diy solar

diy solar

Inverter for L2 EV Charging

Tyler702

Desert dweller, quiet prepper
I'm considering getting a dedicated 4000 or 6000W 240V inverter strictly for L2 charging of my 2015 Leaf. Any reason I can't opt for a modified sinewave unit instead of full blown PSW? The cost difference is big, and it will be strictly for charging batteries. Is it critical?

My EV getting delivered is much too expensive to be the Guinea pig for a MSW.

A proper installation for a level 2 system is pricey. I can’t see a MSW saving that much money percentage wise.

If you do this I’d like to see a write up.

How many amps charging do you expect with 4Kw - 6 kw? I would think 20 amps maybe 25 amps 240 volts.

My EV getting delivered is much too expensive to be the Guinea pig for a MSW.

A proper installation for a level 2 system is pricey. I can’t see a MSW saving that much money percentage wise.

If you do this I’d like to see a write up.

How many amps charging do you expect with 4Kw - 6 kw? I would think 20 amps maybe 25 amps 240 volts.
My L2 EVSE is a 15A version plugged into a 240V dryer plug in my garage, but I really want to charge it off Grid, I have plenty of battery and panels. My thinking was, since I'm not really powering sensitive electronics, and the car has its own onboard charger, it would act as the middleman between the EV batteries and the incoming 240V MSW. Does the onboard charger care if it's pure sine wave or msw? I do not know.

If it is a LEAF someone here has tried it all:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com

I don't think the charger cares about MSW vs SW.
Yea, I'm posting over there as well. There may be a specific nissan quirk about MSW vs PSW, but really, makes me wonder if most EV's care or not. A quick check, shows an AIMS 5000W 240VAC MSW for $589 and an AIMS 6000W 120/240 PSW for $1816, so yea.. that extra grand is kinda important!

I'm considering getting a dedicated 4000 or 6000W 240V inverter strictly for L2 charging of my 2015 Leaf. Any reason I can't opt for a modified sinewave unit instead of full blown PSW? The cost difference is big, and it will be strictly for charging batteries. Is it critical?

EV onboard chargers have active PFC that does not work well with modified sine wave power.

EV onboard chargers have active PFC that does not work well with modified sine wave power.
Power Factor Correction. Ok.. thanks for that. Looking into that now! Research never ends..lol

Yea, I'm posting over there as well. There may be a specific nissan quirk about MSW vs PSW, but really, makes me wonder if most EV's care or not. A quick check, shows an AIMS 5000W 240VAC MSW for $589 and an AIMS 6000W 120/240 PSW for $1816, so yea.. that extra grand is kinda important!

Perhaps a Sigineer 48V 6000W 120/240 PSW inverter/charger. It is rumored they make some of the AIMS units. If it works could save a few bucks?

Perhaps a Sigineer 48V 6000W 120/240 PSW inverter/charger. It is rumored they make some of the AIMS units. If it works could save a few bucks?

That could work too. I have a 24V system, but they do offer that flavor. I just wish I could find strictly an inverter. Don't need the inverter/charger/hybrid combos, nor anything tied to the grid. I think this particular one requires to be plugged into a 240Vac source for pass thru and charging if your batteries go into low voltage disconnect. My understanding is they will not work without it. I may be wrong though. I'll read up more.

That could work too. I have a 24V system, but they do offer that flavor. I just wish I could find strictly an inverter. Don't need the inverter/charger/hybrid combos, nor anything tied to the grid. I think this particular one requires to be plugged into a 240Vac source for pass thru and charging if your batteries go into low voltage disconnect. My understanding is they will not work without it. I may be wrong though. I'll read up more.

I had a Sungold Power 12VDC 2000 Watt 120 VAC PSW inverter/charger that looked like a relabeled Sigineer (The manuals were almost identical). The dip switches could be configured so if power was lost (120VAC) the inverter/charger would act like a UPS and only run from 12 VDC. It also had an inverter priority mode that would run from battery as long as the battery voltage was above 11.5 volts. The way I used it 120 VAC input was rarely connected to the inverter/charger and it just ran off of battery.

If the Sigineer 24V 6000W 120/240 split phase PSW inverter/charger is the same, then it could run as and inverter only from DC.

Back