diy solar

diy solar

Stand alone system for power in class A motorhome

The DC-DC charger is only useful if you want to charge the battery bank from the motorhome's alternator. If you don't want to charge from the alternator, then you don't need a DC-DC charger. just make sure that there isn't any charge coming from the starter battery/alternator to the house battery.

If you have enough solar and you're mostly in campgrounds with hookups, you don't need the charge from the alternator. My trailer's LiFePO4 battery bank is completely disconnected from the charge available from the tow vehicle.

I just wanted to add that there are Lithium BIMs for vehicles that work well. The typical RV around your RV year used Trombettas to isolate the house and vehicle batteries and also provide emergency vehicle start power should the vehicle battery become insufficient. If you have an EMER start switch on your dash somewhere, you likely have a Tormbetta. I used a Li-BIM to do the same and it keeps the vehicle and house batteries charged. I also have a generator.

I was able to use one as a direct replacement for the Trombetta. Your fitment may be different. I included links below for the one I chose but it could send you down an alternate path to your battery isolation concern.

Back story:
I have a 2017 Class C with a 4-batt LifePO4 battery bank. I have an onboard 4kw generator as a charging backup and plans for 1320w of solar in a 2S2P configuration to help with shading (trees). I charged the battery bank with the generator and, like you, I found it noisy, smelly and expensive.

Personally, I started down the solar path using what I could scrape off the internet - some good, other not so - only to find that I did things the 'old way'. Not necessarily wrong at the time but a lot of folks still use a FLA mentality which, when applied to LIT, is not as efficient as it should be to extend the life of and protect your investment.

I'll be snow-birding it in the same place for a while so I plan to hook to shore power, rip it apart and do it right - according to current methodologies.

You landed in the right place. A lot of knowledgeable people here who'll send you in the right direction, just cross check references. Differences of opinion are varied and inevitable.

Attachments

• BIM-LI225-Wiring.pdf
    619.4 KB · Views: 0
  • BIM-QuickGuide-LI225.pdf
    344.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BIM-Trombetta_To_LBIM-Wiring.jpg
    BIM-Trombetta_To_LBIM-Wiring.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1
Back