diy solar

diy solar

is it possible to charge a single Sulfated cell directly from a series of cells that are internal to a 12V FLA lead acid battery?

vivekgangwar02

hi,
Is it possible the way we can measure the voltage across cells in a FLA battery, we can also charge the individual cells?
before posting this I looked over some battery diagrams. I also tried to search this solution over the internet, I could not find any clue.
we can easily find chargers to charge a single sulfated cell, maybe we can give it the whole 12volts but just a little bit of current so automatically the voltages get dropped to the required.
The question is can I charge a single cell by dipping the two terminals of charge in electrolyte or by keeping one end at the battery terminal and other one in electrolyte?
1692293276496.png

No, you can't really do that. Unfortunately with MOST multi-cell lead acid batteries you are not able to access cell-level terminals or voltages at all without silly levels of effort. Typically what is done instead is 'equalization' charging where you push current through the battery and simply allow the stronger cells to 'overcharge' in moderation while the underperforming cell is 'brought up'. Just research equalization on lead acid and give it a shot, because the alternative in practical terms is 'give up and recycle it'.

You can drill a hole carefully and try to hit the connecting bar. Not much to lose by trying. Chances are the cell is partially shorted. I try to revive batteries for the science of it. Many that appear to be saved short a short time after.

Back