diy solar

diy solar

Is the Daly 200A BMS reliable? Or better options with a semi-flexible budget?

TROLL

First and foremost, I'm looking for reliability. If I can do this at a low cost then great, but I don't want to buy something cheap and not be able to trust it.

My setup is 8x Sinopoly 200Ah 3.2v cells set up in 2P4S to make a 400Ah 12.8v battery.
I have a Magnum 2000w inverter that powers a 1400w electric hot water heater, a 1800w toaster oven, a 1300w microwave, and a ~1200w induction cooktop (one at a time of course).
Currently I don't have any individual cell protections or balancing in place and I think it would be nice to have these things.
Right now I just have low voltage protections that cut off below 12v: a Victron Battery Protect for 12v sources, and my Magnum inverter for 110v sources. I have a Victron 702 and temp sensor that triggers an alarm for high and low voltages and temperatures, but they don't do anything.

So... I know Will and others talk about the Daly BMS -- they have a 200A 12v version -- is this a good choice to handle 150A max (for 10-15 minutes maximum)?
Is getting a smaller Daly and wiring in a 200A relay to operate the switch any more beneficial? Seems like one more component to wire and worry about.
Also -- AliExpress specs on the 200A version say it does not have temp protection, and additional modifications are needed for it to work. What does that mean?

Daly 200A 12v BMS: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852570488.html?spm=a2g1y.12024536.productList_8288666.subject_4

Are there any other BMS that I should consider?

I've been using this setup for about a year now full time without a BMS but have hiccups every once in a while and a BMS should help automate and correct for this.

*bonus question: any suggestions on how to make DIY compression straps/plates on a 8 cell setup that arranged 4x2?

Is there anywhere easy to purchase these, possibly in the US?
To throw some others into the mix, I see Smart123 BMS, and... Orion JR. as well.
They're all $500ish though, I think? Unfortunately its not super easy and obvious to sift through to find the correct thing and pricing for most of these.

Nope, $#@$ bank of america international wire charges......when I got my REC 3 years ago.
The Orion Jr. Ive seen a happy user on an rv forum, did not recall that one was also $500 bucks!
I started with the REC and later went to the Batrium because it supports the cells i'm using better and can do near 20ah a day of imbalance correction. But I am using mostly used nissan g2 leaf cells.

I got another SMA unit so will be using the REC again.

Some of the Daly BMS now support bluetooth and serial. For those looking at BMS's make sure you get one that allows you to see wtf it is doing. LED's or display something to know how things are for those that dont use contactors/

@TROLL I;d like to talk to you about your experience on using the Sinopoly 200Ah batteries on the boat. I have some ideas that might be different than those of daily users in a land based home. If your open, let me know when a good time to talk is.

I also have a Magnum 2812 and will be implementing a move to LiFepo4 here soon

Attached is the REC price list they sent me a month ago for people in the US.

Attachments

• Pricelist for REC Active BMS_Victron.pdf
    59.7 KB · Views: 67
The one thing I like on the REC vs Batrium is the display. Batrium I need a pc connected to view and REC has an optional display. This is also a good option for those who DON'T need CAN for say an SMA 6048 and plan to stay at 24v with the BYD units. http://www.chargery.com/BMS8T.asp

Back