diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible to overclock a victron 75-15 solar controller?

12 volt system. It's my tent camping setup that uses my Board Build. I have no idea how much it pulled in per day. With two Interstate 12 volt Marine/RV batteries it kept things running good, powering my Starlink 24 hours a day and charging up phones and other small stuff with no problem.
Nicely done.

So you over paneled the SCC (not over clocked hahah) you stayed under short circuit current by having two arrays pointing different directions and you let the SCC clip, sure you don’t get max KWhr/day, but for a simple set up you’re maximizing your hours a day for that size SCC.

Requesting knowledge:
What if 300W of (nominal 12V) panels (series) into a Victron 100 20 feeding 24v 100Ah LFP? How is that different/better/worse than 12V battery of the system of Marcelo?

Don't think about panels as being 12v or 24v. Look at the specifications for Voc. If you series connect panels, the sum of the Voc for each panel must be under 100 volts. That limitation doesn't matter if your battery is 12v or 24v.

Where the 12v/24v battery comes into play is that the 24v battery system is going to allow the solar charge controller to use twice the watts as a 12v system will.

To find the right set of solar panels for a particular Victron solar charge controller, use the calculator on their website.

Requesting knowledge:
What if 300W of (nominal 12V) panels (series) into a Victron 100 20 feeding 24v 100Ah LFP? How is that different/better/worse than 12V battery of the system of Marcelo?
If the VOC works you’ll be fine, the SCC will just clip at 20A, but you’ll start hitting 20a earlier and later in the day.

Three of these on roof of camper shell, Victron 100 20 to Epoch 24V 100Ah. SCC output will be clipped?

Attachments

• 28CD2D02-774A-4FDA-8457-5B21DEA5D1E4.jpeg
    28CD2D02-774A-4FDA-8457-5B21DEA5D1E4.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 5
VOC looks good 60v for the string with 100v max.

As for clipping, at 24v lifepo a 20A SCC can output around 500w to the battery depending on your charge profile.

Knowing that nameplate of panels is optimistic in real world (typical 80%), I think the two 300w panels is better. Don’t be afraid of clipping.

Also easier to wire and mount 2 panels vs 3.

Requesting knowledge:
For a 24 volt system you must series wire the 3, 12 volt panels to achieve high enough voltage to efficiently charge with MPPT (there are 3 panels, right?)

The victron 15/75 is fine since it's for 15A at 75v, or I am missing something ?
Charge controller manufactures really should clarify this more when they advertise. The max panel voltage rated near the max amps always get the new folks. They always think its the panel side of things for both ratings.

Its 75v max panel in put and 15 Amps max BATTERY charge current. 15 amps x 14.6 BATTERY volts = 219 watts.

Just incase anyone new missed it.......

Back