diy solar

diy solar

Off-grid in the city is illegal ?

Right that was not it. I am trying to locate any law/rule/regulation related to solar for the state of Texas.

Can you point to one state law regarding solar? So far solar is only mentioned as regards to HOA limits, as far as I can find.
Because "solar" is a way of describing an electrical system that runs off of a certain source of electricity all electrical codes and laws apply to "solar" just like they apply to coal, oil, nuclear, hydro, windfarm or bicycle with alternator means of producing electricity. I think what you are getting hung up on is the differentiation between on grid and off grid and the governments perceived scope of authority. There is a fine line that solar able to be claimed as "off grid" does not fall under the authority for government legislation but like every other issue at some point I believe that freedom will be stolen from the people under the guise of safety. However you are right that right now if you produce and build your own electrical system completely separate from the grid and not tied in mostly you are free from being governed by their 1200+chapters of electrical laws. However it sounds like people are getting hit with some structural laws when they mount panels on the roof so be aware of that also. Also if in the future Texas does bring off grid into the fold your system will be "grandfathered" in most likely, but if anything should break down on that system then under law all things grandfathered must be brought into code compliance at that point and depending on how badly out of compliance this could very well mean replacing the whole or major parts of the system.

However you are right that right now if you produce and build your own electrical system completely separate from the grid and not tied in mostly you are free from being governed by their 1200+chapters of electrical laws.
The building codes still apply, whether you are on the grid or off grid. Just adding a circuit, technically requires a building permit in most jurisdictions.

The building codes still apply, whether you are on the grid or off grid. Just adding a circuit, technically requires a building permit in most jurisdictions.
Of course there are ways around that if technically it doesn't do anything structural to your home such as putting the panels in the yard. Or using a solar generator.

I think what you are getting hung up on is the differentiation between on grid and off grid and the governments perceived scope of authority.
That is not the case. I was looking for laws regarding SOLAR. Like ground mounts must be made of pine or all external metal must be galvanized. Actual laws/regulations for the state.

I started this discussion (hijacked thread) because you wrote "In Texas off grid is legal without permit up until the transfer switch."
I wrote "Can you provide a link to the relevant "permit" statue that applies to Texas".

Time for me to exit the hijacked portion of this thread.

The type of mounting would be building code and building permit as those are structural questions. It doesn't matter if you are going to build a structure with a solar roof or any other type of roof that falls under building code.

That is not the case. I was looking for laws regarding SOLAR. Like ground mounts must be made of pine or all external metal must be galvanized. Actual laws/regulations for the state.

I started this discussion (hijacked thread) because you wrote "In Texas off grid is legal without permit up until the transfer switch."
I wrote "Can you provide a link to the relevant "permit" statue that applies to Texas".

Time for me to exit the hijacked portion of this thread.
The transfer switch bring an off grid system to an on grid system which then also transfers all electrical code into enforcement on the solar system

The transfer switch bring an off grid system to an on grid system which then also transfers all electrical code into enforcement on the solar system
No it does not. A transfer switch makes certain that an online load and an offline load can never connect. It is literally impossible to connect the two loads with a transfer switch

No it does not. A transfer switch makes certain that an online load and an offline load can never connect. It is literally impossible to connect the two loads with a transfer switch
It depends on the type of transfer switching. Some inverters like Sol-Arks allow pass through. So two power sources to the loads can be achieved. Also, Sol-Ark and an ATS can allow backfeed to the grid when the grid is present and automatically stop backfeed when the grid goes down.

This is incorrect. A transfer switch switches a load (or Subpanel full of loads) from an off-grid power source to the grid.

The loads / Subpanel must be wired in compliance with all electrical code but the solar system is off-grid only and does not need to be approved for export / grid connection.

It depends on the type of transfer switching. Some inverters like Sol-Arks allow pass through. So two power sources to the loads can be achieved. Also, Sol-Ark and an ATS can allow backfeed to the grid when the grid is present and automatically stop backfeed when the grid goes down.
I thought we were taking about external transfer switches…

This is incorrect. A transfer switch switches a load (or Subpanel full of loads) from an off-grid power source to the grid.

The loads / Subpanel must be wired in compliance with all electrical code but the solar system is off-grid only and does not need to be approved for export / grid connection.
I was not speaking towards the technical aspect of the switch but the legality of the consideration of off-grid vs on-grid. All I know is what business owners and professionals have told me in Texas and when and where you have to follow all electrical codes in Texas.

I thought we were talking about external transfer switches as well...

Last edited:
I thought we were taking about external transfer switches…
Sure. With an external ATS, you can be powering loads from multiple sources. And protect backfeeding grid when grid power goes down.

Sure. With an external ATS, you can be powering loads from multiple sources. And protect backfeeding grid when grid power goes down.
Yes, but you can also use an ATS to switch loads between one of two power sources (in which case the off-grid power source is always off-grid and does not need to follow the rules for grid-tied solar installation).

Back