diy solar

diy solar

Inverter saying over current

Mattfox27

I have a vehicle mounted system, its using a 280ah LifePo4 Battery Bank 8x3.2v batts with a Daly BMS. Its hooked up to a 6000w Sungold Power inverter, it also has 1200w of solar with a renology solar controller. All the controllers have the default lithium settings set however I keep getting an over current 30v protection warning on the inverter.

The renology solar controller is doing the charging not the inverter, we are using it for dog grooming so its not a super high load maybe 2000w max.

Don't know what to do...

Last edited:
What are your AC loads?
Is the 'over current warning' for AC output?

It's a 12V system with 6kW of inverter?
Or is it a 24V system that's hitting the inverter with 30V?

I have a vehicle mounted system, its using a 280ah LifePo4 Battery Bank 8x3.2v batts with a Daly BMS. Its hooked up to a 6000w Sungold Power inverter, it also has 1200w of solar with a renology solar controller. All the controllers have the default lithium settings set however I keep getting an over current 30v protection warning on the inverter.

Don't know what to do...
Something does not add up. Are getting overload on your controller or inverter? If your controller, we need specs on your panels. If your inverter, what load are you trying to pull at one time?

Is the sungold set to charge higher voltage batteries?
The sungold is not charging anything just the solar controller is charging, its just using stock settings so probably charging at 29v maybe and maybe the sungold is thinking its 30v?

The renology solar controller is doing the charging not the inverter, we are using it for dog grooming so its not a super high load maybe 2000w max.

Don't know what to do...
Does the manual describe the "protection code" you speak of?
Can you post a link to the manual?
Can you post a pic of the error code?

Something does not add up. Are getting overload on your controller or inverter? If your controller, we need specs on your panels. If your inverter, what load are you trying to pull at one time?
Its not overloaded on either, the renology solar controller is doing the charging and at high noon I get an alert on the inverter saying high current 30v so I'm not sure if maybe the renology charger is letting out too much current trying to charge the 24v batt's maybe is my theory.

Its not overloaded on either, the renology solar controller is doing the charging and at high noon I get an alert on the inverter saying high current 30v so I'm not sure if maybe the renology charger is letting out too much current trying to charge the 24v batt's maybe is my theory.
Let's not operate off theories. Lets look at the manual and see what it says about the error code.

Next time it happens you need to pay close attention to the symptoms and accurately match them to the fault documented in the manual's troubleshooting guide. I don't want to "suspect" anything at this point because there is no good reason to. Let the inverter tell us what the fault is, then maybe we can identify the cause.

Record video of the inverter in fault mode and post it on youtube if you have to. Make sure we can hear the beeps and see all of the LEDs mentioned in the manual.

I guess i still do not quite understand. The solar controller will never send more voltage than it is programed for unless it is deflective. If your solar controller is set for 24 volts, that is all it will ever send, within reason. It will do this even though you are receiving more than 24 volts from your solar panels. This is also odd because your batteries would also have to register 30 volts for your inverter to see 30 volts which means your BMS did not shut off. Just sound strange. I can see if your inverter is a 24 volt inverter that it would show over voltage error when it hit 30 volts.

Is the inverter showing over volt or over current? What is it powering?

Is it getting too high of input voltage? Or is it showing over-current from AC draw?

If it's voltage, and your SCC is set to default or full boost voltage of 3.65Vpc, that's 29.2 volts. It's not unheard of for these controllers to over-volt, unless you set the 'maximum' voltage as an upper limit. Frankly I think that is too high for lifepo, I would set boost to 28.4, or even 27.6 with a longer duration to give the charger time to trickle your batteries at a lower charge voltage to reach full charge.

In my experience the SCC always reads higher than the batteries since they measure the system voltage with their charge current on top. If the inverter has a maximum voltage of 30V, it would well be reaching that. Set your charge voltage a little less, and/or your inverter for a little more, and run it, see if you still get an error.

Still curious about what gets powered with a 6kW inverter. Holy cow.

Reactions: Zil
That is more like over 30V protection kick in, V is for Volt, if it is Amp then it should be shown as 30A not 30V.
Can you show the screenshots of that 30V error?

Ok so actually this is what it says...and then it beeps and the inverter shuts off...I'm getting this second hand from my wife she is the one in the vehicle using it. This was the last time it happened a few months ago... I don't know if the error today was the same or not she unfortunately didn't get a picture. The last time we got this error I replaced the solar controller and it hasn't happened for a couple weeks since the controller was replaced and then today it happened again but I don't know if was the same error as this one.IMG_20220414_164743.jpg

Back