diy solar

diy solar

Inverter to RV’s 30amp power cord

Dalaman

I hope this is a simple question to answer: can I just plug in the power cord (for shore power) from the RV to my 3000w inverter? Reason: want to run 110 ac for my tv and device chargers plus all the 12v items already in the RV while I am boondocking. Should I turn off the RV’s converter while using this method?

You can supply 110V 30A input to your inverter. If your inverter is an inverter/charger, it should take care of keeping the batteries topped off, and you would want to unplug your converter to prevent unnecessary power consumption.

Most rv's have either a 30 amp plug or inlet.
Most inverters do not have this plug.
However most 3000 watt inverters support hardwire.

Then you will need to consider the neutral to ground bond.

Devil is in the details.

Also not all inverters like the chassis ground, negative power wire, and ground power connection all connected to the chassis.
Some inverters will need to use an isolated battery. Read the manual if inverter is compatible connecting to an RV distribution center.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you power the shore power from the inverter .... you want to shut off or disconnect the converter ..... otherwise, you create kind of a power loop.
Some of them have a breaker you can shut off .... others you may have to rig a way to do it yourself.

I hope this is a simple question to answer: can I just plug in the power cord (for shore power) from the RV to my 3000w inverter? Reason: want to run 110 ac for my tv and device chargers plus all the 12v items already in the RV while I am boondocking. Should I turn off the RV’s converter while using this method?
Man, that sure raises questions. How large is the battery? 12v, 24v or 48v system? Amp hour of battery? What inverter do you have? Have you checked to see how many watts each of these devices draw?

My roof ac alone takes 51 amps at 24v to run. 1200 watts minus some inverter losses.

You first need to determine load of each device and whether the battery is capable of running it.

It would work fine, if the inverter is UL listed brand name it would take care of the neutral/ground bond. If its a generic lower cost unit it probably doesn't, but there are workarounds to achieve the bond. Yes you need to turn off the charging portion of the converter if the inverter batteries are the ones being charged.....

Simple question... simple answer. Yes.

You can use the 30A-15A converter block and plug the shore power cord into the outlet on the face of the inverter and all of your AC circuits will be live the same as if plugged into a pedestal. No grounding issues as it's in the cord. Turn off the converter breaker in the RV panel when you are plugged into the inverter. Although it's a 30A cord you are using a 15A outlet so that limits what you can run. No AC. One high current load at a time (mwave, coffee maker, etc). How long and what you can run for depends on the size of the batteries

I hope this is a simple question to answer: can I just plug in the power cord (for shore power) from the RV to my 3000w inverter?
No. But maybe.
1) If it’s a 30A cord it will need a 15A adapter (I haven’t seen a 20A adapter but maybe they exist). The 3000W inverter is potentially 25A+
2) the 50A cords can only supply one leg with most commodity 120V inverters
Reason: want to run 110 ac for my tv and device chargers plus all the 12v items already in the RV while I am boondocking.
I have a 1200W inverter that’s had my 30A RV cord plugged into a 15A adapter for ~4 years.
>>>You could use an inverter that does not exceed 1800W (15A at 120VAC) with a 15A agapter on the 30A cord; OR one of the top shelf AIO or other inverters that are capable of supplying the two legs for the 50A cord.

The top shelf inverters probably all will be intended to be hardwired and a transfer switch involved either internally or separately.
Should I turn off the RV’s converter while using this method?
Yes. Always.

Back