have thought that would be dangerous?)
    • pissed of dads
    • pissed off brothers
      • no pissed off husbands, homy don't play that game
  • drinks wild turkey50/50
  • starts playing with high voltage solar and batteries
  • listens to the following people for various advice (this comes back around tot he hold ma beer)
    • will prowse
    • Sunshine Eggo
    • Tims Electric
    • and the useual cast of villiage idiots including myself
so I ask myself will I survive 20 more years of this stupidity? HOLD MA BEER

Last edited:
yes something has seriously gone wrong.. should have been dead by 25.... lets look at the boxes I check...
  • 18-25 male from rural hold ma be-er area
  • joins USMC 85-93
    • multiple deployments
    • has kids and divorces
  • races cars from the 80's till current
    • on street in the 80's teens early 20's
    • hillclimb and winding mountain roads
    • graduates to racing on tracks in early 90's
    • build first 400hp+ car in 1998
    • builds first 500hp+ car in 2004 cracks 650 in 2009.
    • races up until 2010
  • chases lots and lots of women (who would have thought that would be dangerous?)
    • pissed of dads
    • pissed off brothers
      • no pissed off husbands, homy don't play that game
  • drinks wild turkey50/50
  • starts playing with high voltage solar and batteries
  • listens to the following people for various advice (this comes back around tot he hold ma beer)
    • will prowse
    • Sunshine Eggo
    • Tims Electric
    • and the useual cast of villiage idiots including myself
so I ask myself will I survive 20 more years of this stupidity? HOLD MA BEER
Can totally relate….
Except wild turkey on the rocks…

Whiskey bottles, brand new cars , Oak tree you’re in my way…………..J.

Someone may have already said it, but LiFePo4 is pretty good. Charge/ discharge rates work well for offgrid power. If they work out a way for an extreme temp range for both charging and discharging, say 0 to 120-Fahrenheit, that to me is the final frontier. I know that you can do that now to a certain extent, but at the detriment to the longevity of the battery. Yes, I would like the weight to be even less, but I was using lead acid 4 years ago, so I'm good.....for now.

Someone may have already said it, but LiFePo4 is pretty good. Charge/ discharge rates work well for offgrid power. If they work out a way for an extreme temp range for both charging and discharging, say 0 to 120-Fahrenheit, that to me is the final frontier. I know that you can do that now to a certain extent, but at the detriment to the longevity of the battery. Yes, I would like the weight to be even less, but I was using lead acid 4 years ago, so I'm good.....for now.
i started out with lead acid around 2012 (AGM to be exact) and graduated to LiFePo4 right before I joined this forum. I had looked at Lithium around 2014 but the tech was not advanced to the point that I felt it was safe for diy use. now it is just as safe in my opinion as any other battery chemistry and it seems to me all of the issues are connection related or user error. fairly sure they will outlast me.

-nearly drowed when I was 4 years old, by a fluke my older brother heard 'something' and got me out in time.
six decades later, I ain't ready to go, even if it's all been on borrowed time.
The ol-man and his ol man before him both made it to 94, so I gotta keep going thirty more years just to keep up.

-nearly drowed when I was 4 years old, by a fluke my older brother heard 'something' and got me out in time.
six decades later, I ain't ready to go, even if it's all been on borrowed time.
The ol-man and his ol man before him both made it to 94, so I gotta keep going thirty more years just to keep up.
Get a head start on your next project then.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    177.6 KB · Views: 12
How about those LTO batteries?! Now those things are pretty amazing, but don't see them around much for various reasons in solar storage. Busses? One is including price! They don't came anywhere near lifepo4's $/kwh.

How about those LTO batteries?! Now those things are pretty amazing, but don't see them around much for various reasons
They seem super from the specs ...BUT THE PRICE !
I was tempted a few times, but was able to catch myself - "Don't Spend Any Money" ! (DSAM) is my mental recording on repeat... but wait ...just one more: 15kWh DIY battery pack, two SRNE 12kW inverters, 12 more 550W PV panels...then I will be good...oh and one more EV... Agh!

diy solar

diy solar
Back