diy solar

diy solar

Interesting Full PV Residential Off-Grid Install

tictag

Off-Grid Enthusiast
Interesting full PV residential off-grid install:

It's interesting to see the size/scale of these components and cables, only being used to small mobile vehicle installs myself. I like the fact that they have their cake and eat it with the hybrid inverter (grid-tie + off-grid).

My only doubt is about the nature of 'normal' and 'critical' loads. Why not just power everything on grid failure then turn off what you want to to save energy? Leave the choice to the customer...

Actually subscribed to their YouTube channel! I like what they do.

My only doubt is about the nature of 'normal' and 'critical' loads. Why not just power everything on grid failure then turn off what you want to to save energy? Leave the choice to the customer...

In my case I didn't want to spec an inverter to supply the entire house loads. Specifically the large 220v split phase loads. So it makes sense for me to "rewire" critical circuits to a separate "critical circuits" subpannel and just feed that with the solar +battery. And while mine is 6kw, I still have the option of continuing to pair that down to just refrigeration/lights/pump in the worst of cases.

In my case I didn't want to spec an inverter to supply the entire house loads.
Ahh, yes, of course, on switch over if all the house loads were connected, this might overload the inverter. Good point.

Back