diy solar

diy solar

Is it still possible to do a DIY install in TX. (Manor/Austin).

igillott

Hi I am new to this forum and appologise if this has been asked. I am trying to do a Solar DIY in Manor TX and can't seem to find a contractor who will help out with getting the county to approve a permit. Based on this thread about the NEC making it hard/impossible for anyone to install it now unless it's a full system is it even possible to permit a system now. Seems DIY is locked out of the market.

I have a signed off Electrical Engineering plan and also know how to install the rest, it's just the pesky Permitting part.

it's just the pesky Permitting part.
That must be a local issue. I pulled an Owner Builder permit in California nine months ago. There were a few extra questions that the permitting agency asked to make sure I was not being gamed by an unlicensed contractor.

It's different in every jurisdiction. Contact the permitting office to see what is needed.

Welcome to the party.

What does your city or county require? I usually walk in and ask them. Sometimes they say go away, we don't want to know what you are doing now. Sometimes we sit down and chat for a bit and I walk away knowing everything I need to know.

Last edited:
I am starting down the same path as you up here in Georgetown Texas in Williamson County. What I have found out so far is Williamson County does not require any permitting since I’m outside of the city limits. Are you in Williamson or Travis County? Are you in Manor’s city limits? If you’re doing grid tie you will have to go through Oncor with their permitting process. If you would like I can send you the link for Oncor’s permitting application.

Epp

Back