diy solar

diy solar

Solar Install Mistakes - Warnings

rmharrington

Just a list of solar planning and install mistakes that may save you money.

#1 If going via permitting, get your plans finished before buying anything or installing anything

#2 Pay attention to fine details. Even products manufactured by the same company don't always function as one.

#3 Getting the federal tax break doesn't require that you install a sanctioned permit process

#4 Learn what your AHJ requires, then compare the price increase related to that requirement

#5 Pouring concrete is labor intensive and costly

#6 Unless you DIY off grid and without permitting, even something as simple as the Bright Mount racking system requires lots of holes and a major concrete investment.

#7 For married men - The longer the project drags out, the more ansy becomes your wife. lol.

So, what am I saying. Installing DIY solar that follows all of the permitting requirements is never as cheap and easy as videos and comments make it appear. So, go slowly, and don't lift your first screwdiver until your plans are fully settled within your own head. Or, if you're doing a permitted packaged install, don't buy or do anything until your plans are created and approved.

Here's hoping this saves someone a bit of frustration.

Rm

Even without permits, the brightmount concrete was quite a job for me. I used 8x 4' high 8" sonotubes buried 2.5' in the ground. With rebar and anchor bolts. And then made all the concrete from bags and a drum mixer.

But then I look at the other options, and I'll still probably do it again for the next array.

Back