diy solar

diy solar

Off Grid Install: Paralleling 2X EG4 18k's

You could stack two victron 10ks for less money and have surge capacity that's outta this world

Also battery hookup has a 71kwh battery setup for $8800. With bms it's less than $10k. Not plug and play but needs minimal work
Gonna have to check out the battery hookup site u referenced. Sounds reasonable.

You’d prefer two 10ks to one 15k and autotransformer?

You could stack two victron 10ks for less money and have surge capacity that's outta this world.

Also battery hookup has a 71kwh battery setup for $8800. With bms it's less than $10k. Not plug and play but needs minimal work

Give serious thought to minisplits. Ducted or ductless. No surge to speak of and very efficient. Also very diy friendly
The county has a 100A minimum which would then require 3 victrons. I looked at victrons for my RV but i love how everything is integrated in the EG4 and Sol-Arks.

Gonna have to check out the battery hookup site u referenced. Sounds reasonable.

You’d prefer two 10ks to one 15k and autotransformer?
I prefer anything to solark .

Battery hookup

They also have a 344kwh setup for 27.5k but that would be a logistical challenge to put it mildly

You don't need a big generator when you have batteries. 10kW should work.
Yeah, i went back and forth on this one but my logic was the "what if" on thanksgiving when the girls are using double ovens and a stove top (induction), ac on because they are heating the house up, and the batteries are drained. the double ovens are 10kwa alone!

Hello,

Im in Riverside County, CA and in the process of building a 3600sq.ft home. I just received the tentative bill from so-cal Edison and they want $28k to pull wire (assuming I share the pole tap). That's not including all the trenching, pull boxes, and conduit that I would have to install. Im not looking for sympathy, rather, an off grid solution to bypass edison. Since the cost is so high and the distance to the pole is so far (1200ft), the county will review/ consider an off grid install.

Equipment: I have a 400a, solar ready panel and im looking to install the following -- 2x EG4 18k Inverters; 20x 450W panels (another 20x to follow later); 6x Eg4-LL bats (another 6x batts to follow later); and a 20kw Kohler backup gen. The problem im having is it seems that almost every discussion and video pertains to grid-tied solutions or older inverter systems that don't have all the integrated functionality of the new EG4 18k so it is difficult to assess what is needed (i.e., will the PV breaker on the inverter suffice for a kill switch or will county code make me put an external one as well)...do I tie the gen into one inverter or terminal block into both...

To my question: what is the best way to connect the 2x inverters, 20x panels (2 strings of 10), single battery bank (6x batts), and back up gen to the solar ready 400a panel? Please don't say "connect the inverters to the panel" and "connect the battery bank to the inverter"...The biggest problem that im having is that no one actually shows how systems are wired together AND into the breaker panel.

PS: im not an electrician but semi-intelligent and able to size the system and make the appropriate calculations. Please excuse my ignorance as im trying to learn without making a catastrophic mistake.
Good question, I am thinking of a very similar installation on my property in Hayesville NC. I am thinking of getting the package deal from Signature Solar that includes 36 bifacial bluesun panels and 6 eg4 batteries(including cabnet). One 18k is included and I was thinking I'd add a second inverter. Good reviews, ez clean installation, simple user friendly programming, what seems like a good price.

Yeah, i went back and forth on this one but my logic was the "what if" on thanksgiving when the girls are using double ovens and a stove top (induction), ac on because they are heating the house up, and the batteries are drained. the double ovens are 10kwa alone!
That is bad planning. If the weather outlook is bad, and you are having a party, you go into the party with fully charged batteries.

What do you do when you forgot to fill the gas tank of the generator? It is futile to plan for stupid.

That is bad planning. If the weather outlook is bad, and you are having a party, you go into the party with fully charged batteries.

What do you do when you forgot to fill the gas tank of the generator? It is futile to plan for stupid.
This is a bit strong.
Only we care about battery SOC, PV harvest, saving power etc, the rest of the family expect the light to turn on when they hit the switch, simple as that.

I would use propane, or natural gas instead of gasoline which turns to varnish sits too long. Most just use Generac with natural gas if available but I think California banning that with new build homes. 26KW Generac about $6300 Propane tanks are cheap just set it up to cycle once a month keep the engine good shape.

K490 is correct. Forget about gas. Propane or NG.

Do you need to parallel the 18kpv...or just run them separate with their own battery banks? Dual outputs to a junction box, then big wire to your main lugs on your 400amp panel. Would that work?

K490 is correct. Forget about gas. Propane or NG.

Do you need to parallel the 18kpv...or just run them separate with their own battery banks? Dual outputs to a junction box, then big wire to your main lugs on your 400amp panel. Would that work?
Seems reasonable

Noticed Steve R's post about his off grid project in riverside. Intersting. I am also in process of building an off grid home project near temecula ca. We are in process of developing our home plans with architect and will be proceding to build in the next year or so. I know of only one person in my area that got approved for total off grid (he was 1500ft from power). I'm wondering how much headache I will get with our local riveside county building dept in getting my off grid approved. Edison actually engouraged me to go off grid when the engineer began estimating my costs for installing a transformer 700 feet away from the street and trenching through super rocky soils.

Hello,

Im in Riverside County, CA and in the process of building a 3600sq.ft home. I just received the tentative bill from so-cal Edison and they want $28k to pull wire (assuming I share the pole tap). That's not including all the trenching, pull boxes, and conduit that I would have to install. Im not looking for sympathy, rather, an off grid solution to bypass edison. Since the cost is so high and the distance to the pole is so far (1200ft), the county will review/ consider an off grid install.

Equipment: I have a 400a, solar ready panel and im looking to install the following -- 2x EG4 18k Inverters; 20x 450W panels (another 20x to follow later); 6x Eg4-LL bats (another 6x batts to follow later); and a 20kw Kohler backup gen. The problem im having is it seems that almost every discussion and video pertains to grid-tied solutions or older inverter systems that don't have all the integrated functionality of the new EG4 18k so it is difficult to assess what is needed (i.e., will the PV breaker on the inverter suffice for a kill switch or will county code make me put an external one as well)...do I tie the gen into one inverter or terminal block into both...

To my question: what is the best way to connect the 2x inverters, 20x panels (2 strings of 10), single battery bank (6x batts), and back up gen to the solar ready 400a panel? Please don't say "connect the inverters to the panel" and "connect the battery bank to the inverter"...The biggest problem that im having is that no one actually shows how systems are wired together AND into the breaker panel.

PS: im not an electrician but semi-intelligent and able to size the system and make the appropriate calculations. Please excuse my ignorance as im trying to learn without making a catastrophic mistake.

I'm using 4-60A breakers in my main solar panel. L1, & L2 from each inverter into the breakers and that becomes your AC feed. They are at the top of the panel.

Attachments

• 20230727_125803.jpg
    20230727_125803.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 14
I agree with that. I am trying to do the same thing by an Install a second inverter. The manuals do not help with off grid.
I’m old-fashioned I’d rather talk to somebody so if you have any questions about my setup or any help with yours you may call me at 8048323269 and plus I have an additional 12 415 W panels on the roof I haven’t finished the third Auto tracking system yet they are all temporary. Hooked up so far for testing.

Attachments

• IMG_3426.jpeg
    IMG_3426.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3865.jpeg
    IMG_3865.jpeg
    585.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3656.jpeg
    IMG_3656.jpeg
    405.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    666.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    598.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3661.jpeg
    IMG_3661.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 5
I agree with that. I am trying to do the same thing by an Install a second inverter. The manuals do not help with off grid.
Parallel the load to both inverters, parallel the battery to both. Helpful to split pv, but not necessary. Put more pv on the master. Install communications between inverters. Configure for parallel. Parallel gen port if used. Parallel grid if generator on that.

Basically same as grid, but no grid.

Back