diy solar

diy solar

inverter replacement - permissions etc

geo3geo

My 11 yr old inverter has died and it seems straightforward enough to fit a replacement myself. But it's not clear from what I've found online whether I can legitimately do this. I'd appreciate any feedback on the following.
1. Reading my FIT meter reading declaration (to my EDF supplier) they are only interested in PV panel generating capacity increases, inverter change is not mentioned, so do I need to inform them ?
2. Is there any legal requirement to use a 'qualified electrician? Or indeed an MCS certificated electrician?
3. Do I need to send a G98 form to connect the new invertor to the grid.
4. The original installation has all the MCS certifications, do I need to get this updated, presumably via an MCS approved person?

The last thing I want to do is risk loosing my generous FIT rate !

Many thanks

Just buy and fit a new inverter with the same capacity as the old one and ensuring the DC side can handle the panel setup ie max DC and Amps.

Your DNO will have been notified of a G83 installation, so you can fit a G83 inverter so second hand is an option.

Which 11 year old inverter failed. An ABB by chance, best replaced by a G83 SMA Sunny Boy for £250 to £300.

<<Your DNO will have been notified of a G83 installation, so you can fit a G83 inverter so second hand is an option.>>
I think you are saying no further DNO notification required - right?

Failed unit is a KLNE, I'm proposing to fit a Solis 1.5kW Mini S6 Solar Inverter at £275. I installed one of these last year as part of a separate garden PV array and it's been fine. I had the system registered with the DNO so I know they are happy with the certification that comes with this unit.

I think you are saying no further DNO notification required - right?
You have already notified, they cannot take that away below 3.68kw, you are not increasing output and in fact upgrading from g83 to g98 so you have already notified to G83 and G98 has improvements in grid protection.

Even if you did notify they cannot refuse as its under 3.68kw and only notification is required below 3.68kw, no permission is needed.

You can send them an amendment of the equipment list just for their records but why bother.

There are a high proportion of MCS installs from the time of your installation that never did a DNO notification so you are ahead anyway.

All the DNO cares about is the effect on the local grid, your output remains the same so no transformer upgrades are needed.

Back