diy solar

diy solar

Inverters; Are these brands any good?

sabo

Found this on AliExpress
Inverter

Anyone have any knowledge of this brand BuyIt?

How about these brands?
Voltronic
EASun
MPP
Powland

I hear some are rebranded Voltronic. What are the differences between brands if the hardware is the same?

about all of the above are rebranded voltronics.
powland is a cheap clone...

i'm using the voltronic axpert 8000 max now, before i owned 2* mpp solar mpi 10k's.

the main difference between mpp and the others you mentioned is support, or rather lack there of.

the reason i choose the axpert this time is also simple : support and warranty.
i bought them from an european supplier and distributor, he has to abide eu regulation, therefor adding 2 years of extra support and a "local" point of contact in my timezone

Voltronix is an OEM that makes many models for various VARS (Value Added Resellers) like MPP, Growatt and such. VARS have their own specs and mods and this is quite evident when looking at an MPP & Growatt similar models side x side. Do not assume they are identical internally, most often only a few components may be exchangeable. Growatt is also a large manufacturer that deals more often with Grid Scale equipment and their entry into Residential a couple of years ago has been a boon as they forced a Quality Step-up on AIO's from China.

Voltronix makes "Value Grade" tier 3, Tier 2 and Tier 1 products for different VARS.
The same applies to Yiyen or Sigineer in China (Sigineer makes the Aims stuff).

You don't mention what country your setting up in. That may affect what products are available to you.
Victron, SolArk, Growatt Tier 1 & 2 quality products (most $ first), MPP solar Tier-2 Good Quality.

Midnite Solar (USA) has also just released their DIY Series of SCC's & Inverters with built-in SCC's. These are at a very good price for what they are and being backed by Midnite is good solid reference IMO.

BTW: Will has reviewed Growatt's & MPP Solar AIO's and highlights some of the differences. Those are worth your time to view.

Good Luck, Hope it Helps.

Thanks for all the helpful information.
My use will be off Grid Ground Mounted with @20 250W panels to start. My second Array will be roof mount. I want to be able to switch to house power when the sun sets. No batteries to start.
I like the higher VOC units as they seem like better for long term growth. I am in Southern California and the sun shines almost all year long from sunrise to sunset.

I run the MPP 3kW 48v, and it's worked flawlessly so far.
I didn't buy it from a Chinese vendor, with the possibility of a knock off copy, no support and problems with warranty claims, but from Ian in Utah.
Yes a few bucks more expensive but well worth it for peace of mind and knowing you are getting the genuine article with a warranty. Plus you will get it within a few days from ordering, rather than within a few decades if you order from China.

I run the MPP 3kW 48v, and it's worked flawlessly so far.
I didn't buy it from a Chinese vendor, with the possibility of a knock off copy, no support and problems with warranty claims, but from Ian in Utah.
Yes a few bucks more expensive but well worth it for peace of mind and knowing you are getting the genuine article with a warranty. Plus you will get it within a few days from ordering, rather than within a few decades if you order from China.
I bought two of the MPP LV6548's from Ian at Watts247 also. Great service and fast. Ian is also very helpful when you have questions.
Zero issues so far. I believe Sol-Ark is a US varient of Deye inverters.

about all of the above are rebranded voltronics.
powland is a cheap clone...

i'm using the voltronic axpert 8000 max now, before i owned 2* mpp solar mpi 10k's.

the main difference between mpp and the others you mentioned is support, or rather lack there of.

the reason i choose the axpert this time is also simple : support and warranty.
i bought them from an european supplier and distributor, he has to abide eu regulation, therefor adding 2 years of extra support and a "local" point of contact in my timezone
What european supplier and distributor did you buy from? ?

What european supplier and distributor did you buy from? ?
Solarpower24.it ( eu warrantee , support, and good bunch of guys doing good by their customers) I used as for the last inverters I bought, before that I bought directly from mpp solar ( before I found out solarpower24 sold voltronics in eu)

Voltacon ( uk, es) sells voltronics too, but no experience with them

Solarpower24.it ( eu warrantee , support, and good bunch of guys doing good by their customers) I used as for the last inverters I bought, before that I bought directly from mpp solar ( before I found out solarpower24 sold voltronics in eu)

Voltacon ( uk, es) sells voltronics too, but no experience with them
Nice. ? What Voltronic Axpert do you have?

I feel I need to speak up about something left unmentioned that is pretty important to most people and it applies globally. Home Insurance is a PITA and they take every step to avoid payouts which makes them a Pain but for good reason too... too many fools result in tight requirements.

Things to consider:
- What does YOUR Insurance company "require" to cover your solar system and any structures using it ?
- Does the equipment have to meet National/Regional Certifications such as UL, ETL, CSA etc... probably others too depending where you are.
- Does it have to be Professionally Installed or can you DIY ? (Assume a Pro install includes inspections & sign off)
- IF DIY is acceptable, will it also require an Electrical Inspection & sign off ?
FYI, Most companies DO REQUIRE certified Commercial equipment & Electrical Inspection & Sign Off BEFORE being Covered. Some companies will NOT deal with Solar at all.

DO YOU KNOW What is required by your insurance co ?
99% of mortgages require insurance and without it, your mortgage could be in danger or may not be renewed by the lenders.

A TWIST !!!
In some jurisdictions, you can GET AROUND certain issues by having a separate "Power House" which contains all the solar gear (Inverters/Batteries etc). They can either wave coverage on that structure or provide a separate rider to cover it independently. Again there is always the question of certifications & inspections and every company is different so...

There are many horror stories with regards to solar & insurance and the stupid games Insurance can play on people... Don't become one of those stories.

I feel I need to speak up about something left unmentioned that is pretty important to most people and it applies globally. Home Insurance is a PITA and they take every step to avoid payouts which makes them a Pain but for good reason too... too many fools result in tight requirements.

Things to consider:
- What does YOUR Insurance company "require" to cover your solar system and any structures using it ?
- Does the equipment have to meet National/Regional Certifications such as UL, ETL, CSA etc... probably others too depending where you are.
- Does it have to be Professionally Installed or can you DIY ? (Assume a Pro install includes inspections & sign off)
- IF DIY is acceptable, will it also require an Electrical Inspection & sign off ?
FYI, Most companies DO REQUIRE certified Commercial equipment & Electrical Inspection & Sign Off BEFORE being Covered. Some companies will NOT deal with Solar at all.

DO YOU KNOW What is required by your insurance co ?
99% of mortgages require insurance and without it, your mortgage could be in danger or may not be renewed by the lenders.

A TWIST !!!
In some jurisdictions, you can GET AROUND certain issues by having a separate "Power House" which contains all the solar gear (Inverters/Batteries etc). They can either wave coverage on that structure or provide a separate rider to cover it independently. Again there is always the question of certifications & inspections and every company is different so...

There are many horror stories with regards to solar & insurance and the stupid games Insurance can play on people... Don't become one of those stories.
Great post. Very valid and something many DIY folks don't take into account.
I have heard stories where an insurance company would not cover a lightning induced fire because the owner did not have his 10 gauge wires from his panels inside conduit. They will use any excuse not to pay.

Great post. Very valid and something many DIY folks don't take into account.
I have heard stories where an insurance company would not cover a lightning induced fire because the owner did not have his 10 gauge wires from his panels inside conduit. They will use any excuse not to pay.
Especially worsened by companies pulling out of various regions and areas while hardening up their requirements at the same time. Lot of folks are learning hard lessons right now and while it is making news it is being kept low key for now. Albeit folks in California, FLA and such are facing the issues hard now.

Nice. ? What Voltronic Axpert do you have?
8000 max, but replaced them a few months ago by sunsynk's..
Of 3 still have one looking for a new home, others are in use at friend, and runs his home at full satisfaction

Hi mate, I was wondering if you still have the chinese inverter/charger hybrid for sale? I was doing a bit of research into a cheaper system as my Victron Lifepo4 homemade off grid setup just burned to the ground in a wildfire here in Portugal. I am trying to get me and my business back on my feet asap and funds are tight. I saw you are trying to sell the last one of four units? I would be very interested! You can also call me on [redacted] Many thanks, Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate, I was wondering if you still have the chinese inverter/charger hybrid for sale? I was doing a bit of research into a cheaper system as my Victron Lifepo4 homemade off grid setup just burned to the ground in a wildfire here in Portugal. I am trying to get me and my business back on my feet asap and funds are tight. I saw you are trying to sell the last one of four units? I would be very interested! You can also call me on [redacted] Many thanks, Rick
Send you a PM, I would take your phone number off the public part of the forum

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate, I was wondering if you still have the chinese inverter/charger hybrid for sale? I was doing a bit of research into a cheaper system as my Victron Lifepo4 homemade off grid setup just burned to the ground in a wildfire here in Portugal. I am trying to get me and my business back on my feet asap and funds are tight. I saw you are trying to sell the last one of four units? I would be very interested! You can also call me on 00351 960153102 Many thanks, Rick
Wow, that sucks. My son just returned from Portugal yesterday. He loved it there. Where was the fire? A friend of mine recently had a similar issue with an Antifa guy setting his yard on fire ( he is adjacent to a forest). He actually chased him off the property, and thankfully was able to put it out before it spread.

Back