diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid in the city is illegal ?

I looked some time ago and all I could find for the "State", specifically said NEC requirements are delegated to "municipalities" and new NEC codes were automatically adopted, when released, every two years. Perhaps I read it wrong. Or other sources exist I could not find.
Well the way the plumbing is if you have your own well and you don't get caught you can pretty much get away with anything building wise. If you are on the grid at all or you have neighbors that hate you or you have county guys drive by then it can be a problem. Rural areas like you are talking about can be super relaxed and not enforce anything because they have that right. If I were you and I wanted to put in a transfer switch i would call your electrical provider and the counties building department and get permission, because in plumbing there approval is law and they may just say they don't care just make sure you are talking to the right one and record it so you can sue em if they try to hem you up later.

You absolutely can go partially or fully off grid in Florida.
As per the thread linked, a few of us here have done so or in my case still building.
But I was running just my AC compressor via solar panels laid around in my back yard when FPL were upgrading the lines to underground, and nothing was ever said to me about the lash up I had.
Solar sales people are the worst, tell them to eff off.
That's what I do. Run the ac off of solar saves about $300 a month.

Either of you guys have write ups on this?

Since I spent my whole weekend studying the Florida Building Code I think it might be good to start a thread where I can distill down all the rules I have discovered so far. This thread is kind of all over the palace now.

I would also like to get other folks to help. Like a small group that can help DIY folks and owner builders navigate the laws better. But I would like to keep it focused on just the laws and permitting.

Assuming such a department exist.
Someone has that authority in every Texas county. May not go by the title but certainly has the authority to assess fines and fees if so desired. Money and power is the name of the game.

Someone has that authority in every Texas county. May not go by the title but certainly has the authority to assess fines and fees if so desired. Money and power is the name of the game.
I do not know that to be true. Please point me to one link/reference/statute/etc. to support the assertion.

Certainly.
Reducing the attic heat buildup and reflecting the solar gain away from the roof will drastically reduce the energy bill.
And thw thermal insulation and attic sealing will better hold in winter heat.
My energy bill is the availability fee only, so it won't get much lower than that. But I get what you're saying. ;) How would reflecting solar gain away apply to a roof covered with panels?

A similar improvement is Gaines by moving the floor insulation to the perimeter of the crawlspace and sealing the earth with a pair of 12 mil liners.
I'm on a concrete slab, but I may end up investigating my options, at least around the perimeter. It does glow on the IR camera in winter.

This thread is kind of all over the palace now.
I'm sorry...

Last edited:
I do not know that to be true. Please point me to one link/reference/statute/etc. to support the assertion.
The sunset act in texas is the legislation governing plumbing law for all plumbing in Texas it doesn't matter which hidden corner you are in. Enforcement of said law is executive branch of government different branch of government if no local executive branch it doesn't mean I can't call in one of the 9 state employees who work in the executive branch and given state wide authority to assess you fines starting at $4000.00 and additional $1000.00 for each day you have a leach field septic instead of the new more expensive aerobic septic.

Last edited:
Since I spent my whole weekend studying the Florida Building Code I think it might be good to start a thread where I can distill down all the rules I have discovered so far. This thread is kind of all over the palace now.

I would also like to get other folks to help. Like a small group that can help DIY folks and owner builders navigate the laws better. But I would like to keep it focused on just the laws and permitting.
I agree this thread has gone wayyy off topic but I still think you are overcomplicating the situation. For a 1kw solar setup running a single 20 amp circuit, just install a simple generator transfer switch with a permit and keep your mouth shut about solar. Just don't install panels on your house and noone is gonna bother you if you install a few panels on a shed or a homemade ground mount.

I still think you are overcomplicating the situation. For a 1kw solar setup running a single 20 amp circuit, just install a simple generator transfer switch with a permit and keep your mouth shut about solar. Just don't install panels on your house and no one is gonna bother you if you install a few panels on a shed or a homemade ground mount.

Absolutely. I am on the same page. But my 1kw setup is just for me to study real word vs. my math. I was not going to install on my roof. Ground mounting 4 panels is not going to raise any problems, and if it did, it is no problem for me to disconnect them.

The takeaway is that this is suppose to be a prelude to a whole house system.

I already have a generator transfer that was permitted years ago (Florida, hurricanes, generator, as it were). It however does the whole house. For this little test I will need to pull my one circuit off the main panel, install separate isolated panel that is fed directly from my inverter. Now doing that may not be permittable and I will have to cheat it. I am not the type that likes to do such a thing but, 'say la vie'.

At least for me personally, when you decide to make your dedicated thread to regulations in Florida, I would like to encourage you to put the information in the section of the forum that is all set up for it.

For very selfish reasons - it makes it easier for me to find it in the future and it sounds like you are making real progress on making it easier to understand.

I am a homeowner in Florida. I started down the road of DIY solar and now find that there is a quagmire of rules and restrictions. What is worse is that I can't seem to verify any truth or facts. If someone says that I am not allowed to do something, that is fine, but I would like to see the laws for myself.

I have been told that I cannot install solar myself and must hire a company. - Can't find the law though.
I have been told that any solar installed on my property must be connected to the grid. - Can't find that law either.
I though I would just go pull a permit, make some drawing, follow some codes, get inspected and all would be good... Not how it is working out though.

Do I need a contractor or a lawyer? Holy smokes!
Yeah...same here in Denver Metro Area... I actually placed an order for panels etc yesterday thinking I'd go rogue but then backed out an canceled...may still do it or not....what they don't know and all that....

I'd be very skeptical about that 'grid tie requirement' ... can't imagine that is a law/requirement...

Last edited:
Absolutely. I am on the same page. But my 1kw setup is just for me to study real word vs. my math. I was not going to install on my roof. Ground mounting 4 panels is not going to raise any problems, and if it did, it is no problem for me to disconnect them.

The takeaway is that this is suppose to be a prelude to a whole house system.

I already have a generator transfer that was permitted years ago (Florida, hurricanes, generator, as it were). It however does the whole house. For this little test I will need to pull my one circuit off the main panel, install separate isolated panel that is fed directly from my inverter. Now doing that may not be permittable and I will have to cheat it. I am not the type that likes to do such a thing but, 'say la vie'.

Again, you are overcomplicating for a single circuit. The EZ generator transfer switch I mentioned earlier is UL listed and costs $89. It's very easy to get approved.

The sunset act in texas is the legislation governing plumbing law for all plumbing in Texas it doesn't matter which hidden corner you are in. Enforcement of said law is executive branch of government different branch of government if no local executive branch it doesn't mean I can't call in one of the 9 state employees who work in the executive branch and given state wide authority to assess you fines starting at $4000.00 and additional $1000.00 for each day you have a leach field septic instead of the new more expensive aerobic septic.
OK, how does plumbing apply to solar?

OK, how does plumbing apply to solar?
Simple the state legislation is what governs plumbing in all of texas it is the only relevant facts for the argument. Customers of mine living in the country have argued for years that I don't have to follow plumbing code where they live so my price should be cheaper and I should take shortcuts that they approve. I however am licensed thru the state of Texas and must protect my own license.

In solar the misunderstanding of when a permit needs pulling and what standards are set by the government also all falls under the state electrical legislation to the best of my knowledge. I am not trying to keep you from using your property as you see fit that is the legislation doing that. I am just making you knowledgeable of what they will use if they ever have the manpower to come after you.

Go here to look into the state laws in electrical. https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/electricians/laws-rules.htm
I thought your argument was based on thinking that because you live in a very sparcely populated area that the laws for city work don't apply to you I am trying to show you thats not the case although the enforcement of law is 1000 times greater in the cities the laws are not city dependent or county they are state dependent. However cities and counties have the ability to make laws more restrictive but not less.

I thought your argument was based on thinking that because you live in a very sparcely populated area that the laws for city work...
Right that was not it. I am trying to locate any law/rule/regulation related to solar for the state of Texas.

...state dependent.
Can you point to one state law regarding solar? So far solar is only mentioned as regards to HOA limits, as far as I can find.

Back