diy solar

diy solar

inverter shut down. cuts off electricity.

FYI- all the Victron stuff works just fine even out of internet range - the only thing you lose is access to looking at it from the internet?.

800w / 24v= 33amps of possible charge from an array.

Your batteries are Lithium? Right?

33 amps / 200 amps = .165C that is just about what Ampertime recommends - a .2C charge rate. So adding a second array could be problematic. Now when the sun isn’t shining strongly- then no problem. A lot depends on how many watts your panels deliver (latitude, angle, season, etc.).

I don’t know if your SCC (solar charge controllers) have this setting or not. My Victron mppt’s you can set a total charge rate and the mppt will communicate and not exceed that rate.

One other possible option would be to add another 24v battery (if there is room and budget) - look for a 24v battery instead of two 12v.

(I would probably add the second array even though it might go over - but my panels are flat - so I never see max power).

Good Luck

Consider a different controller. No reason they need to match. One controller could handle all the panels.
I have and recommend Morningstar controllers.
unfortunately we bought them together. we've just been slow setting it up. if the epever can't be fixed we may have buy another one.

unfortunately we bought them together. we've just been slow setting it up. if the epever can't be fixed we may have buy another one.
There are a couple if different ways you can manage this. Yes, one way is get a bigger controller. Consider selling the smaller Tracer, and upgrading to a bigger model, say a 5415, 5420, 6415, or 6420. Since one issue mentioned is the distance from the panels to the controller, a higher voltage controller would allow you to wire all four panels in series, and place them further away in the most optimal position.

Another alternative that will let you expand a bit more is orienting the panels in somewhat different directions. I also include a de-rating factor of ~85% for real-world output to squeeze in a few more watts.

Looking at what you've got right now.... 800W/25V charging = 32A. But, with de-rating that's only 32A X 85% = 27.2A. Looking at your own real-world output, I think what you will be seeing on a regular day is no more than 26-28A max.

You could easily double your wattage if you align the panel strings in somewhat different directions, say Southeast for array 1 and Southwest for array two. Figure out what angle let's you bump up against your 40A limit without exceeding it. Two different directions will damping the noon peak, but broaden the amperage curve over a longer period of the day.

It also tends to help if you are like me and consuming more watts early in the morning, and again later in the afternoon. You use more watts from real-time production rather than pulling the same watts from the battery.

There are a couple if different ways you can manage this. Yes, one way is get a bigger controller. Consider selling the smaller Tracer, and upgrading to a bigger model, say a 5415, 5420, 6415, or 6420. Since one issue mentioned is the distance from the panels to the controller, a higher voltage controller would allow you to wire all four panels in series, and place them further away in the most optimal position.

Another alternative that will let you expand a bit more is orienting the panels in somewhat different directions. I also include a de-rating factor of ~85% for real-world output to squeeze in a few more watts.

Looking at what you've got right now.... 800W/25V charging = 32A. But, with de-rating that's only 32A X 85% = 27.2A. Looking at your own real-world output, I think what you will be seeing on a regular day is no more than 26-28A max.

You could easily double your wattage if you align the panel strings in somewhat different directions, say Southeast for array 1 and Southwest for array two. Figure out what angle let's you bump up against your 40A limit without exceeding it. Two different directions will damping the noon peak, but broaden the amperage curve over a longer period of the day.

It also tends to help if you are like me and consuming more watts early in the morning, and again later in the afternoon. You use more watts from real-time production rather than pulling the same watts from the battery.
hi MichealK,
my panels are set up for 24v series and parallel. for optimal direction they are on wheels and one axis. so when light conditions are low i can always have them perpendicular to the best light. i'm home most of the time, retired. got 4 more panels that will be on the southside of the house same set up once i get the stand finished.
my problem is more that the epever doesn't seem to handle spikes and lets too much through to already full batteries. still not sure what shut everything down last week.
i just recharged all 4 batteries and let them sit. the charges look very different. 2 of the batteries are brand new and the voltage is 13.6 and 13.9. while the older ones (6 months) are 13.8 and 14. 3 something like that. i tied them together last night in parallel and series. the combination now reads 27.7 resting volts. i need to equalize them but have to wait until my lugs come in.
in the meantime i want to reset all the settings on the epever and the inverter.
opinions on those seem to vary. widely.

FYI- all the Victron stuff works just fine even out of internet range - the only thing you lose is access to looking at it from the internet?.

33 amps / 200 amps = .165C that is just about what Ampertime recommends - a .2C charge rate. So adding a second array could be problematic. Now when the sun isn’t shining strongly- then no problem. A lot depends on how many watts your panels deliver (latitude, angle, season, etc.).

I don’t know if your SCC (solar charge controllers) have this setting or not. My Victron mppt’s you can set a total charge rate and the mppt will communicate and not exceed that rate.

One other possible option would be to add another 24v battery (if there is room and budget) - look for a 24v battery instead of two 12v.

(I would probably add the second array even though it might go over - but my panels are flat - so I never see max power).

Good Luck
unfortunately there are not many setting for the panels or batteries on the epever and some they won't let you change. we just hooked up 2 more batteries so 4 all together makes 24v 200ah. we also resest all the epever settings. going to wait with the 2nd array of panels. more batteries are not in the budget at the moment.
what did you mean by your panels are "flat" ?

Good Luck
thanks for the info on the victron that makes me like it a lot more. i prefer privacy even if that is at the cost of convenience. maybe we should put the second array up as you suggest and turn it only on during heavy overcast days. then later add more batteries. sounds good. thanks again.

i took the advice an put a kill a watt on my refrigerator.
the epever still seems to be working it came back on after everything was shut down.
we added the 2 new batteries so now it is 24v 200ah. not much but all i got for now. also reset all the settings.
that's where we need more help. i'll attach the old and new settings and a picture of the panels and set up. maybe that is where our problem was hope the new ones are better. there are so many different opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_20221121_162112351~2.jpg
    IMG_20221121_162112351~2.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20221118_130140297_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221118_130140297_HDR.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20221118_130042295_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221118_130042295_HDR.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Lots of threads with this rehashed:
yes thanks. i read a lot of them. i believe that our settings may be the cause for the problems. they were much higher than they should be. to be honest i'm still confused on those. watched another video by off-grid garage last night and used his settings where it allowed me to do it.
so far so good.

You should start a thread for those settings, properly labeled will help: "EPEver settings for [setting1, setting 2,...]"

I wish i had a real answer, sorry.
did you see the sheet i attached? would that be enough as far as labeling is concerned? only the new settings of course. there are already so may threads for this though wouldn't that be too much? not sure yet if they will work for long. the others worked several months with a lot of warnings that i had no idea what they were about.
i am learning and this feedback is great. thanks

did you see the sheet i attached? would that be enough as far as labeling is concerned? only the new settings of course. there are already so may threads for this though wouldn't that be too much?
I was thinking that you only had a couple questionable settings.
Were you not able to find any that you liked in all the previous threads?

I think asking a couple specific questions about a couple settings would be well received. And by specific question, not "what value should i use".

I'd definitely post a screenshot/pic of all your settings though. Bonus points for annotating/circling ones that you question.

Just my gut feel. I'm nobody.

I was thinking that you only had a couple questionable settings.
Were you not able to find any that you liked in all the previous threads?

I think asking a couple specific questions about a couple settings would be well received. And by specific question, not "what value should i use".

I'd definitely post a screenshot/pic of all your settings though. Bonus points for annotating/circling ones that you question.

Just my gut feel. I'm nobody.
thank you MisterSandels,
it looks like my new setting are working out. no more alarms going off when the batteries are full and with the extra batteries we have plenty for the night. of course its only been a couple of days.

just a quick update. tested the refrigerator and it uses 720 watt average per 24 hrs. not as bad as i thought. rain tomorrow so we'll see if the batteries can handle it. they were full this afternoon.

just a quick update. tested the refrigerator and it uses 720 watt average per 24 hrs. not as bad as i thought. rain tomorrow so we'll see if the batteries can handle it. they were full this afternoon.
720Wh per day? What's the size of this fridge? That is pretty low power consumption.

720Wh per day? What's the size of this fridge? That is pretty low power consumption.
It's November. That's why. I've got a 18 cu.ft. frig in the kitchen, and what I've found is that it consumes ~1200-1300Wh in summer, and only ~750Wh in winter. That's because the kitchen is the furthest place in the cabin from the wood-stove and is naturally the coolest. It doesn't run as long keeping the food at 30something degrees when the kitchen is only 50something degrees.

Update on the new settings and additional batteries after 3 days rain.
i think it finally works.
here is the set up: 24v system, 800watt panels, 24v 200ah batteries (4x 12v 100ah)
100' ft run gauge 8 marine copper
load: 20 cu. ft refrigerator whirlpool wrt311fzdw01 icemaker not installed. usage about 720w/24hr average.

its been running for 3 days. started at 26.6v inverter reading monday morning around 11 am. no sun since only rain and dark overcast.
inverter reading this morning at about 10:30 was 26.0. it was 25.9 when i got up.
the epever remote readings at 11am
panels: 40.2v 2.2a
batteries: 26.3v 3.3a
load: 26.3v 0.2a
the weather is not changing today or tomorrow so we'll see how far i can push it. i only open the fridge a couple of times a day its mostly for storing.

Back